Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2010
Marty

msulc is on a distinguished road
Connecticut Towns & Marinas

Hi, We are looking to move our 42' sailboat (6' draft) to Connecticut for the summer. We checked out Old Saybrook and Mystic over the weekend.

We really liked Mystic because of the proximity to the town but we are looking for possibly cheaper marinas. Also, something with decent Amtrak trips to NYC as I would take the train into the city on Monday morning and then back on Thursday evening.

New London seems to have very cheap slip rentals but it seems like a lot of people complain about the waves from the ferries that go back and forth.

Does anybody have recommendations on reasonably priced marinas or and other city areas that might work for a boat of our size? Are the waves really bad at the marinas in New London?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2010
Tom Kringstad

tkringstad is on a distinguished road
Are you partial to being at the eastern end of Long Island Sound, or are you considering points further west as well? A couple marinas in Stamford, CT are within walking distance to the train station. Being west of New Haven also gives you the option to use the Metro-North Commuter line which runs to Grand Central Station.
Old 04-05-2010

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
First of all your right about New London and the ferry wakes I think Colvin marina is pretty protected in New London. My wife and I love being in Mystic because we walk to town to the restaurants or dingy to the public dingy dock. The train station is walking distance from most marinas. The sailing is great and convenient to most week-ender spots. All in all I think it a great place to be. I been Mid sound (Westbrook and Clinton) and I'll tell you that I much prefer being in Mystic. But your right it's a trade off. You will probably pay higher slip prices because the demand is there. I'm probably in one of the most expensive marina's (Brewers) but they have a pool and easy access to fisher's island sound w/o any bridges and still in walking distance of everything. It the quality of life/cost trade off. If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer

Dave
2007 Hunter 49
Old 04-05-2010
Marty

Thanks for the responses.
Tom, we are considering all options right now. We just slipped in and out of Stamford real quickly though. We only drove by the Brewer's but that looked like a big construction zone. Which marinas would you recommend out there?

Dave, Thanks for the information. We really like the atmosphere up there as well and the ability to walk to town. We drove around most of the marinas on Saturday and Sunday and talked to some people at Fort Rachel and Mystic Shipyard (I think).
Old 04-05-2010
Tom Kringstad

A couple years ago we stayed at a few of the Brewer's marinas on our way back to RI from NYC, including those in Stamford, Stratford and Branford. We happen to be customers of Brewer's in RI and so had some reciprocal privileges at other Brewer marinas which made it convenient. I'm sure there are many other marinas that would make nice options. As for the Stamford location specifically, you're right that there appears to be a good amount of construction in the area between the marina and the train station. It just happens to be very convenient to the train station.

What I recall of the Stratford location, the marinas are located along a river and depending on the tide there is a current to deal with, though it wasn't bad. Across the river from the marina is a marshy wildlife area and it's a pleasant location. I just looked at a map again, and this facility is also within walking distance of the train station. (less than a mile) I don't think Amtrak services this train station, but you're still close enough that you can use the Metro-North Commuter service.

Branford was very nice. It's close to the Thimble Islands area, and the marinas are well protected. We stayed here for several days waiting out a storm and within the marina area it was hard to tell the weather was bad at all. It's a pleasant town, though a bit of a walk. It's also east of New Haven so I think the rail options to NYC are a bit more limited.

Have you looked at the MapTech Embassy Cruising Guide books? They have good descriptions of marinas with pictures and listings of marinas along with their services, etc. I found these to be very helpful.
Old 04-05-2010
Marty

Thanks for the response Tom. We haven't looked at the cruising guide books (been waiting to figure out if we were doing Chesapeake or Long Island Sound). But, I think I will go pick one up this week anyway since it sounds like it would be very helpful.
Old 04-05-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
When you were near Old Saybrook did you check out Essex?

Brewer Dauntless Shipyard, Essex CT
Old 04-05-2010
Marty

We did not check out Essex but will give them a call. Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-05-2010
Tom Kringstad

How close are you hoping to be to the rail stations? Will you have a car or bicycle available, or will you largely be hoofing it from the marina to public transport?

Old Saybrook is the closest train station to the Essex marina, about 5 miles away. Rail options from there to NYC are limited to Amtrak regional service (Acela does not stop here) or you can take the Shoreline East service which runs to New Haven and then and transfer to Amtrak or Metro North Commuter rail.
Old 04-05-2010
Marty

Hey Tom, We will have a car but walking distance would be ideal. Driving to the train will work almost all of the time if needed. Didn't know about the Shoreline East service so thanks for that tip.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.