Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2010

ddonoho is on a distinguished road
Leaving the US

My wife and I are US citizens and had to clear through US customs when we flew from Houston to Jamaica. Then again we cleared customs before boarding a cruise ship in Seattle that had a stop in Canada. I can't find information about clearing out in my own boat to travel to the Bahamas (or anywhere else). I hope we still live in a free country and we can leave when we want to but that has not been our experience. I don't know why we where put through the ID formalities on commercial carriers. I've looked at US Customs sites and all they want to talk about is what hoops we must jump through when we want to reenter.
There has to be a thousand of you that know the answer to this.
Thanks.
dd
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2010

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
[QUOTE] ddonoho wrote: I hope we still live in a free country and we can leave when we want to but that has not been our experience. I don't know why we where put through the ID formalities on commercial carriers. I've looked at US Customs sites and all they want to talk about is what hoops we must jump through when we want to reenter.
There has to be a thousand of you that know the answer to this./QUOTE]

9/11
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-26-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
Ha.

You're hilarious. 9-11 did not cause this kind of erosion of our freedom. The erosion of our freedoms was the cause of 9.11.

Just look at the video tape.
Honestly, an airplane made that building fall into it's own footprint?
What about WTC7 that fell all on its own?
How about the pentagon? Why won't anyone give a sufficient explanation of what happened to the pentagon? The jet just shot right into the middle and disappeared?
I don't care honestly who caused 9-11, it could have been terrorists, or the US government, or any number of other agents. The point I am trying to make is that the response by our government was opportunistic and orwellian.

It doesn't matter whether or not it was an "inside job." The important thing to realize is that our government failed to protect our rights as citizens in their reaction.

Now tell me again that 9-11 was the antecedent, and the loss of our freedom was the consequent.
Old 04-26-2010

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Ha.

You're hilarious. 9-11 did not cause this kind of erosion of our freedom. The erosion of our freedoms was the cause of 9.11.

How about the pentagon? Why won't anyone give a sufficient explanation of what happened to the pentagon? The jet just shot right into the middle and disappeared?
I don't care honestly who caused 9-11, it could have been terrorists, or the US government, or any number of other agents. The point I am trying to make is that the response by our government was opportunistic and orwellian.

It doesn't matter whether or not it was an "inside job." The important thing to realize is that our government failed to protect our rights as citizens in their reaction.

Now tell me again that 9-11 was the antecedent, and the loss of our freedom was the consequent.
Trains leaving the station.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-26-2010

FSMike is on a distinguished road
I dare say the reason you were put through the id hoops on commercial carriers was because you were on commercial carriers.
If you want to leave the US for the Bahamas just leave. The Bahamas doesn't care if you cleared out of the USA. Be forewarned - other countries do not necessarily feel the same way.
The important thing to do for the Bahamas is to make sure you have all the bases covered as to what is required to get back into the US. Your life will be a lot simpler if you are aware of what's necessary beforehand.
Old 04-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Gotta ask if you wear a tinfoil hat when you leave your house...
Quote:
Ha.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-26-2010

ronspiker is on a distinguished road
Part of the reason for clearing customs to leave the country is to 'VERIFY' you have the proper documentation to re-enter. The one thing you don't want to do is leave then not be able to get back....
Old 04-26-2010

scraph is on a distinguished road
The cause of the complete collapse of the World Trade Center buildings on September 11, 2001 has been analyzed, organized, and presented. For an objective analyst (not one who enters into every subject of debate with a decision made in spite of propenderence of evidence), the discussion of the collapse is thorough and sound in engineering analysis. The arguments I have read to the analysis are generally incorrect, poorly developed, or simply red herrings. For example ... one "engineer" claimed that the building couldn't have possibly fallen under the heat of jet fuel (and therefore, it must have been thermite) because ... jet fuel doesn't burn hot enough to _melt_ the metal used. Simple response, phase transformation of metals can occur well below its melting point.

I can't decide whether that story is incorrect, poorly developed, or a red herring. The implication that metal must melt in order for a structure to fail is assuredly a red herring. However, it could have been engineering ignorance (as opposed to willful deception) which led to this vein of conspiracy theory.

In short, taking the position that every terrorist act in recent history was perpetrated by no one in particular while maintaining that it is all in the government master plan leaves your grounded in only one respect ... you are solidly a nutcase.

Granted, just because it's a conspiracy theory doesn't make it untrue ... however, it still leaves you a paranoid nut.
Old 04-26-2010

kredit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ha.

well said... but remember my fellow patriot of lifelong conditioning,america is founded,built and i run on slavery. Endentured servant would be a more pÝroper term as we all know that slavery ended when that slave owning pres. fought gallantly for africans to be free...to fight for him a gain control over southern stubbornesss to "industrialize".

freedoms the carrot at the end of the stick to make you bust a nut . it exists but only in civilized society. like here in norway and some gated community in florida.

9-11, whoever dun-it, is nothing more than another bottle of conditioner in your red,white and blue shower stall.Time to take a bath ,please!
Old 04-26-2010
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
I don't need a tinfoil hat. Today I had the misfortune of having to stop at Barefoot Landing Marina in North Myrtle Beach,SC. The winds were too high to open the swing bridge. My choices were to turn back against the wind and tides or take a slip for the night at $1.50 a foot. I reluctantly took a slip. One of the dock hands had an attitude "I can't let you tie up, you have to take a slip for the night or leave, I can fill the slip" after dockng A large motor yacht 50-60' pulled up behind me and said he was only staying for lunch, and got an "OK no problem"
So as to make the best of this lost travel day I decided to walk to the Supermarket, across town. My 6 year old daughter wanted to come along and off we walked. I purchased $60 worth of groceries, put them in a back pack (except the bread) and started to walk back to the dock.
Halfway back 3 police cruisers pulled up and wanted to see ID, asked me if I was homeless and proof that my daughter was my child. After I already said I was docked at the barefoot landing and showed a reciept, and explained we were sailing the ICW north and were being delayed by the bridge closing . they then loaded me into the police car and went to the dock and demanded to see "proof" my daughter was in fact MY daughter because they "recieved a complaint" that "an older man was seen walking with a young child" then proceeded to question her mother and us for about a half hour. Finally leaving us and all along saying over and again how they were understandably just looking out for everyones best interests.
SO, I guess I should be grateful ?
But I feel violated, and a bit embarrassed as it all took place right on the dock in front of a restaurant full of vacationers and I'm still docked here waiting for the bridge !
I think the real issue was I am an old bald fat guy who isn't wearing $100 sperry topsiders and matching polo and shorts.
They also questioned our choice of home-schooling even after we showed them our letter of intent from the state we reside in. Even asking if my daughter had ever attended public school. To which I replied "when would she ? she just turned 6 !!!"
Police state ? not a far leap.