Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2003

bdkorth is on a distinguished road
Please tell me it is worth it???

Mhancock,

Where in Idaho do you live? Do you sail here? We are in Nampa, and will be putting our 25'' Catalina in its slip in McCall next weekend, most likely.

Your ahead of us on the time scale. We are a number of years, probably between 5-7 years, from cruising. Depends on what life hands us between now and then.

Nice to hear from someone else that is equally as landlocked as we are. Lots of people definitely think that the idea of getting on a sailboat and cruising around the world sounds absolutely insane. I believe that the life of doing the same things in the same places all of my life would be even more insane. They always ask about us being in a storm at sea and dying. The way I look at it, I will not be afraid of dying, but afraid of a life not lived.

Good luck on your house sale and the move to the gulf. What classes are you going to take, and where?

Again, good luck,
Brad
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2003

mhancock is on a distinguished road

I live in Boise, and have never sailed in Idaho. I probably will not do any sailing until I get to Texas due to the huge number of things that I have to do to get the house ready to sell.

I will take some classes from an ASA school in the Clear Lake (Galveston Bay) area. I also plan to crew in as many races as I have time for just to get more experience.

Mike
Old 05-02-2003

Mike,

If you would like to do some sailing before leaving, let me know. We live in Nampa, and are going to be trying to put our 25'' Catalina in Payette Lake next weekend. We just recently completed our bareboat certification in San Diego, and are looking very forward to getting back on the water.

Good luck on your plans.

Brad
Old 05-09-2003

namaste04 is on a distinguished road

Yay, mhancock!!!!!

I like your attitude!
If you''re boat shopping in TX check out the Mariner 39 sor sale there. We LOVE ours, as does ABullard, also a poster here. This particular TX boat was on the marker last winter (2001-2002) when we were boat shopping, then off the market, now back on. I never saw it, so know nothing about it, but M39s are very nice for liveaboard bluewater cruising....

Best wishes,
Stacey
http://www.sailnamaste.com
Old 05-14-2003

nilgala is on a distinguished road

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.
T. E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"

We are in a similar position - impatient now to make it happen. This quote has inspired us never to doubt that we CAN make it happen.

Good luck

Peter and Dorothy
Old 05-14-2003

mhancock is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestion. I searched Yachtworld and Boattraderonline and did not come up with a Mariner 39 in Texas for sale. Is it listed on the Internet somewhere?

We are in a real quandry about what to buy, and are trying to remember that every dollar on boat and gear is less in the cruising kitty. I have read Sensible Cruising, the Walder Approach two times. The first time was great. I had to read it a second time because I was falling under the spell of the marketing people who want to make you think that if you do not buy their latest gadget that you are risking the life of your family.

I think that Sensible Cruising may be the most important book that anybody dreaming of the cruising life can read.

Mike
Old 05-15-2003

namaste04 is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike...
I just learned that the Mariner 39 in TX is under contract: sorry. It''s a great boat. Keep cruising Yachtworld, soundings, American Boat Listing, etc. You''ll find "the one!" The search is half the fun....enjoy it!
Stacey
Old 05-15-2003

Mhancock,

I just ordered Sensible Cruising today online. Thanks for the tip. We can use any input we can receive.

Brad
Old 11-02-2003

sailnaway is on a distinguished road

My wife and I are selling our home in Colorado as well as 30 acres of pine tree soverd hills with a trout stream. She is a school teacher and me well I am a medical missfit but love to sail. We started out last year to buy a boat and head to Costa Rica and that part of the world and WHAM! I had a disected aorta and spent three month in the hospital and the next year and still recovering from major surgery. The desire to sail again is so strong that it has helped me to recover. We move to New Orleans because we did not want to get caught up in the high price of living in Florida and we are close enough that if a boat was in Texas or Florida on the gulf coast we could easly get to it in a day and move it where we wanted. We found a boat here and are refiting it right now. The weight of all the furniture and property upkeep is fading fast.I think your heart will tell you which way to go. If you like a remote beach and can do without cheesburgers and milk then you may love this way of life. I went back to the land and I have felt empty for a long time now it is time to go home.
Old 11-06-2003

captainruss is on a distinguished road

WELL ITS NOV AND I HOPE YOU ARE STILL GOING CRUISING. I LIVE IN IDAHO TOO AND THINK ABOUT CRIUSING, THERE ARE LOTS OF US HERE IN IDAHO THAT WANT TO CRIUSE. I HAVE BOUGHT MY BOAT FOR CRIUSING JUST ALOT OF FIXING UP TO DO. I KEEP IT HERE IN LEWISTON SO I CAN GO RIGHT DOWN RIVER TO THE COAST WHEN I AM READY. THERE ARE LIKE MINDED PEOPLE HERE TOO. WHERE ARE YOU AT IN IDAHO? MAYBE WE COULD SWAP STORIES. SEE YA ON THE WATER SOMEDAY RUSS.