Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2010

Dolby is on a distinguished road
Info on St. Augustine Inlet

Im sitting in Savannah and thinking of heading out and then back in @ St Aug...I have about 5 ft draft...looking for anyone who has used this inlet and may have some insight on how to navigate through
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
It's pretty straightforward - there are a lot of temporary cans and if you honor them you'll have plenty of water. We came through about a month ago. If you're really nervous time it for near high tide. You have about a 5-foot tidal range in St Aug.

Have a good sail!
Old 05-10-2010

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
You'll want to do it in good light as the entrance is hard to see from sea otherwise. There can be a strong current so you want to go in at slack current. You especially don't want a full ebb against an East wind. Otherwise it's as eryka said prettty staight forward. We anchor on the side of Bridge of Lions that we are heading ie southside if are heading south northside if we are heading north. Either side has good holding but the north side is exposed to easterlies. The current is quite strong in both directions so be prepared for a 180 degree swing. There are good marinas with the Municipal Marina being close to the action of downtown St. Augutine but with a lot of current and there is still construction work as they tear down the temporary Bridge of Lions. The reconditioning of the Bridge of Lions has been completed and it looks fanatastic.
Old 05-10-2010

xsboats is on a distinguished road
Aside from when the winds are out of a northerly direction , I stick close to the green side on the way in. With a 6'draft, I make a point of entering the channel no later than the second pair of channel markers. There is a nasty shoal just outside of the channel to the north adjacent to the third pair. You will see the breakers.If you are staying more than a night and want to go dockside, I would recommend River's Edge Marina on the San Sebastion River.It is the closest decent marina to groceries, West Marine, and has a great restaurant/bar.
Old 05-10-2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
There can be a strong current so you want to go in at slack current. You especially don't want a full ebb against an East wind.
Excellent point. We entered and exited at slack to avoid "docking drama" and didn't even think to remind you of this caution. We stayed at the municipal marina right in the middle of downtown and were treated well. Check out the A1A Ale House if you're in the area - I'm always a sucker for microbrew beer.
Old 05-10-2010
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Also, be aware that there is the ICW channel going off to starboard as you get inside.

The three times I have arrived and departed from there, I had little problem with the Inlet itself.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-10-2010

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
Also, be aware that there is the ICW channel going off to starboard as you get inside.
I have been in and out a couple of times on an off shore fishing boat and the crossing channels can be confusing.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 05-10-2010

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
We anchor on the side of Bridge of Lions that we are heading ie southside if are heading south northside if we are heading north. Either side has good holding but the north side is exposed to easterlies.
Slightly off topic...

I heard that the city was putting in several mooring fields and will no longer allowing anchoring. Have you heard any more on this? Do you have any comments?
Sorry about the thread hijack.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 05-10-2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Slightly off topic...

I heard that the city was putting in several mooring fields and will no longer allowing anchoring. Have you heard any more on this? Do you have any comments?
Sorry about the thread hijack.
Apparently they've been saying this for some time. I asked the dockmaster about this when we were there last month and he said they'd be going in this summer. But then again, when I asked him the same question last fall, he said they were putting them in last winter. <*sigh*>
Old 05-10-2010
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
That's good to know,even if inexact. Anchoring, at least on the north side of the Bridge of Lions can be a bit frustrating if you aren't quite adept at it.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog