Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Go for it n9!! There's a T-shirt I've seen that says something like "you go sailing, you could get hit by a storm and die; you could capsize and die; you could fall off the boat and get eaten by a shark. ... You stay home and you could fall off the sofa and die" or something like that. Your point is exactly like that - things can happen anywhere. I'd argue that with proper planning and attention, this life isn't vastly riskier than many other choices, and the rewards are incomparable.

Would you rather live your life or live your fears?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2010

swimnfit is on a distinguished road
heres a link to a website that has some pretty creative solutions:

Hidden Safe | Can Safes | Fake Hidden Safes | Secret Money Safe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“A wet sheet and a flowing sea, / A wind that follows fast / And fills the white and rustling sail / And bends the gallant mast.”
Old 06-25-2010

n9wvd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
Go for it n9!! There's a T-shirt I've seen that says something like "you go sailing, you could get hit by a storm and die; you could capsize and die; you could fall off the boat and get eaten by a shark. ... You stay home and you could fall off the sofa and die" or something like that. Your point is exactly like that - things can happen anywhere. I'd argue that with proper planning and attention, this life isn't vastly riskier than many other choices, and the rewards are incomparable.

Precisely. I think of it as no different than an automobile or a house. You can secure it all you want, but if they want something they're going to get it and cause more damage getting to it.

Love that t-shirt saying (need to find it and get it). As excited as I am to off-load most of what I have the remaining time at sea, I think I should at least first start by accompanying someone for a length of time. For all I know, I may not have a sea leg to stand on. haha And the urge to leave the landlocked state of WI (especially come winter) is quite strong.

Before I totally veer off topic (which I have a tendancy to do) I'm going to stop it at that and say thank you Eryka. Reading your comment hightened the growing flame.
Old 06-25-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Bravo Eryka...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post

I'd point out that you can choose where you sail, and by doing so, eliminate much of the risk of theft... some areas are safer than others...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-25-2010

sailor50 is on a distinguished road
Line a hanging locker with shims and cedar "false" planks. You will lose space with this, but at first glance, your foulies are there. Nobody I know of has had theirs stolen.
Old 06-27-2010
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
I'm more afraid of the banks, lawyers, and government in the US than I am of some dirtbag in Madagascar or Guatemala. The dirtbag *might* get you but the others will without fail.
Old 06-27-2010

n9wvd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I'm more afraid of the banks, lawyers, and government in the US than I am of some dirtbag in Madagascar or Guatemala. The dirtbag *might* get you but the others will without fail.
lol - so true
Old 06-27-2010

exterran is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to exterran Send a message via Yahoo to exterran Send a message via Skype™ to exterran
Lightbulb Another idea you probably should do anyway ...

Sorry ... must have hit next twice and missed that, comments removed.

-Dave

Last edited by exterran; 06-27-2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: This precaution was already suggested.
Old 06-27-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You need to read more closely... See post #14...
Quote:
Originally Posted by exterran View Post
Where I live, although I am not yet a cruiser, I work with a lot of customers and their PCs. You all have some great ideas for how to hide the laptop, but I've not seen anyone mention data redundancy yet.

I'd recommend getting a decent USB HDD capable of holding a few backups of the system. Back up regularly and hide both when you're away. Of course it is a problem if the laptop ever gets stolen, but lets face it, you're more likely to have a hard drive or other failure with the laptop itself over time. Just as others have mentioned, it is the data that matters - make a spare copy in case you find yourself in a pinch.

Just my $0.02 on the matter, hope it helps someone out there.

-Dave

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-27-2010

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by n9wvd View Post
Precisely. I think of it as no different than an automobile or a house. You can secure it all you want, but if they want something they're going to get it and cause more damage getting to it.

Love that t-shirt saying (need to find it and get it). As excited as I am to off-load most of what I have the remaining time at sea, I think I should at least first start by accompanying someone for a length of time. For all I know, I may not have a sea leg to stand on. haha And the urge to leave the landlocked state of WI (especially come winter) is quite strong.

Before I totally veer off topic (which I have a tendancy to do) I'm going to stop it at that and say thank you Eryka. Reading your comment hightened the growing flame.
Heck I have a Mazda Miata (hence my online moniker) for over 10 years now and have never locked the doors. I keep nothing of value in sight and have never had an issue, even parked in Manhattan! I often leave the glove box open and the console open so they can see there is nothing of value in them. I figure if they want something they will just cut the top and grab it. The stereo looks basically stock, though it is decidedly not and every thing else looks low value. I had a VW that had a nice stereo, and was always waxed to the 9th degree, and it was broken into 4 times. So a lot of it has to do with appearances. Perhaps you should not put that extra coat of varnish on, don't polish the winches and make the boat look as inconspicuous as possible. (at least that is going to be my excuse!) I was even thinking that you could put stealth displays into old instruments to make them look outdated, but function like new. Perhaps build a laptop display into an old loran unit, or mount a computer screen into an old tv?