SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Sailing The Atlantic (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/66082-sailing-atlantic.html)

OceanSailor4 06-30-2010 03:41 PM

Sailing The Atlantic

I plan to live on a cruiser sailboat when im older and to sail the atlantic VERY FREQUENTLY also to the Bahamas and Key Largo what type of sailboat would be stable enough for this?

The sailboat would have 1 to 2 people on it and we're not that experienced.

It would be 23'-27'

I was thinking a used sailboat in good condition ive found them for like 5k I was thinking an O'day or a Beneateu.

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ON SAILBOATS??

Thanks Alot | OceanSailor4 |

killarney_sailor 06-30-2010 04:29 PM

When you say, "Sail the Atlantic" do you mean on the Atlantic or across the Atlantic? These are obviously two entirely different goals. If it is the latter then you should look at boats like the Contessa 26 and Vega 27 which are very rugged and will take you just about anywhere and are not too expensive. If you want to sail on the Atlantic and to the Bahamas (from Florida I assume), a much wider range of boats would be suitable.

Get some experience and try to sail on a variety of boats and you will get a better sense of what you want/need.

OceanSailor4 06-30-2010 04:34 PM

From New York to Florida and Bahamas

Would an O'day 23' with 2 people be suitable for that? without any damages being done.it wont sink or anything right? :() ive never sailed but my uncle sails a ton and is very experience im getting him to teach me how to sail.

bobwebster 06-30-2010 05:14 PM

It all depends on the weather and the sea. How far away from port do you intend to go and how long between weather forecasts? "Sail the Atlantic" can mean up and down the coast 10 miles out, or it can mean Grand Banks to Ireland in December.

The smaller boats will be fine as long as you can make sure you won't be out in anything bad. Specific wave and wind limits depend on the boat and the people sailing it.

I would talk to others who have experience on the boats you're looking for, to get an idea of how comfortable and stable they in weather, and to get an idea of their upper limits.

OceanSailor4 06-30-2010 05:26 PM

I was thinking up and down the coast about 10 miles out yes, and up and down the coast but im going to live on the sailboat 23' oday with my brother u think an 23' O'day can take a good storm and some good hits when anchored? what lb anchor should we use or would you think, or reccomend?

Freesail99 06-30-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanSailor4 (Post 618470)
I was thinking up and down the coast about 10 miles out yes, and up and down the coast but im going to live on the sailboat 23' oday with my brother u think an 23' O'day can take a good storm and some good hits when anchored? what lb anchor should we use or would you think, or reccomend?

In a single word, No it wouldn't. It will not take a good storm and 23 feet to be on it for any length of time with two people is just to small. There are far better boats.

OceanSailor4 06-30-2010 09:39 PM

Please Respond Quickly!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freesail99 (Post 618503)
In a single word, No it wouldn't. It will not take a good storm and 23 feet to be on it for any length of time with two people is just to small. There are far better boats.

So, im looking for a 23 ft boat that can take good storm damage and that is a live aboard and ill be able to get from new york to florida no problem.Name some sailboats that can do just that and that wont be a hassle no storm problem?

Thx

svHyLyte 07-01-2010 07:28 AM

See Vertue.

See also The Sailor's Book of Small Cruising ... - Google Books

sailingdog 07-01-2010 02:25 PM

I'd point out that Vertue, the Flicka, the Dana 24, and other boats are far better suited to sailing on the Atlantic, but all would probably be a bit small for TWO people living aboard full-time.

The book SvHyLyte recommends has some deficiencies, but is a good starting place. Another good place to look is James Baldwin's Boat List.

QuickMick 07-02-2010 11:15 AM

frankly i think it would be hard for one to live reasonably comfy on a 23' boat, but i guess that depends on how you define it....