SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Shade Tree Awning System? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/65760-shade-tree-awning-system.html)

ThirdCoastSailor 06-19-2010 01:53 PM

Shade Tree Awning System?

Does anyone have any experience with this awning system? If so, what do you think about it?

SVAuspicious 06-19-2010 06:03 PM

I have a set. They absolutely work -- temperature reduction below of 10 - 15 deg F. I have found I don't use them much since it is one more thing to put up and take down everyday. If you are more patient and tolerant than I you might really love them.

ThirdCoastSailor 06-20-2010 11:30 AM

Thanks for the info. We're in Texas and it's pretty darn hot down here right now so 10 to 15 degrees cooler sounds good to me.

TCS

skipgundlach 06-20-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdCoastSailor (Post 614811)
Does anyone have any experience with this awning system? If so, what do you think about it?

We have a custom set; you can see ours installed in the 2009 refit/new stuff gallery by clicking the link in my sig and following it down.

We love it. Ditto the temperature experiences...

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at Web-Folio -- Your Portfolio on the Web !
Follow us at TheFlyingPigLog : Morgan 461 Hull #2, Flying Pig
and/or Flying Pig Log | Google Groups

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power to
make it come true. You may have to work for it however."
(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand. You seek problems because you need their gifts."

(Richard Bach, in Illusions - The Reluctant Messiah)

remetau 06-20-2010 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We love it too. We have used it now for about 3 years. They can be a little noisy in higher winds since they attach to the lifelines, but it is negligible especially for the great shade provided. We can put it up in about 10 minutes. We had one made for us since we have a canoe stern, and the company was a pleasure to work with.

ThirdCoastSailor 06-21-2010 11:23 PM

Folks,

Thanks for the pics and feedback. Sounds like its a go.

TCS

Yorksailor 06-23-2010 03:22 PM

They are great but a silver reflective tarp form Home Depot is about 1/10 th of the cost...That is what we use...

lshick 06-23-2010 03:50 PM

People who have them seem to like them. One tradeoff to be aware of: many folks put them up very high (see the photo in the earlier post), which makes it easy to walk fore-and-aft below the awning, but allows morning and afternoon sun to bypass the awning and cook the boat as if there were no awning present.

zz4gta 06-23-2010 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorksailor (Post 616172)
They are great but a silver reflective tarp form Home Depot is about 1/10 th of the cost...That is what we use...

Bingo! It's also waterproof.

skipgundlach 07-05-2010 05:47 PM

For lots of pix of an installed system, go to Pictures: Flying Pig Refit 2009/Repairs_And_Upgrades/Rigging which is inside the 2009Refit/upgrades/rigging in my gallery seen in my sig line...

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at Web-Folio -- Your Portfolio on the Web !
Follow us at TheFlyingPigLog : Morgan 461 Hull #2, Flying Pig
and/or Flying Pig Log | Google Groups

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power to
make it come true. You may have to work for it however."
(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand. You seek problems because you need their gifts."

(Richard Bach, in Illusions - The Reluctant Messiah)