Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2010

TheHopefulSailor is on a distinguished road
Question Canada West Coast liveaboard slips?

Hello,

I'm wondering if you have any information on the availibility and costs of LA slips on the West Coast of Canada, such as Vancouver, Victoria, etc?

I have plans to purchase a liveaboard, and sometimes see assumable moorage as a selling point, but these seem to be at the more remote marinas...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I live aboard in Victoria harbour. There are at a quick count 7 marinas in the harbour that allow liveaboards, possibly more. There are not a lot of empty slips though. In Sidney there are liveaboards allowed at several marinas as well. Vancouver has a shorter supply of moorage in general as far as I know and not sure of liveaboards there. Your best bet would be to check with the marinas.
I wouldn't buy a boat with assumable moorage unless it was the same boat I would buy without. I have never had a problem finding moorage when I needed it.
Old 09-12-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Vancouver is quite tight for moorage generally, and liveaboard in particular. There are only a few marinas in Vancouver that actually have designated liveaboard slips (Heather Civic, Pier 32 and Spruce Harbour - all have waitlists) There are a few 'grandfathered' liveaboards at other marinas but new ones are no longer permitted, as a rule.

Further out of town you may find some possibilities, notably Shelter Island about 8 nm up the Fraser River where I believe there are some liveaboard situations. Also there are a couple of floathome communities where living aboard a boat may be possible too.

I'm sure there are a fair number of "sneaky" liveaboards (ie unsanctioned) and technically you could anchor a boat anywhere but in way of navigation - except in False creek which runs a limited-stay permit system. There are easily a half dozen such situations in English Bay.

It will take some homework and perseverance to arrange legal liveaboard on or near the lower mainland.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 09-12-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-12-2010
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road
I lived aboard in Snug Cove on Bowen Island a couple of years ago, and I believe there are still a few dozen designated slips there. The False Creek Yacht Club also has some live-aboard slips, but the waiting list after you become a member is five or more years long. We finally got to the top of the list for a slip there a few weeks before we sailed south last year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-15-2010

LittleDevil is on a distinguished road
Hello from Manitoba! I have a few questions if you don't mind:

I was wondering if you could tell me how feasible it is to live in Victoria harbor from a sail boat and commute occasionally to Vancouver (assuming I cant find a liveaboard slip in Van)? Obviously I would need a place to put a car also so is that a problem? I'm self employed and only work casually so I wouldn't need to go in every day - maybe one day a week or every two weeks.

Also, being from Manitoba, what is it like (how bearable) in the winter months living aboard a boat in Victoria or Vancouver? I'd preferably like to sail south or to warmer climates in the winter, but I may need to spend some time there in the winter months. Also can you give me an idea of cost for a 35-42' boat?
Old 09-15-2010

Yes it is possible to commute to Vancouver from Victoria, especially if it is only once a week or two. BC Ferries travels from Sidney to Tsawwassen every 2 hours in the winter and every hour in the summer or you could fly harbour to harbour on a float plane if you wish.

Victoria is the paradise of Canada as far as weather is concerned. Last year no snow but we usually get a few inches once or twice a winter that lasts for a few days or a week. Half the rain or less than they get in Vancouver.

The marina I am at charges 15.73/ft per month and that includes cable, power, and water of course. Secure underground parking is 50/month. And the bonus here is that it is a hotel/marina so there is a pool, sauna, jacuzzi, and gym included. The view is nice too.
Attached Thumbnails
Canada West Coast liveaboard slips?-2.jpg   Canada West Coast liveaboard slips?-1.jpg  
Old 09-15-2010

Wow. That's pretty reasonable for the boat AND the parking!! I'm excited now!! Can you tell me how long the ferry ride is (I'm assuming you drive your car on/off of it?) and how much the ferry and float plane ride is return? Thanks!
Old 09-15-2010

Oh and is there any ability for internet at the marina? Some marinas offer wireless internet, although I do fine tethered with my iPhone and I'm sure the hotel has it. Can you tell me the name of the place so I can get more info? I LOVE the fact it has a gym and a pool! Sweet!
Old 09-15-2010

Coast Harbourside Hotel and Marina. The moorage price is about average.
The ferry ride is about 1 hr 35 minutes from Sidney to Tsawwassen. Drive to Sidney about 30 to 45 minutes and from Tsawwassen to Vancouver downtown is about the same. Flying harbour to harbour there is a discount program depending on number of flights. Here's the link to their fares page.
Harbour Air : QuickTickets
Old 09-15-2010

TheHopefulSailor is on a distinguished road
To everyone,

Thank you for all your input.

About Vic Harbour, In 2008, during visits to Vic and Van, I did a very touristy Vic harbour tour. It seems like Coast H.H.&M. might have been on that general sweep around that the tour made. It looks familiar...and very nice, of course.

Re $50 underground parking: Is free aboveground parking also available for those on a budget/driving old jalopeys?

I found Victoria very charming and of course, weather-wise, Vic wins.
Cost-wise, Vic appears to win...
But I wonder...

I checked out False Creek in Van - 10K down, roughly 1,600~2000/a in dock, lounge, etc fees. Are there are some negatives to that type of arrangement I'm not aware of?

Working on a 40footer assumption,
15.73 x 40 =629/m or 7550/a in Vic = 75500 total for 10 years moorage.
but
10000 down = 1000/a (spread over 10 years) + 2000/a = 3000/a in Van or 30,000 total for 10 years moorage.

It appears that, even though upfront costs are higher, over the long run such an arrangement might be advantageous. Even if one had to pay for 5 years while on a waitlist before getting a slip...

It is a very tough decision - Vic versus Van - but finances are the primary factor, since my work is portable, I like both very much, and we will be starting afresh back in Canada.

Please correct me if any of my assumptions or math are wrong :->

Cheers