Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2010

cla6665 is on a distinguished road
working while cruising with dual citizenship

I don't know if this has been touched already but I have a question for all the cruisers out there.
What are the islands that are in the EU ? Caribbeans, Pacific, etc....
I am trying to find info online but it's getting quite confusing. I am a dual citizen ( EU and US) and I am trying to find out where can I legally work to support my family while cruising.
Thanks to all
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2010

sailor50 is on a distinguished road
I think you can go the the Embassy and ask them, see it in writing, get the proof, and then go sailing.
Old 08-25-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Working in most countries without a work permit can lead to your boat being confiscated or impounded and jail time for you. Working in US territories is probably not much of a problem, as you're a US citizen, but the rest of the Caribbean will be problematic.

I'd point out that YOU CAN'T BE AN EU CITIZEN...you can be a citizen of an EU member country, but that would probably not mean much except in territories of the country you are a citizen of.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-25-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
I'd think any of the French protectorates would be EU members. Most of the Caribbean are independent (or consider themselves so).

I had no problems finding work in the US and British Virgin Islands, St. Martin, St. Lucia, and Martinique. You've got to be careful about bragging about it and it helps if the company that hires you does the paperwork, but it's entirely possible to put your skills to work.

Old 08-25-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Saint Martin, Guadeloupe and Martinique are full EU, thus you can work there. Sint Maarten is not EU and, from what I've heard, even Dutch nationals need permission to work on that side of the island.
Reunion, French-Guyana, Canaries, Ceuta, Melilla, Azores, Madeira and Gibraltar have full working rights for EU.
Apart from that the rest of the overseas territories are not directly part of the EU and thus can impose their own work regulations. That includes all of the Netherlands Antilles(Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Saba, St. Eustatius in addition to Sint Maarten), the islands belonging to the British Commonwealth (BVI, Anguilla, Montserrat, Cayman, Turks & Caicos), the French dependencies (French Polynesia, New Caledonia, Wallis & Fortuna, etc.) all make their own work rules, and to be fair their citizens also do not have any reciprocal guaranteed work rights in the EU, either.

The problem is that the type of work that pays the boat-bills will most certainly be well-staffed by locals and the types of specialized work that pays well will not be found in those locations.

Saint Marten is a French Departement, you can work there. Sint Maarten is Dutch but not part of the EU thus you cannot work there as a citizen of the EU without a visa (I believe that even as a Dutch national you need to get permission of some sort). You can work in Guadeloupe and Martinique. I think that the Dutch Antilles countries are also not EU and thus a visa is necessary.

Addition
The definitive list of countries that are full signatories and thus where you have a right to work without a visa is on the pages of EUROPA – The official website of the European Union but the clickable map is at EUROPA - European Countries

Last edited by Zanshin; 08-25-2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added information
Old 08-25-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
I've always wondered about people with dual citizenship. How do they decide which country their allegiance belong to?
Old 08-26-2010

trisstan87 is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know if work permits are required in the Pacific countries? Does that mean it would be very unlikely to be an "above the table" worker if one were to be a sort of sailing hobo, traveling from place to place?
Old 08-26-2010

cla6665 is on a distinguished road
allegiance.... that is a hard one to figure out my friend. I think my heart is always going to be in my birth country ( Italy) but if I have to be honest that after being in the US for many years I " almost " feel I am part of the group. I have much respect for the hard working people in the US and how proud Americans are. I don't think I could have done what I did in the US back in Italy, this country is truly the land of opportunities. If you want to work you will find work, you will be able to make a honest living.
Old 08-27-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cla6665 View Post
allegiance.... that is a hard one to figure out my friend. I think my heart is always going to be in my birth country ( Italy) but if I have to be honest that after being in the US for many years I " almost " feel I am part of the group. I have much respect for the hard working people in the US and how proud Americans are. I don't think I could have done what I did in the US back in Italy, this country is truly the land of opportunities. If you want to work you will find work, you will be able to make a honest living.
My question wasn't asked as a test, but to try and answer a question I've never dealt with. Thank you for your answer.
Old 08-27-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisstan87 View Post
Does anyone know if work permits are required in the Pacific countries? Does that mean it would be very unlikely to be an "above the table" worker if one were to be a sort of sailing hobo, traveling from place to place?
Yes, all the Pacific overseas protectorates require work permits.