Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2003

GordMay is on a distinguished road
Cruising & War?

Anyone care to share opinions on how cruisers are likely be affected by the events surrounding USA et al vs Iraq (particularilly those /w USA & UK flags)?
I suppose the Middle East will be "out of bounds" for a while; but what about elsewhere?
How have your plans changed, if at all?
Respectfully,
Gord
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2003

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Cruising & War?

I agree that the middle east is not a good cruising choice, but increasingly, people recognize the distinction between a citizen and his government, and they don''t blame the citizen for the actions of his government. I think the way you are treated will continue to depend primarily on how you treat the people you encounter. (In this answer, I don''t mean to imply whether I agree or disagree with US actions in Iraq, and hope this discussion doesn''t go in that direction.)
Old 03-21-2003

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Cruising & War?

Gord, I found the timing of your question interesting as we''re about to jump off for a multi-year period in Europe and the Med and, while we''ve discussed the more complicated environment, don''t see any reason to change our general plan. OTOH a family we are close to are thinking of walking away from their airline tickets (non-refundable) to the UK and a week''s stay in Devonshire. I think this reflects the fact that travel plans are much more a victim of one''s personal risk tolerance and willingness to deal with the unexpected than they are political events.

Also, Sailorman is exactly right if our experience is any indication: we''ve been in a number of countries recently that have been treated poorly by the U.S., at least in the eyes of those citizens. And we''ve yet to have our first negative experience at the country level (tho'' there certainly are individual exceptions).

Jack
Old 03-22-2003

FTHOMSON is on a distinguished road
Cruising & War?

First off, let me say that I have enjoyed the conversations here,learning some new things and relearning some things I thought I knew. Reading the advice given to others by some very knowledgeable people has helped me as well. And the humour, well what can I say except to quote that crusty old Pirate Of Pine Island :" Sea Yawl ". :-)

I am at the end of my contract here in the middle east and my wife Dasi is two months away from finishing hers. Dasi and I plan to cruise the Med begining late May and eventaully wind our way west and eventually end up in Vancouver, Canada. Two years plus.

Oh, btw... Dasi is the Skipper, I''m the Chief Engineer. We found it to be the best arrangement.
(Easy Big Red... there were some female pirates too.) :-)

We purchased our 36'' Choey Lee "Polonaise" two years ago and Dasi moved aboard full time about 6 months after. As I work in the Sinai and Dasi works in Israel, it has been a bit of a challenge to maintain both a marriage and our sailboat but we have a dream that we worked for. Weekends were spent together overhauling some things, repairing others, and some out and out replacements. Short holidays spent sailing the coast of Israel, Ashkelon to Akko shaking down the boat and the occasional trip to Cyprus. Except for all the
little jobs that are always there to do, all we have left to do is haul out, check the zincs, paint her bottom (the BOAT''S not Dasi''s! :-] ), change out the stuff in the stuffing box, and have our life raft serviced.

After four years here, it is finally time to go. With the war in Iraq just kicking off, I am even more restless to get moving. In a less than 10 days I shall be moving aboard to live with my mate again.

So thanks for the conversations, the knowledge and the fun. Many thanks to Sailnet for the great service. If
you happen to be cruising in the Med and you see "Polonaise I" stop in for a cold beer.

We''ll drop in from time to time to say hi but until then; Fair Winds.

Frederick Thomson
Force Information Systems Manager
El Gorah, Sinai, Egypt
Old 03-23-2003

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
Cruising & War?

Ahoy, FTHOMSON, Me like female Pirates! Be Carefull and fair winds and calm seas are your only true worry. War will be over before you leave trust me. For those of you folks thats got a case of the nerves in general about the war the end result is going to be a more peacefull world, trust me, I was talking wit God the other day and he asked me to give him a hand and pass the word. Course it cost him a favor but he''s been good about paying his debts. AARRGGHH Pirate of Pine Island
Old 03-23-2003

ocean_lady2003 is on a distinguished road
Cruising & War?

Well, sitting in the middle of the Med, I agree with not showing a US flag in middle east. Could end up a little difficult. But the rest of the Med is safe.
Makes me pretty happy reading, that you folks don''t all agree with your goverment.
However, if you stop buy in Malta and you come across a 28 foot sailor called Ocean Lady just come by. I''d like to share a couple of local beers with you.

Happy sailing!
Old 03-24-2003

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Cruising & War?

Ocean Lady,

I haven''t interpreted the above posts to imply that the posters do, or do not, support the actions of the U.S. We don''t have to let politics intrude into every aspect of our lives. We can all be friendly and cordial as long as we are talking about sailing. If I want to discuss politics, I''d rather discuss it with people I don''t really like anyway.
Old 03-24-2003

ocean_lady2003 is on a distinguished road
Cruising & War?

Sailormon6,
Sorry, wasn''t realy meant like that, didn''t want to start a politcal discussion. But beeing out here in Malta, sailors form all over the world cruising the Med stopping here for maintenance, staying during winter or just passing by for a visit. The war and how it effects cruising plans for this season are things what we sailors around here talking about most. So coming up questions for US citicens cruising the southern Med to change their flag or how save is it in general to pass the suez canal and beeing at it, the question I am most intrested in is how does it effect our season, sailing around with tourists. Without beeing political, the war in Iraq is something of interest for all sailors here in the southern Med.
How ever forgive me for giving the impression, wanting to start a political discussion.
Much more, I wanted to say, youre welcome around here and still if you''re cruising the Med and come across my little boat, stop by for a beer or two and I promiss, we are not talking politics. Talking about sailing is more fun anyway.
Old 03-24-2003

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
Cruising & War?

Ahoy Dis here be one irritated Pirate whens I here some blithering idiot say you should not fly the Americian Flag in foreign waters. To not do so makes you a traitor and a woosee. Iffin ye scoundrels ain''t able to claim your US Birthright wit pride den don''t come back. As far a politics is concerned den try and find a corner of the planet where it don''t exist. Aye I be a pirate and fly me flag wit pride but when I sees dem Stars and Stripes comming I turn tail and run cause I know better than to fool wit the greatest country on the planet. Go U.S.A. dis here pirate be hearing theres a gonna be a white sale in Iraq soon! Pirate Of Pine Island
Old 04-08-2003

Priceless is on a distinguished road
Cruising & War?

I have more empathy for Adrian Brody''s take. But isn''t it obvious that the thing to do is to avoid areas where flying his national ensign makes the captain concerned for his welfare? That''s an answer to the nautical part of the question. The other is the political part. And where is that forum by the way?

Fair winds, Frank