Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
teach english abroad?

the hull diving thread got me thinking. anyone ever teach english overseas? might be a legitimate way to live somewhere/get paid for 6 months, then cruise to the next classroom somewhere else for six months? seems like it may be an end around to the international labor laws?

or any other suggestions on viable work abroad solutions would be appreciated.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2010

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Plenty of people make money by teaching English overseas. It is not an "end around" the labor laws. Just like with any other sort of work, in most countries you will be required to have a work visa in order to teach English, whether for cash or for barter.

If the idea is to set up your own "school" of sorts, on your boat, from whence you teach your lessons, then the laws will be exactly the same as for starting any other business. It is sometimes easier to get permission to start a business in a foreign country than it is to get a work visa, but that is going to vary greatly from country to country.
Old 09-29-2010

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
I like this train of thought while I am bogged down in corporate drudgery. When I was in college I used to see flyer's for this all the time. Where does one even start when it comes to looking for such a job?
Old 09-29-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Interesting that this topic came up, we are thinking about this for our journey. We have been investigating cruising to China (oh, the bureaucracy in that!) and were wondering if we could combine teaching English and finding a secure (typhoons) dock in an interesting part of the country. It would be easier because I am a retired teacher with experience teaching ESL. My wife was born in China and has a doctorate in physics - we were wondering if she could get a job teaching science in a school or even in a nursery school (not science) since she loves young children.

Not sure how it would work overall since most of the places that have lots of ESL jobs are off the beaten cruising track - China, South Korea, and Japan come to mind, Singapore or Malaysia might be a possibility. I think in Europe there is no shortage of English teachers and in most tropical countries there is not the money available to pay for ESL, at least by our standards.

We will be leaving our boat in New Zealand in Nov/11 and would go to China either late 2011 or early 2012 - we will have to see what we can do about this.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 09-30-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
I would thing that one requirement for teaching english is a measure of fluency in the native language of the students one will be teaching, no?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 09-30-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Actually not - many new university grads head off to East Asia to teach English in places like Korea and Japan not knowing a word of the local. The English learning for students improves when everything happens in the class in English. Increasingly you need to have some sort of certification. May not be full teacher cert but a short-term ESL program will do.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 09-30-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
it appears that there are a bunch of places to get said cert, but i dont know who is reputable/offers the best placement assistence...

Teach Abroad: International Teaching Positions - Teach Abroad Programs at GoAbroad.com

Teach English Abroad, Teaching English Abroad - LanguageCorps

from what I could gather, european countries pay approx 1000 EU/MO, about 1350 USD.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 10-05-2010

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
You definetely wont get rich on $1350. Does anyone know anyone that has done this before?
Old 10-05-2010
Weekend Sailor

edguy3 is on a distinguished road
I have a friend who currently teaches "Mickey Mouse English" (really) in Japan, China and other nearby countries. Liked it so much he settled there.

My wife's cousin taught for Nova in Japan for a year right out of grad school - loved it ( moved to Rwanda afterwards)

And another cousin supports teachers at the English Language Institute in China (English Language Institute China - Home)

If you're serious, I'm sure they'd love to talk about their experiences and perhaps opportunities. PM me.
Old 10-06-2010

SailingWebGuy is on a distinguished road
Three of my buddies are teaching in Asia. Two in South Korea and one in China. One of the guys went over 4 years ago. After learning the language he stopped teaching and now does some kind of consulting and is making pretty good money.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.