Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010

ramminjammin is on a distinguished road
Nantucket Sound " just passing through"

I'll be charting a course through Nantucket sound to Nova Scotia in a couple of weeks. My draft is about two and a half feet , width 24 feet , length 40 feet

I have been using the active captain site , and it looks like keeping to the the north side of vinyard sound is the shortest route, as i will be bearing up north once i clear monomoy shoals

it looks like a channel just off monomoy point where i can pass through into the gulf of maine.

Any local knowledge would be appreciated

thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Any reason to not use the Cape Cod Canal? Doing that would keep you in protected waters longer.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 05-10-2010

Brad

I hadn't thought about that .
I didn't know it was there to be honest.

I looked it up on the chart doh

thanks
looks like a good route :>

Last edited by ramminjammin; 05-10-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2010
S/V Antares

rwy36 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramminjammin View Post

Any local knowledge would be appreciated
You may want to consider picking up a copy of Eldridge's Tide and Pilot Book which might help you avoid opposing tides and perhaps take some advantage of fair ones. Eldridge is available at Defender or West Marine (and probably other marine outlets as well). It's important to be aware that the tidal strength can be significant through the New England area, and particularly near Martha's Vineyard Sound, Woods Hole and the Cape Cod Canal.

In my view, care should always be taken to be mindful of the tides and how the weather (e.g. brisk opposing winds) might be interacting with them, or how navigation plans (e.g. target time of arrival) might possibly be influenced.

Best of luck with your journey,

Bill
Old 05-10-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Cape Cod Canal requires you to motor IIRC.

The problem with the whole Monomoy area is that the sand bars shift constantly, and local knowledge is pretty key. I would recommend going east while south of Handkerchief Shoal and northeast to Pollack Rip and the Pollack Rip Channel. Then you've got a pretty clear shot north, but I recommend crossing the VTS shipping channel that runs NW-SE just NE of Pollack Rip Channel as quickly as possible.

Eldridge is a necessity. Also, I would recommend getting The Cruising Guide to the New England Coast for the trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-11-2010

thanks sailingdog and rwy 36
i appreciate your help

I have been using the opencpn program with the noaa charts , it has
current and tide information so I will try to get a handle on that

I have also been reading that i will have to be aware of tides coming up through new york too.
Old 05-11-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Be very aware that entering the CCC with a southwest wind can be a very interesting experience.. even in a boat as large as yours. Even a fairly light SW wind can result in 10'+ standing waves and a washing machine like environment at the Buzzards Bay entrance to the CCC.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-11-2010
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
I find that as long as you don't go against the current, the standing waves at the west end of the CCC are not so bad. Going east, once you pass under the railroad bridge, you are past the worst of it. The rest of it is just fast motoring. Stay to the right as there can be large container barges under tow, so you want to pass them port to port. Monitor channel 13. Everything is very well marked, but it can get foggy (although once in the guts of canal the fog always seems to go away).
Old 05-11-2010

xxuxx is on a distinguished road
Lagerhorn channel

One of the fastest routes I've often used is the Lagerhorn Channel. Makes for a smooth passing regardless of wind direction IMHO
Old 05-11-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxuxx View Post
One of the fastest routes I've often used is the Lagerhorn Channel. Makes for a smooth passing regardless of wind direction IMHO
OK, I'll bite...where is the Lagerhorn Channel?