Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
The "live aboard" bug again bites again

Lately with trying to keep up with the house, fixing it up,mortgage, housemates that seem to think just paying rent is all they should do. I'm thinking how much nicer it would be to have a 36ft or larger boat all to myself sitting at a nice marina. (2 cabins a must) Can you hear the big sigh? SIGH

I know it's far from romantic and practical in this climate, and I actually think the west coast would be more for me. I really hate hot weather! over 80 is too hot! (not going to do well in hell!)

I could probably outfit my O30 to be a live aboard, but my list of wants would be overkill for the boat and it's age. New Yanmar, folding prop, shaft, genset (not possible) ac and heat, (I'm in the hvac biz so that's not a prob) New sails and a double head sail with new furling gear. Much of All that would be easier found in another boat I know. (another Big sigh)

Oh well back to mopping the kitchen floor!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Sell it all!

Is it a possibility down the road? Make it happen.

I had an interview the other week and got the typical, where do you see yourself in 5 years... I told them, ultimately I like to be able to work from my boat! Boy did that get some looks, especially since I live in Ohio. People just don't think that way here.

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 06-19-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Oh well back to mopping the kitchen floor!
None of us is going to live forever, DeniseO!

Maybe you can find another inconsiderate housemate to replace you!

Let all of the people in the house fight it out for the title of "most inconsiderate".

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-19-2010

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
Not to taunt you, Denise, but I lived aboard my Catalina 36 for several years in Marina del Rey in L.A. and it was absolutely HEAVEN. I say do it now before you accumulate a ton of cr@p that you will talk yourself into believing that you can't live without. That's where I am now. Having married, bought a house, raised a kid, divorced (I'm such a cliche), I think about moving back aboard when I retire. But, "where would I put the 70" TV, and how could I live without high speed internet, where would I keep the cars and motorcycles, how about the laundry", etc, etc, etc.

Do it now, you only go around once.

Mike
Old 06-20-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
closer than you think?

Denise, if you look again at your wish list, most of the items are about sailing, not about living aboard. Consider the very small investment you'd need to make your present boat comfortable to live on at a marina: electric space heaters for winter, portable A/C for summer. The extra happiness you might have, and the money you can save - since you're already paying for the slip in addition to your rent/mortgage, which you'd no longer pay - will enable you to save quickly for the 36-footer, new yanmar, folding prop, etc.

Of course, any time I provide advice like that you have to consider the source, living aboard for 8 years now, so I'm biaseed that way <*smile*>
Old 06-20-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Eryka...love your boat BTW...very cool

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 06-20-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Listen to Eryka... what she says makes a lot of sense...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-20-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I'm listening! thanks Eryka! I'm actually kind of spoiled being at a YC. It costs me less then $600 a yr to keep my boat. We have moorings though.
I do love the Eastern shore of Ches. Bay and suppose that's where I'll wind up one way or another.

my current "project"!
Old 06-20-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Denise,

Unless you plan to follow the seasons up and down a coast (either one) you'll want A/C. In-built heat beats the heck out of space heaters.

A/C means either a genset or a slip. The DC A/C systems exist but the power draw is still too high for long-term on the hook without a generator.

I tend to agree with your inclination that making a liveaboard out of your ODay 30 would result in too big an investment in that boat. I'd encourage you not to get too big. In my experience the costs for slips and--more importantly--the availability of slips above 42 - 43 feet is really limiting. I'm perfectly happy single-handing boats up to 47 - 50 feet, but I'm very glad I bought a 40 and not a 43 or bigger.

@MikeinLA - All of the things you mentioned, except perhaps for the 70" TV can be managed.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 06-20-2010
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
When I decided to retire early and liveaboard, I did so knowing it wouldn't always be what I hoped for, but, that it would be better than what I had. That I think, is the question you are facing.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog