Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Back from one year cruise

I have not been on Sailnet much in the last year because I have been, well, sailing. My wife lost her job at a financial company in Jersey last April so our cruising plans were quickly moved up. We left Liberty Landing in Jersey City in early May (the nice people at the marina let us out of our dock contract for 2010-1) and were soon the only boat cruising in Long Island Sound in cool and wet weather (but we had our choice of anchorages). Our quick departure meant we were doing installs of things like solar panels and a Monitor steering system at anchor but it worked out fine.

After tootling around in the Sound for a time we did a shakedown to Bermuda and back in early June then headed north and east again. Our plan was to go Maine but we were T-boned by a Marshall catboat while on a mooring in Plymouth, MA (don't ask how that happened - I can't explain). That meant a month there while we got the damage fixed and the topsides painted, so no Maine cruise.

Headed south to the Chesapeake and then went offshore to St Thomas (11 days). Decided to go south quickly and come back north slowly so, after three weeks in the BVIs had a couple of overnights and got to St Vincent after about a week. Spent over a month in the Grenadines and Grenada (both wonderful) and then came up-island visiting the places we skipped on the way down, like Martinique, St Lucia, Dominica, Guadeloupe, St Martin, Antigua, PR and the Bahamas. Left the boat in Fort Pierce in prep for next year's adventures. The Caribbean cruise was intended to provide an overview of the Eastern Caribbean and it did.

Some overall conclusions (in no particular order)
  • had a great time overall; highly recommend the experience
  • even adjancent islands are remarkably different, both geographically and culturally
  • people you meet, both on boats and locals are friendly and accommodating
  • fewer problems and concerns than I expected re security, boat boys, etc
  • cost was less than I expected
  • really helpful and enjoyable to get involved in local cruiser communities
  • best to pick your spots for provisioning and boat stuff buying
  • entering into and clearing out of so many countries is a pain at times
  • you could spend a looong time cruising in the area we visited quickly
  • the offshore passage down is not be taken lightly but gets you there quickly
  • the Thorny Path is a long, slow way to get there but better for less capable boats
  • Europeans tend to cruise on smaller boats (25-28') than North Americans
  • Brits seem to have almost all of the huge (>150') sailboats
  • Norwegians, South African and Canadian boats seemed tp present in larger than expected numbers
  • fewer US boats that might be expected (economy?)
  • fewer charter boats than I expected, even in BVI
  • the French and Dutch have done a better job with their former colonies than the British
  • an asymmetric spinnaker means you get to sail a lot more than you would otherwise
  • further south you go the nicer the weather
  • you *really* come to appreciate how important distance to windward is; even when you are in St Thomas you have a long way to got to windward
  • Chris Parker's weather forecasts are most helpful

In total we did about 6400 miles and sailed about 850 hours and motored about 330 hours (including into and out of harbours/anchorages and motorsailing. The Bristol 45.5 did wonderfully well, whether on passage (five days with 25-35 knots west and south of Bermuda) or as a home in harbour. We had no major failures and had only one major purchase - a new windlass because the price in St Martin was very attractive and I was not confident in our almost 30 year old windlass (that did not offer power down or have a manual setting for emergencies.

Ainia is almost ready to go again. I think I will replace the standing rigging because I do not know how old it is. I also need to replace some running rigging. We have decided not to keep the varnish up on the massive toe rail and rubrail since we will be in the tropics for the foreseeable future. The new windlass is in a different spot and I will build some partial bulkheads in the forepeak to improve storage efficiency.

Comments and questions welcome.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Welcome back....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-22-2010

AlanBrown is on a distinguished road
Great trip report!

I'm amazed that you were able to include so many interesting observations in such a short post.

Where to next?
Old 05-22-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Fantastic write-up! Thanks for the info.
Old 05-22-2010
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for that.

The bulleted items are gems.
Old 05-22-2010

SOUNDBOUNDER is on a distinguished road
Some interesting observations you made about the size of boats, and the former colonies.
Other than the Plymouth incident, it appears you had a very good voyage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-22-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Next ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBrown View Post
Great trip report!

I'm amazed that you were able to include so many interesting observations in such a short post.

Where to next?
We are hoping to start a circumnavigation in the fall. We would like to go via the Galapagos/Easter Island and Pitcairn on our way to the Marquesas and New Zealand for hurricane season. We are investigating the possibility of going to China in 2012.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 05-22-2010

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Wonderful report and I pray that the boat that T-boned you was insured.
Old 05-23-2010
NewSailor

CptHank is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the great post and information killarney_sailor!
Old 05-23-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

It was insured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
Wonderful report and I pray that the boat that T-boned you was insured.
The owner was below and his adult daughter was at the helm. He was horrified and his insurance came through although they were very slow. We paid the difference (~$4000) and got the whole boat painted. It worked out well since the paint job was needed and we went from dark blue to light gray which seems to me to make more sense for extended cruising in warm places. Our only loss was the month's sailing in Maine.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.