Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Since you are a programmer you should look into TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux

Encrypt anything important and don't worry about it.

For some stuff the safest place my be your lawyers safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbwebs View Post
It is also my primary navigation and there is undoubtedly a great deal of security information embedded within the data contents.

Jack
A simple handheld chartplotter is about $300 and would be a good backup.
I personally would not combine my work computer with primary navigation.
The battery requirements alone would worry me.
But that is a personal assessment of course.
Old 06-23-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I think a lot depends on where you are going to be, how much freedom you want, etc. If you're going to be on the boat in Florida, that's one thing, if you're going to be away from the boat for weeks in Brazil, something else entirely.

Probably the easiest thing to do is minimize the amount of valuables you have on board, does she really need the ruby tennis bracelet while cruising ?

Cameras and computers are getting so cheap now it might be better to worry about the stuff you paid an arm and a leg for at West Marine.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that theft prevention isn't a thing of absolutes... most thieves are opportunists, and like when you're walking in the woods with a friend and run in to a grizzly bear, you don't have to out run the bear...you just have to out run your friend... If you make your boat a bit more secure and difficult to deal with than the next one, then chances are high that the thieves will move on.

Let's face it, a guy with a sawzall or fire axe can really remove anything from a fiberglass boat given a bit of time... and no lock or metal grate is going to be able to stop him. He can just chop through the deck.

There are marine safes, but again, I think that makes it far more likely that you'll get broken into, unless the safe is well concealed. Deception and concealment are far better strategies on a sailboat than safes IMHO.

There are small dry bags that would hold most of your valuables that could be fairly easily stashed in locations that most people wouldn't think to look. If eryka had used a drybag on a string, the bills wouldn't have been moldy more likely than not.

One point about the computers... the real value of a computer isn't the hardware, as hardware prices are ridiculously low nowadays. The real value is the data... and some computers will allow you to boot off an external USB harddrive... those can easily be safeguarded by backing up and hiding the external USB drive.

As for safeguarding data... most modern operating systems have fairly heavy encryption built in. Mac OSX and Windows 7 both allow encryption of your home drive with effectively unbreakable encryption techniques, with no need for aftermarket software.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 06-24-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-24-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
In the storage spaces behind the couch/settee I installed some library shelves with false bottoms.if you didnt know the spaces are there you would not notice them on casual inspection.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 06-24-2010

Doh.... but dont tell any scoundrels my trick... lol

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 06-24-2010

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post
Doh.... but dont tell any scoundrels my trick... lol
I see a trip to North Texas in my near future!

On a more serious note. There are just too many small, out of the way places on a sailboat to hide valuables. Each boat is different so that makes it harder for a thief to effectively search each nook and cranny. Just leave a couple of hundred bucks in chart table and hopefully the thief will leave happy and not do any more searching.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 06-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanbc View Post
I see a trip to North Texas in my near future!

On a more serious note. There are just too many small, out of the way places on a sailboat to hide valuables.
Looks like IM making a trip to Zotz in Port Aransas to look for small out of the way places!!!

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 06-24-2010

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post
Looks like IM making a trip to Zotz in Port Aransas to look for small out of the way places!!!
Just look in the chart table and you'll find a couple of hundred bucks.

Of course, you might find my stash of poisonous snakes, too.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 06-24-2010

hmmmm..... sounds like there could be a movie in there.... snakes on a plane... snakes on a boat.... snakes on a dinky... etc etc etc.... lol.

have a great weekend guys/gals.
Q

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.