Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010

Funsail is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Funsail Send a message via AIM to Funsail Send a message via MSN to Funsail Send a message via Yahoo to Funsail
Fishing License

O.k.
I've searched this forum and others.
Can not find an answer to this question.
For those traveling full time along the east coast,
Maine to Florida including the keys.
What do you do about fishing licenses?
Buy 'em all, don't fish, Stay on the down low, Don't ask? What?

Thanks
Old 05-03-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Search NOAA (National registry required).

Search each state by typing "fishing permit."

Not hard, really.

Yes, some of the states do require saltwater permits, and some of the fines are hefty. Generally, though, you can plead stupid off-shore. But don't try the "stupid" ploy in any of the bays.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2010

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
Not required in gulf of mexico east of ms river at this time in most states .Compliments of BP.marc
Old 05-04-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Per the NOAA Site; "Fishing in nearshore waters (0-3 miles) is governed by state regulations, except in Florida and Texas where the state controls fishing out to 9 miles. Fishing outside of state waters and for highly migratory species is set by the Regional Fishery Management Councils and by NOAA."

Look here fore more detail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 05-04-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
I wouldn’t recommend the playing stupid option. That doesn’t go over well with the judges down here in the keys.

You should refrain from fishing within at least 3 miles from shore. If you are going in beyond 3 miles, you better make sure that you do not have any freshly caught fish on board. Also you will need to make sure that you are under any daily bag limits for any fish that you have stored on board. This is just from what I have been reading, but you may want to conduct more research on your own or call your local fish and wildlife department for guidance.

Old 05-04-2010
South Seas Dreamer

asburyjohnny is on a distinguished road
This is one area the feds need to get involved in. It is fairly arbitrary as to the imaginary stae lines. I live in NJ but berth my boat in NY. At any time I may float over the imaginary line from one state to the other thereby needing license in both states? So you are correct in being confused. This salt water license is a nightmare yet to be challenged successfully. As with most ideas government comes up with money plays a much more significant role than common sense or any reality. Salt water licensing if "necessary" should be one of the few areas the Federal government should mandate, not individual states.
Old 05-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
I wouldn’t recommend the playing stupid option. That doesn’t go over well with the judges down here in the keys.

You should refrain from fishing within at least 3 miles from shore. If you are going in beyond 3 miles, you better make sure that you do not have any freshly caught fish on board. Also you will need to make sure that you are under any daily bag limits for any fish that you have stored on board. This is just from what I have been reading, but you may want to conduct more research on your own or call your local fish and wildlife department for guidance.
You are correct - playing stupid is bad. I was trying to emphasize that the original poster had not made a real search.

The rules are many. For example, on the Chesapeake Bay, you can catch striped bass, but you cannot eat them on a boat, only on shore. They have handed out tickets for that. Go figure.

Old 05-04-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
The rules are many. For example, on the Chesapeake Bay, you can catch striped bass, but you cannot eat them on a boat, only on shore. They have handed out tickets for that. Go figure.
If there are quota or size limits for any fish that you catch, then you should not filet it out on the water if you are within the distance for state regulations. They only do this so that they can ensure that you are following the rules. For cruisers, it can be difficult since you want to filet it as soon as possible and get it down below.

Old 05-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
If there are quota or size limits for any fish that you catch, then you should not fillet it out on the water if you are within the distance for state regulations. They only do this so that they can ensure that you are following the rules. For cruisers, it can be difficult since you want to fillet it as soon as possible and get it down below.
Oh, I understand the intent and I understand the reason. But for a Chesapeake Bay sailor, we can never leave regulated waters. It's a drag with no simple solution.

Old 05-05-2010

norsearayder is on a distinguished road
to catch tuna and other pelagics on your way up and down ,you need a recreational permit from noaa ,i think it costs about $25 which is not bad if catch at least one.many rules about the size you can take and also the amout .for bluefin tuna ,47 inch minimum & 1 per day.these rules may change during the open season june 1st to dec 30th