SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

state of satellite communications?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Could anyone help me c. satellite communications. I am a stock trader and sailor and want to know if streaming data is possible on board, say mid ocean? Is the technology such that one could trade realtime on ones boat?

Any help would be most appreciated

david pollitt

#3 ·
Not absolutely certain, but I suspect there may be a few reasons why you have not received a reply. 1.) Stock trading and sailing may seem to some to be mutually exclusive. Being in the middle of the ocean and trading stock real time should only be done if you have someone else at the helm. 2.) Unless you step up to the very expensive satellite service, most services are really only meant for occassional email, internet, and weather services. The affordable services are tyically around 9600bps although some are now offering ISDN type speeds but they would be expensive if you were connected all day.

Bill

#6 ·
You know there is still limit sell and buy order. You don''t have to watch your stock all day every day. Place a limit buy at $12.50 and after that executes place a limit sell at $14.00. Wouldn''t that work and also release you from the duldrums of watching a computer screen when you could be enjoying the experience of the adventure?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.