Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2010
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post

One point about the computers... the real value of a computer isn't the hardware, as hardware prices are ridiculously low nowadays. The real value is the data... and some computers will allow you to boot off an external USB harddrive... those can easily be safeguarded by backing up and hiding the external USB drive.

I don't think people are stealing electronics and computers for the data. They are stealing it for the hardware. They don't want your cruising pictures. They want a computer to use or sell.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
While that is true...you're missing my point. If your computer is stolen... what are you going to miss—the data... not the hardware, which is much easier to replace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by therapy23 View Post
I don't think people are stealing electronics and computers for the data. They are stealing it for the hardware. They don't want your cruising pictures. They want a computer to use or sell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-25-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
If you still have valuables, you haven't spent nearly enough on the refit.
Old 06-25-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
true...very true...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-25-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
While that is true...you're missing my point. If your computer is stolen... what are you going to miss—the data... not the hardware, which is much easier to replace...
That's only assuming you're in the US or other techno-developed location!

I thought hardware would be the easy part too, which is why I posted the suggestion about double backups early in this thread. However, it may not be that simple, depending on where you're cruising. If you're (for example) on one of the smaller less developed islands - which may still have bad people! - it may not be as easy to replace your hardware as going to the nearest BestBuy in the U.S. In fact, if you're depending on your laptop for communications, navigation, weather forecasts ... you may miss the piece of hardware even more urgently than the photos, music, and whatever data.
Old 06-25-2010
Telstar 28

One of my friends who is out cruising noted that when their boat was broken into in the really undeveloped areas, the computers and other high-tech stuff was left mostly alone... they don't really have much of a resale market there. In the semi-developed areas, the laptops seem to be more of a target... however, IMHO, the hardware is still the most easily replaceable part of the computer setup.

If your laptop is the sole method you have of communicating and getting navigation, weather and other passage related information, you're probably doing something wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
That's only assuming you're in the US or other techno-developed location!

I thought hardware would be the easy part too, which is why I posted the suggestion about double backups early in this thread. However, it may not be that simple, depending on where you're cruising. If you're (for example) on one of the smaller less developed islands - which may still have bad people! - it may not be as easy to replace your hardware as going to the nearest BestBuy in the U.S. In fact, if you're depending on your laptop for communications, navigation, weather forecasts ... you may miss the piece of hardware even more urgently than the photos, music, and whatever data.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 06-25-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Old 06-25-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Keep a wallet with some out of date credit cards and a few 1 dollar bills somewhere obvious.

I too have a laptop that I use everyday and while I keep it out of site if I am going to be away from the boat for any lenght of time it is a pain so I often just leave it on the table. I might build a slide job under the table so that I could put it away in seconds and it would be safe on passage.

I did this in the RV.
From Safari Trek

Picasa Web Albums - John
Old 06-25-2010

trailblazer1229 is on a distinguished road
I think I posted this some other place, but I will repeat. Chances are you will have shore power. Maybe a Wifi internet connection from the marina? They sell portable surveillance cameras than can be wired together and recorded on a DVR or computer stashed on your boat. Live images can even be broadcast over the internet. You can couple this with a simple alarm connection as well. The alarm breaks on your wshboards and it sends you a pic/email/call or whatever to let you know someone is snooping around. There are all kinds of setups and can be sold in kits and hooked up pretty quickly. There are even pressure sensors you can use to ell if someone is walking around on your deck. If owned a boat at a dock, I would invest a couple hunderd bucks in a system. Cameras are even capable of capturing video at night or in bad weather.
Old 06-25-2010

n9wvd is on a distinguished road
New member here and currently in the process of hunting down my first vessel. After reading this thread, I can only ask myself if wanting to spend the last half of my life aboard, out and about; is it worth it? On the other hand, thievery can happen anywhere (home, car, mugged). I'm trying hard to not make this topic a black cloud that looms over me which could deter me from my current plans.