Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Reality Check- Who has had their boat burglarized?

Another thread here got me thinking, so I figured i'd put it to the masses: When it comes to vessel security, how worried should we all be? Who here has had their boat broken into and lost valuables?
To make this at least somewhat sorta scientific, and kinda objective, when telling your tale of larceny, please describe how many years you have been at sea and where the event(s) occurred.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2010

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Had my trailer-sailor broken into when it was in a marina parking lot. Didn't have anything in it that was really worth stealing, though. The most troublesome part was the need to replace the companionway latch, which they broke in order to get in.
Old 07-16-2010

Insails is on a distinguished road
no break ins...but some kids decided to have a party at the marina and my boats cockpit got used as the beer can receptical...Wolud not have cared much except for the fact some trash clogged the cockpit drain and it rained, almost flooded the cabin...
Old 07-16-2010
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
I was broken into many years ago- used my tools to steal the outboard.. The worst places seem to be boat yards where boats on the hard are targeted. A friend lost all of his electronics in Trinidad one season. We have a motion detector aand magnetic sensor on the companionway hatch attached to a siren but rarely set it.
Old 07-16-2010
O'day 26

joeybkcmo is on a distinguished road
Add me to the list, boat broken into while in the slip at the marina. They hit boats on all 4 docks, each dock has its own locked gate, with different access codes. Marina could not understand how someone could have learned all 4 combinations (6 if you count the dry storage lots). I lost fish finder (used for depth) winch handles, tools, small easy to carry items. Some lost outboards (guess mine was to old for them). Before anyone says they could have came in off the water, this was mid Feb in Mo, cove was frozen, except around the docks. Thing that angered me the most was the Marina's attitude, saying that the slip holders must have given out the combinations. Keep in mind, each dock has its own combination, as well as each storage lot, you only get the number to the lot/slip you use. Oh yeah, they also had to have the combination for the main gate, so make that 7 in all. That was 4 years ago, and it still grinds my teeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-16-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybkcmo View Post
Oh yeah, they also had to have the combination for the main gate, so make that 7 in all.
Or, one dinghy. Or a willingness to swim.

Speaking of dinghies, a few weeks ago my inflatable kayak was bike-locked to a tree on Kitsilano Beach, in Vancouver, for one day before disappearing. Not a break-in per se, but a reminder to choose carefully where to leave your stuff.
Old 07-16-2010
Relapsing

ArcherBowman is on a distinguished road
You're right to grind your teeth. There is no WAY that was not an inside job. Somebody at the marina, or somebody's brother or cousin, needed a few extra bottles of Mad Dog 20/20 for a party. The marina just didn't want to deal with it.

Which marina? Name names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybkcmo View Post
Add me to the list, boat broken into while in the slip at the marina. They hit boats on all 4 docks, each dock has its own locked gate, with different access codes. Marina could not understand how someone could have learned all 4 combinations (6 if you count the dry storage lots). I lost fish finder (used for depth) winch handles, tools, small easy to carry items. Some lost outboards (guess mine was to old for them). Before anyone says they could have came in off the water, this was mid Feb in Mo, cove was frozen, except around the docks. Thing that angered me the most was the Marina's attitude, saying that the slip holders must have given out the combinations. Keep in mind, each dock has its own combination, as well as each storage lot, you only get the number to the lot/slip you use. Oh yeah, they also had to have the combination for the main gate, so make that 7 in all. That was 4 years ago, and it still grinds my teeth

"It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of sailing is? Love. You take a boat in to sea that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her afloat when she oughtta founder... tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens… makes her a home." Captain Malcom Reynolds, Paraphrased
Old 07-26-2010

TeamDestructo85 is on a distinguished road
Our old boat was broken into while at dock on a residential street. My dad has known some of our neighbors over 25 years. apparently, a couple and a kid or two sat in the cockpit as if they were waiting for us and avoided any suspicion. luckily they weren't very knowledgeable seeing they stole tools and the car stereo installed in the cabin and left all the expensive electronics alone.

years at sea for me: 12-15. my dad: like a hundred. and it happened in fort lauderdale area
Old 07-27-2010
Relapsing

ArcherBowman is on a distinguished road
Man - doesn't that just make you want to punch someone in the mouth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamDestructo85 View Post
Our old boat was broken into while at dock on a residential street. My dad has known some of our neighbors over 25 years. apparently, a couple and a kid or two sat in the cockpit as if they were waiting for us and avoided any suspicion. luckily they weren't very knowledgeable seeing they stole tools and the car stereo installed in the cabin and left all the expensive electronics alone.

years at sea for me: 12-15. my dad: like a hundred. and it happened in fort lauderdale area

"It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of sailing is? Love. You take a boat in to sea that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her afloat when she oughtta founder... tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens… makes her a home." Captain Malcom Reynolds, Paraphrased