Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2010

utchuckd is on a distinguished road
Game plan to cruise.

I think I might be going at this backwards. Due to certain transitions and circumstances, whenever my house sells I'll be looking at possibly having the means to go cruise, but not the ability. Currently I'm landlocked, boatless, and my only experience is a learn to sail course 10 years ago. But after the sale of a family business, and the eventual sale of my house (whenever that may be), I'll basically have the ties to land cut and the funds available to hit the water, but no knowledge to go do it. So how do you get from Starting Point A) no sailing knowledge/experience, to Point B) cruising around coasts/islands, when you've already got the boat funds/cruising kitty stocked?

This is what I've got so far:

1) Buy a boat and live aboard and act like a cruiser, but just do day sails and work up to longer? Kind of a fast track, living off the cruising kitty while getting up to speed on the boat, but sailing every day and hopefully getting the skills built up quicker.

or

2) Move to the coast, get enough of a job to get the bills paid and leave enough free time to buy a boat and learn to sail it? Wouldn't be as hard financially, but would take longer to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Buy a boat, move onboard, find some liveaboard cruiser to show you the ropes and take you sailing a few times. Get the books and read about stuff.

Cruising when you wait for good conditions before sailing is fairly easy sailing.

It is not rocket science.

You don't say where you plan to start this boating life. If the East coast on the Chesapeake or below then the ICW and Bahamas are a good and easy start. BUT if you are on the west coast it is a whole lot harder. Puget sound is nice but going South is tough.

Oh yes don't buy to big a boat. 30 foot is small 37 to 40 comfortable and anything bigger than 45 feet is going to get difficult for a singlehander.
Old 06-25-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You get there by cruising and sailing...

So get a boat... preferably a smaller cruising boat, say 30-35' LOA, and move aboard it.

Start by daysailing and getting to know your boat and its systems. Then work your way up to overnight cruises, week long cruises and then short open water sails, etc...

The better you know your boat and the better you know how to repair and maintain it, the better off you'll be. Learn all the systems on your boat and learn how to keep the boat running. You'll need to learn fiberglass, plumbing, electrical, mechanical and rigging skills.

I'd recommend you take at least the basic ASA 101 course again as a foundation and a refresher. If you can fit them in, take the ASA 103, 104, 105 courses.

Some books that I would highly recommend you get:

Dave Seidman's The Complete Sailor
Richard K. Hubbard's Boater's Bowditch
Larry & Lin Pardey's The Capable Cruiser
Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual
Nigel Calder's Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual
Don Casey's Good Old Boat
Beth Leonard's The Voyager's Handbook

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-26-2010

utchuckd is on a distinguished road
I'm looking at Florida. Was thinking about the Gulf side but not so sure about that at this point. I had narrowed my thinking down to 30'-35'. But still considering a cat, especially if I end up living aboard.
Old 06-28-2010

americancruises is on a distinguished road
Sounds good

I have no advice to offer at all but that sounds awesome. I one day hope to be in the position to buy my own boat and go cruising. I might get my sons to learn how to sail so when I retire I can go exploring.

I live in New Zealand so there's lots to see in a very small space, highly recommended if you've never been here.

This is an excellent forum by the way.

A
in South American would be good too.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.