Is there a low cost three stateroom circumnavigator out there? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010
Catalina 36 Liveaboard

thorrad is on a distinguished road
Is there a low cost three stateroom circumnavigator out there?

Hi folks,

I have been looking around here for a while and would love to hear some ideas about any well built older boats that could be suitable for a family of liveaboards with a yen for circumnavigation. Our family currently lives aboard on a Catalina 36 in Seattle and we are looking to get a three stateroom boat that is sturdy enough to sail around but still affordable to us. I have seen some flap about the Beneteau First series and would also like opinions about any other boats. Length/comfort is not as important as suitability and construction. I have lived aboard long enough to realize that while we spend most of our time on a dock, there is no replacement for a solid hull and good rigging when you need them. (read: "I won't take my Catalina out there!")

Which are your favorites in a boat that could be had for under 100K on today's market? Is there a boat that could be had for under 75K?

I do realize that this is indeed a challenge and if I am barking up the wrong tree, I appreciate you letting me know. I do think that there must be something out there that will work for us.

Thanks for your help!

Thor
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey thor - welcome to SN dude.

There's tons of info on here - as well as many, many salts that will talk you through just about anything.

While you're waiting for some responses you can start poking around in this thread: The Salt's Corner Table

It's a thread with some of the best info to some of the most asked questions around here - including yours. And you can see who some of the go-to guys are.

Enjoy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Some of the mid-30' boats had two aft-cabins and a forward cabin, and might work for you.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-18-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Look for an ex charter boat The Beneteau 50/51 charter versions have 4 staterooms [each ensuite I think?]There are lots about and many go for less than 100k.

Also the 44 foot 3 stateroom Beneteau was a popular charter boat and there are LOTS around for sale between 70 and 100k.

The charter companies seem to be switching to enormous cats and ditching their monohulls as fast as possible. I was in the Virgin Islands this year during November - January and the marinas were stuffed to the gunnels with charter monohulls going nowhere.

N.B. a Bendytoy might not be my first choice for a RTW boat but a lot have made the trip.

Last edited by TQA; 06-18-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I wouldn't call a lot of the charter trade boats circumnavigators... and most boats that are 40-50' LOA and selling for <$75,000 are going to be in need of some serious work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Look for an ex charter boat The Beneteau 50/51 charter versions have 4 staterooms [each ensuite I think?]There are lots about and many go for less than 100k.

Also the 44 foot 3 stateroom Beneteau was a popular charter boat and there are LOTS around for sale between 70 and 100k.

The charter companies seem to be switching to enormous cats and ditching their monohulls as fast as possible. I was in the Virgin Islands this year during November - January and the marinas were stuffed to the gunnels with charter monohulls going nowhere.

N.B. a Bendytoy might not be my first choice for a RTW boat but a lot have made the trip.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-23-2010

serenity440 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I wouldn't call a lot of the charter trade boats circumnavigators... and most boats that are 40-50' LOA and selling for <$75,000 are going to be in need of some serious work.
I have to disagree about price dictating the condition of the vessel. I personally purchased a charter Beneteau, granted it it was 11 years out of service, it was in the low price range with little need of attention and further dollars.

After purchasing here in the range you describe only two years ago I have put less than $6000 in two years for repairs and to keep her up to date.

I decided upon the model I wanted and then I looked at every example available in the world. This resulted in finding the boat in the right market where she was under valued and so a great deal without compromising.

Cheers

Last edited by serenity440; 08-23-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
By "three stateroom", I am assuming you mean three separate sleeping cabins, as opposed to two sleeping cabins plus the main salon.

This configuration is not very common in the <45 foot range, except among the "charter boat" builders.

But there are a few that were built a bit sturdier. One that comes to mind in your price range is the C&C Landfall 43. Many but not all of these have a third cabin in the starboard walk-through to the aft cabin. I also seem to recall that a few of the Peterson 44s had a similar configuration (but most did not).

Now, if your voyage was going to be more of a coastwise, island hop variety, I would suggest something like an earlier Catalian 42 tri-cabin. I would take one of those to the Caribbean, maybe even Bermuda. (But if the itinerary involved more significant ocean passages, I'd look at something more robust.)

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 08-24-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
To be honest, wouldn't a crusing catamaran be more appropriate in this situation?
Old 08-24-2010
Catalina 36 Liveaboard

thorrad is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info guys! keep it coming. I like the Landfall idea best so far as 43 is about as big as I ever want to get.

Yes the idea here is to have three separate staterooms (or two and a crew bunk with a solid barrier).

I haven't ruled out catamarans but I am mostly a marina liveaboard and they are tricky due to their width.
Old 08-24-2010

serenity440 is on a distinguished road
I have the Beneteau 440 which is 3 cabin/3 head configuration. She is a quick boat, a blast to sail and very roomy for living aboard. I have sailed her in most in shore conditions often single handed and will be taking her from Seattle to San Francisco next week. I will be going to Hawaii next and then beyond. She is not full keep by I have full confidence in her ability to take me where ever I desire.

Cheers