Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2010

wap1602 is on a distinguished road
Sandy Hook to Atlantic City in one long day?

The more I read about Manesquan and Barnegut inlets, the more I want to avoid them as we take our Ericson 38 south next month.
Anyone sailed/motored from Sandy Hook to Atlantic City in a day and reached it with daylight?
What kind of wind and how early do you have to leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
We have not taken this passage in one day because we always find t comfortable for us to enter Manasquan Inlet and then cruise from Masasquan to Abeson Ilet. With out draft we usually take the Point Pleasant Canal to the Metedoconk River before heading on the Atlantic City. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 08-23-2010

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
The distance from Sandy Hook to Absecon Inlet (Atlantic City) is about 75-80 nautical miles. Certainly do-able in one long day, depending on wind and sea conditions. You'd have to leave very early, though, to get in before dark, since you'd likely be looking at a 10-hour trip or so, given favorable conditions.

HOWEVER, you can't depend on favorable conditions. I've been into both Barnegat Bay and Atlantic City with my boat (6.5' draft) due to unfavorable conditions (wind and seas building from the wrong direction, or storm threatening). Therefore, IMHO, you should:

1. lay the course out on your chart and see for yourself the distances to where you'd have to go; and

2. be prepared, if necessary, to duck into Manasquan, Barnegat, or Absecon Inlets.

Bill
Old 08-23-2010
Old Gaffer

FishSticks is on a distinguished road
That is an easy run at 6 kt. If you leave from a mooring in Atlantic Highlands you can get underway with no difficulty before dawn, if necessary, and make Atlantic City before dark. There you can anchor off the Coast Guard.

Running down the Jersey shore through the night is not a bad option either, if you have the right breeze. I like to lay over in City Island (better liberty port) and sail through the night straight to Cape May. It's about a 24 hr run, give or take.
Old 08-23-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
If your goal is to arrive in Atlantic City in daylight from Sandy Hook,
I would plan on leaving sandy hook in the wee hours of the morning.
3 am or so.

The prevailing winds are southwest so it could be a beat or a motorsail into the wind. But it's anyones guess what the weather will be a month from now.

Make sure you fuel up somewhere before you leave. Where will you spend the night before sandy hook? Top up your fuel there!

If you don't mind night sailing...and the weather is right..I might consider doing Sandy Hook to Cape may...Then you could plan on noon to noon...sailing...

Check back next month when you are in the neighborhood...
Old 08-23-2010

gershel is on a distinguished road
By next month the days will be shorter, and it's very unlikely that you could get in before dark, unless you leave the night before and sail/motor through the night.
I did that leg last week from Great Kills. Left 6am and
motor-sailed the whole way with light wind on the nose that increased to 18kt in the afternoon. Arrived AC 11pm. Not a difficult inlet, but I'm very familiar with it.
Marc
Old 08-24-2010

wap1602 is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone.

As always, the weather will rule over whatever plans we make.
Old 08-24-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Why Atlantic City? Leave Sandy Hook late in the morning and get into Cape May the next morning. Most of the times I did the trip (from Toronto) I'd leave Upper Nyack (in the Hudson) early in the morning and get to Sandy Hook early afternoon, if the weather was favourable I'd shoot for Cape May. If not, anchor behind Sandy Hook or in Atlantic Highlands and wait for weather.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-24-2010
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
Atlantic City is a good anchorage and a way to break up the trip to avoid overnighting. As mentioned, leave Sandy Hook (or Atlantic Highlands) at first light, and plan on motorsailing if the winds are light. You will want a forecast of northerly winds, so wait until just after a front goes through.
Old 08-24-2010

sterilecuckoo58 is on a distinguished road
Based on my first cruise experience from Jones Inlet to New Bedford, 80nm is a long way for one day (our 2 has a comfortable motoring speed of 4 kn). We planned one overnight sail and had two overnight motorings, the first by necessity and plan, the second to take advantage of reduced headwinds and head seas. We ducked into Shinnecock Inlet twice, once for a comfortable night and once due to conked out motor (no spark, self repaired at anchorage). The night cruising was awe inspiring, with enhanced star gazing and shooting stars overhead and inability to see (moon sliver set early). I'd like to do it again under sail, with the moon lighting up the seascape... so I suggests starting the night before if conditions are favorable, and you have enough crew.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.