Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post
gotta love it any time you can work 'schlepping' into a conversation! lol. in TX to discourage illegal dumping they have reduced the cost of pump out to 5bucks, and my current marina even has a service that will bring the m/v pooper pumpout right to your slip for a service fee.
Our marina has pump-outs at each dock. They come around once a week and pump out boats on the list. I pump our own out, and I could do so more than once a week if desired, but haven't had to yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2010

OceanCKR is on a distinguished road
Sailingdog, thanks very much for your time to reply in depth, see my replies back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Have you or your wife ever been on a boat for extended periods of time? If not, you might want to try staying on a boat for a week or so before making this leap. If you and your wife are susceptible to sea sickness of any serious sort, you would probably be better off finding out before making a commitment that is hard to change.

No, however we have spent a few days aboard a 26 foot McGregor sailing from Mission Bay to Catalina, no problems at all. I have worked on boats as a Divemaster, I have no problems. I have also been on other sailboats with friends and love it dearly. The kids have not, so they may have some adjusting to get through, however they never get car sick and can ride the craziest rides at amusement parks so I think they will be fine.

Instead of getting a 50' boat, you might want to consider getting a smaller catamaran, like a Gemini 105Mc instead. The boat will likely be far less expensiveósince a Gemini can be had for about $170,000 new, versus $400,000 for a 50' monohull, and it will have about as much interior space. Also, a catamaran will be far more comfortable at anchor or a slip than a monohull, since it will not roll.

Your costs will also be much lower, since most marinas charge by the foot for many services including slips, and a Gemini is narrow enough that it will not incur additional charges for excessive beam and fits in a standard 40' slip.

I have considered a cat, however from what I hear they are much more difficult to get a liveaboard slip for because of the width. Also, I have been looking at 50+ DuFour's, Beneteau's, and some other types that are less than 10 years old and are priced under $200K which is my max budget for a purchase. I have not seen any cats under $200K, but maybe I am not looking in all the right places? Also, we do plan to circumnavigate at some point and want to gain the experience and training on our liveaboard mono prior to making that passage.

Why would you think this? If you pick a good marina, then the other liveaboards will be a huge bonus...just like any neighborhood on land. Pick the wrong marina... then your neighbors will be problematic, just like it can be on dry land.

I think this based on many of the threads I have read on this forum and others, and some books I just read. Plus, I don't know anyone who is a liveaboard who can validate what it is REALLY like. I would definitely chose a marina that has all the right stuff, however until you spend time there, I wonder how well you can get to know the local liveaboard folks?

Ideally, you should keep the boat close to ready to sail.... living on a boat that isn't ready to go will be frustrating, especially if you want to take short weekend trips.
We will use the boat regularly. The whole plan is to do a lot of inter coastal trips over the next few years to get as many hours under us as possible for eventual cast off to cruise.
Old 10-15-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Just like moving to a specific new neighborhood, why don't you find the specific marina where you'll be moving to? Then it would be more of a normal move "toward" something, not a (justifiably scary) move "away" from something and toward a complete unknown.

Go to marinas, talk to the liveaboards. Talk to the managers too.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Old 10-15-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
By the way, the former Moorings boats are good, IMHO. We bought the 4-cabin (plus crews quarters forward to use as a garage) 2000 Beneteau 505.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Old 10-15-2010

thanks Bene, that is what I have in the immediate plans, to visit all the marinas in and around Shelter/Harbor Island. By the way, one of the boats I have my eye on is the Beneteau Oceanis 510 "Owners" version which has a 3 stateroom layout, not the 4 room charter layout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Just like moving to a specific new neighborhood, why don't you find the specific marina where you'll be moving to? Then it would be more of a normal move "toward" something, not a (justifiably scary) move "away" from something and toward a complete unknown.

Go to marinas, talk to the liveaboards. Talk to the managers too.

Regards,
Brad
Old 10-15-2010

John, very much appreciate the response. The reason for the monohull sailboat is to train and prepare for an eventual circumnavigation. I don't understand how the pumping works, or at least I do understand that you have to pump-out, that much I do know. I have spent time on boats, mainly working as a divemaster, but have sailed as well, just never as a liveaboard with a family! What I would like very much is to hear from another family who is doing this now in San Diego and can share much of their insights with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
If I was going to simply park in a marina and live there, I wouldn't choose a sailboat as the platform. Some kind of motorboat, like a trawler or cockpit motoryacht, or a houseboat would be my choice.

Sailboats are dynamic working machines, and don't make the greatest "floating condos". You'd be investing a lot of your money in a working sail rig/sails/etc, that would rarely get used and would be in the way. The layout of a motoryacht or houseboat is much better for a mostly stationary liveaboard situation.

That wouldn't mean you'd have to give up on letting the kids learn to sail and play around on the water. You'd just get them some kayaks and sailing dinghies and they could have a blast.

All that said, if I was going to be parked in the marina all the time, personally I'd prefer to live ashore. I love boats and sailing and all that, but a big part of the attraction is the ability to roam around freely. Being stationary would wear out quickly for me. I'd be looking at the open houses in no time.

Also, keep in mind that it is much easier to live and cruise aboard a boat, when you are fully unplugged from shoreside society. It is more difficult when you have a foot on shore and one on the boat, especially when it involves kids. You will still be plugged into school systems and related activities, not to mention work. A lot of those shoreside things you'll still have to do will be logistically more difficult from a boat and marina. Maybe it will feel less hectic, maybe not?

There are certainly folks who do it, and hopefully you'll hear from some. I'm just hoping you'll go into it with your eyes wide open, fully realizing the implications. That can be hard to do if you have little or no boating experience.

Just as a random example, do you understand how the toilet plumbing works on a boat? You will need to keep all the "waste" in a tank on your boat. When it fills up, you will have to have the tank pumped out at a pump out station. Depending the size of the tank, with a family of four, you may get 3-5 days between pump outs. And you will always be fretting about the status of that tank -- will it max-out at 2 am one morning, with no more flushes until you can pump it out the day after tomorrow?

Anyway, I am not trying to persuade you one way or the other. But it doesn't sound to me like you have a true appreciation for the realities you will face. Liveaboard life looks perfectly idyllic from a distance, but it actually requires a fair bit of hard work -- just like life ashore. There are plenty of costs, too, so don't assume that it's a no/low-cost existence -- boats, slips, maintenance are all expensive, just like a house ashore.

Best of luck to you.
Old 10-15-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanCKR View Post
The reason for the monohull sailboat is to train and prepare for an eventual circumnavigation.
This seems to indicate you believe it is not possible to circumnavigate in a catamaran. That is certainly not true. I'm sure SD will be along shortly to extol the seakeeping virtues of the multihull.
Old 10-15-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
You're not crazy, there I said it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 10-15-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
I'm not crazy. Everybody else is.

Old 10-15-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
ok, ok... who always chimes in with the tin foil colander hat comments? time to make an appearance...

crap, he KINDA LOOKS LIKE ME!!!

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture