Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Hey Cameron...nice to see you here. Ah me..the trials of the timber boat owner....can't say you were not warned...... Other than that , trust all goes well with you.
Thanks for the sympathy, TD, it's appreciated. I've been really busy fixing 30 years of neglect, starting with Sugar Soap and working from there. My folks came to stay with us last week and spent a few days helping out - starting up the front and working backwards just generally cleaning up what's there.

Yep, you did warn me - but I do think the end result will be worth it. I had her out yesterday in the Classics in 10+kts flattish water and she just charged along quietly with none of the banging, thumping, splashing we get with the Hartley in the same stuff.

Looking forward to seeing you again sometime soon. Hopefully before Christmas..

Quote:
Added in.....

Cameron, I'd think the Hans Christian would be out of Chall's price range. I'm not a fan I must say (to my mind they take the mock trad thing a wat to far) and would rather a Baba 40 or 33. They are however in short supply down under.
Agreed.. I'm not a fan either, but my Dad seemed to be so we went to look at one recently returned from Tahiti and up for sale. Knowing there are a few around, I thought I'd chuck it in the mix on the off-chance it might be Chall's thing (not sure it is, though). Apparently they sail well enough and are well thought out down below, but everything else is a matter of personal taste.

When looking to buy, it sometimes it helps to have something at the far end of the scale you can look at to crystallise exactly what you're looking for...
Old 07-12-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Thanks for the sympathy, TD, it's appreciated. I've been really busy fixing 30 years of neglect, starting with Sugar Soap and working from there. My folks came to stay with us last week and spent a few days helping out - starting up the front and working backwards just generally cleaning up what's there.

Yep, you did warn me - but I do think the end result will be worth it. I had her out yesterday in the Classics in 10+kts flattish water and she just charged along quietly with none of the banging, thumping, splashing we get with the Hartley in the same stuff.

Looking forward to seeing you again sometime soon. Hopefully before Christmas..

Agreed.. I'm not a fan either, but my Dad seemed to be so we went to look at one recently returned from Tahiti and up for sale. Knowing there are a few around, I thought I'd chuck it in the mix on the off-chance it might be Chall's thing (not sure it is, though). Apparently they sail well enough and are well thought out down below, but everything else is a matter of personal taste.

When looking to buy, it sometimes it helps to have something at the far end of the scale you can look at to crystallise exactly what you're looking for...

I suspect you are thinking my sympathy was not genuine. That I am in fact laughing at you behind your back. You'd be right too.

Still and all, a mere thirty years of neglect...should only take oh lets see now....thirty years to rectify ?

Hey Wombat be careful....there's a certain Mrs Hartley out there who could probably give you a good kicking.

A timber is its own reward mate....one of the Herreshoffs once said when seeing one of his designs in fibreglass for the first time "it looks like frozen snot". A timber will never do that to you. (and they don't rust either.)

As for the absence of banging and crashing.....a coupla of tones of lead will do that for you.......

Salute..and hi to D.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I suspect you are thinking my sympathy was not genuine. That I am in fact laughing at you behind your back. You'd be right too.

Still and all, a mere thirty years of neglect...should only take oh lets see now....thirty years to rectify ?

Hey Wombat be careful....there's a certain Mrs Hartley out there who could probably give you a good kicking.
Nahh, you're just being your normal Fuzzy self... but if you ever come down here on "holidays", expect to be given a paint brush and put to work!!

Quote:
As for the absence of banging and crashing.....a coupla of tones of lead will do that for you.......
Makes for slow tacks too! One of my crew sails on the Enterpize from time to time and was heard to remark that there wasn't much difference in tacking speed... (I would have tossed him overboard, but I needed him to handle the sheets & braces..)

Reminds me: I must start a thread on A-S about that.

Quote:
Salute..and hi to D.
Thanks TD, I will... and i'm off now. This is Chall's thread and I've no wish to Shanghai it further. If he needs me, I'm sure he'll find me.

Our love to Mrs W.

Cheers,
Old 07-12-2010

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Hey Shanghai away guys!

The Hans Christian does look to sit outside our budget I think.

Like I have said we did very much like the Arends, not alot of examples on the market however. We are going to keep looking around and so any other suggestions are more than welcomed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-12-2010

Kenif is on a distinguished road
Chall,

Good luck with your search. As an Aussie designed boat the Arends has an extremely good reputation for handling our conditions.

I sail regularly on a Phantom 34 and it also appears to have a good reputation for cruising. The one i sail on has done a similar trip to what you intend and I know there area a couple available in Sydney.

Whatever you do do not look at prices of boats in the US or Europe! It is real depressing to us buyers downunder.

I have just pruchased a property in Inner Melbourne and in 7 years should realise approx $275K profit - so that's the boat and the kitty :-)

Cheers
Kenif
Old 07-13-2010

That sounds like a good plan Kenif.....

Sigh, I have made the mistake of looking at US boat listings before. With the free trade arrangement, and our dollar nearly reaching parity with the US$ at one stage there it wasn't such a silly idea. Sure that pesky Pacific Ocean presents one hell of a shakedown cruise. There is actually a guy who posts on here that bought a US boat and sailed it across.

In reality however I think it is beyond my experience at the moment, we'll start with the East Coast and go from there....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-13-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Chall,

Me and the Wombet have the idea of buying in the US, preferably west coast and preferably PNW. The PNW very high on my wish list of places to cruise. If we were to buy PNW area then the plan is to leave the boat there for a couple of years before sailing her home. It bears thinking about provided all your cruising dreams are not wrapped up in sunshine and warm water.

The other alternative of course is to buy in the US and ship back to Oz. I once did the sums and it is doable and economical provided the US is near AUD.90, the boat is over USD$100.000 and its a west coast boat.

I did admit to the Wombet that if we were to buy and ship it would probably break my heart.

The other alternative of course is Europe where prices are not as keen as in the US but with the Euro at AUD.70 the buying in real terms is quite good though the getting home becomes another matter altogether.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 07-13-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-14-2010

ScottUK is on a distinguished road
TDW

What were the figures you came up with for shipping? What size of boat? I'm wondering why the boat would have to be 100,000USD.

Cheers
Old 07-14-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
That sounds like a good plan Kenif.....

Sigh, I have made the mistake of looking at US boat listings before. With the free trade arrangement, and our dollar nearly reaching parity with the US$ at one stage there it wasn't such a silly idea. Sure that pesky Pacific Ocean presents one hell of a shakedown cruise. There is actually a guy who posts on here that bought a US boat and sailed it across.

In reality however I think it is beyond my experience at the moment, we'll start with the East Coast and go from there....
Chall,

Sorry, I was away and so missed this thread back when you kicked it off. Congrats on the decision to head out cruising!

Also sorry you missed on that Arends 33. I don't know if it was the one you were considering, but I glanced at an ad for one in Aus and it looked like a nice solid candidate for your itinerary.

As far as boats go, I'll just echo the comments of tdw about looking at the North American market. There really are a tremendous number of good candidates over here, at prices that seem discounted compared to Aus.

Since you have some doubts about full-keelers, you might look at the offerings from Pacific Seacraft (PSC). These U.S.-built cruising boats have cruising fin keels with skeg-hung rudders, and the propeller in a protected aperture. We sail a 31, but the next model up in size, 34', might be worth comparing to some of your boats down under. If nothing else, it's a good data point.

You can do a Yachtworld search and see a bunch of PSC 34s. They have been in production since the mid-80s, so prices run the gamut and they are sprinkled all over the U.S. east and west coasts. Boats from the late-80s-early-90s should be in your price range. Here are a few examples:

1990 PSC 34, Great Lakes

1990 PSC 34, California

1989 PSC 34, Georgia (U.S. East Coast)

Anyway, all the best of luck and keep us posted!

P.S. Howdy, Hartley! How about some photos of that project?

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 07-14-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-14-2010

Thanks JRP.

The Arends we were looking at was indeed very tidy, had been there and done that and you knew from first glance that she had been well loved by previous owners.

Prices over there seem certainly much more reasonable than here....not to mention that there is a also a larger range of suiatable designs and boats to take your pick from.

It also seems that for the era boat we would be looking at the finish and fitout was much more professional in US built boats at the time. The local industry here in the 70's and early 80's was still very much selling hull + deck packages with owners doing there own interior fitout....exceptions like the Arends really stand out.

I will have a good look at PSC 34s.......

Does anyone have an opinion on the Columbia 34??
There were a bunch built in Australia under license in the late 70s, so they tend to be 10 years younger here than their US counterparts but otherwise the Aussie boats appear to be fairly faithful to the original design.

I wonder if there are differences in build between the Aussie and US Columbias??

Last edited by chall03; 07-14-2010 at 06:40 PM.