SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Oregon Inlet NC

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  chef2sail 
#1 ·
I will be leaving Annapolis MD in two weeks, headed south. This is our first trip. Oregon Inlet seems a good alternative to canals and bridges that are involved in the ICW route. Does anyone have experience sailing this route, connecting to Morehead City and out?
Our lives are still bound and tied to schedules right now, and time is a big factor. It would be a big help to hear ideas from everyone!
Paul Mills
pmills@telenet.net

#2 ·
Have you learned anything? I have been told to go on to Okrakoke inlet but that is 20 hours of ocean. I am waiting to hear from another source. I hear 65 to 67 as clearance but the inlet shifts and is best navigated with some local knowledge which is hard to find.

#3 · (Edited)
mpdan,
I've been out Okracoke several times recently on a sportsfishing boat and have done it in the past on a shoal draft 30' C&C. I really wouldn't recommend it unless you are very experienced and have local knowledge. These inlets shoal and shift a great deal and can be very rough. I don't think the time saved (if any) are worth the risk and if you can't get in then it is a very long sail to go out and around Cape Lookout. I think that you would be much better off to stay in the ICW to Morehead. If you are continuing south from there then I would recommend hopping offshore and running down to Masonboro inlet at Wrightsville Beach. As for Oregon Inlet, it's a no go right now. It's shoaling so badly that the Coastguard is talking about shutting it down to recreational and commercial traffic.
James

#4 ·
I have spoken with Pirate's cove and the Coast Guard now. The Coast Guard actually sugested I avoid North Carolina. Since that is my destination it really is not an option. I am planning to remove my antenna and windex at Norfolk and travel the sound rather than the Alligator river where ghe 64 foot bridge is. Hopefully I will not need a pull over. I have a 360 so hopefully if it is too close, going under sideways might allow me to keep from damaging my mast. There's always something.

#5 ·
Oregon is a dangerous Inlet with shifting shoals. Opposing winds and tides a problem and can create 15 foot rollers across a narrow winding shifting rub through bouys in the inlet. I would avoid. Okracoke is a little better but not much.

I have gone ICW around NC a few times as well as once on the Carrabean 1500 on the outside. I would avoid Diamond shoals off of Hatteras at all costs as it is usually very rough there.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.