SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   from dreaming the dream to chasing the dream (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/66404-dreaming-dream-chasing-dream.html)

quient3 07-12-2010 04:03 PM

from dreaming the dream to chasing the dream

I have been lurking around this forum for a little while, sort of leery of posting or starting a thread for various reasons, but the time has come and here I go:

In the summer of 2002, my husband, me & our then 8yr old son, helped a guy sail a 35ft sailboat from Georgetown Exumas to Nassau Bahamas. It was one of the best 2 weeks of our lives!! Ever since then we have dreamed about the sailing life. Our son is going to start college this fall, and we want to start chasing that dream instead of just dreaming that dream. We've heard of and followed a lot of stories about people with not much experience doing this and actually pulling it off. We used to own a 16ft. hobie cat, so we know the very basics of sailing. Plus the 2 weeks in the Bahamas.
I am an RN and would like to get a job in the Miami area. Then we want to buy a boat, live aboard, and sail the coast of Florida and over to the Bahamas. I figure I can work part of the year and sail part of the year. What are the costs of living aboard in a slip in this area? What about mooring? Can you do that for free? Is there anyone out there that is in my line of work that lives aboard and works part time that has any advice for us?

Thanks!!!

sailingdog 07-12-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quient3 (Post 621796)
I have been lurking around this forum for a little while, sort of leery of posting or starting a thread for various reasons, but the time has come and here I go:

In the summer of 2002, my husband, me & our then 8yr old son, helped a guy sail a 35ft sailboat from Georgetown Exumas to Nassau Bahamas. It was one of the best 2 weeks of our lives!! Ever since then we have dreamed about the sailing life. Our son is going to start college this fall, and we want to start chasing that dream instead of just dreaming that dream. We've heard of and followed a lot of stories about people with not much experience doing this and actually pulling it off. We used to own a 16ft. hobie cat, so we know the very basics of sailing. Plus the 2 weeks in the Bahamas.
I am an RN and would like to get a job in the Miami area. Then we want to buy a boat, live aboard, and sail the coast of Florida and over to the Bahamas. I figure I can work part of the year and sail part of the year. What are the costs of living aboard in a slip in this area? What about mooring? Can you do that for free? Is there anyone out there that is in my line of work that lives aboard and works part time that has any advice for us?

Thanks!!!

Miami might not be the best choice. The costs of living are pretty high there, the marina costs are higher, insurance is a problem because you're inside the HURRICANE BOX...

One of my friend's lives aboard a boat and she is an RN. She works six-to-seven months a year and cruises the rest of the time. She's based out of the Carolinas though. This makes much more sense, since the costs of living, marina costs, boat insurance costs and hurricane risks are all much lower that far north. The trip from the Carolinas to the Bahamas and back isn't that bad, provided you plan your weather windows right.

Finding a job that will accommodate that kind of schedule is the real tough part. She managed to find a company, due to her specialized position and skill set, that allows her to do that.

inshallamiami 07-12-2010 07:08 PM

Hi! I am an RN currently working in Miami. My husband and I got into sailing about 12 years ago in New Jersey, eventually brought the boat down the ICW (what a great trip), were liveaboards working in Miami until we spent a year cruising the Northwest Caribbean for about a year.

We are working on our cruising kitty now and hope to set off after the current hurricane season. So far we have worked for a long whileon the kitty then took off for a year or so--never did the 9months on,3months off thing (though I think it could work, but 3 months is such a short short time!)

Please feel free to PM me, I would love to share!

Sue
s/v Destiny

quient3 07-12-2010 09:18 PM

Sue: apparently 'newbies' are prohibited from PMing anyone until a certain amt of posting is under their belt...so...

Thank you so much for the reply. I have soooo many ?'s, I could spend hours and hours searchilng the forum for answers, but if you're willing to share, I'm willing to ask! :-)

Do you live aboard in a slip in Miami? How costly is that these days? Is it possible to anchor in a mooring near the area? Is boat insurance a legal requirement?

When you are gone sailing and not working, what do you do for health insurance/meds/etc.?

What are the hospitals/working conditins like as a nurse in miami?

Thank you so much!!!
Janet

sailingdog 07-13-2010 12:50 AM

Janet—

That's an anti-spamming measure that is pretty common on most internet forums.

quient3 07-13-2010 01:19 AM

sailingdog-
oh. new to posting on internet forums. good to know. thanks.