Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010

OceanCKR is on a distinguished road
Please tell me I am not crazy?

I searched for posts that would enlighten me to my exact situation, nothing seemed to tell me that I could be making a really bad decision, or maybe a good one. That said, my wife and I are considering selling our house and moving aboard a boat with our 2 children (son 8, daughter 5). I can't seem to find a post in any liveaboard forum that speaks specifically about the pros and cons of just living aboard a boat this size as a family in a slip in San Diego, raising kids, learning to sail, living in a floating condo for just that reason.

Our plan... this is where I need to know if I am crazy, or if this might actually work. Sell the house, buy a 50 foot boat with 3 staterooms and and liveaboard in a marina in San Diego (Shelter Island, or near by) while the kids go to school in Pt. Loma. The reason for this is that we are tired of paying a huge mortgage and are looking to simplify life and save some money for our future. We are tired of the concrete jungle and keeping up with the Jones's. We are incredibly close and are the kind of family who can be in close quarters together. We are a very adventurous and out doors family, camping regularly, traveling the world. I am an avid surfer and diver, the ocean is my home away home.

I have read many threads about the difficulties of just getting a slip this big as a liveaboard. Also how the lifestyle or those other liveaboards around us may not be the best environment to raise our kids in. Whether it is safe or not for my wife and kids while I am at work all day?

I really just want or need to hear that this is either a terrible idea, or one that will work if we make it work. I know that there are lots of challenges with owning a boat, all the maintenance etc. Will we even be able to find a liveaboard slip for a boat this size? We are willing to accept and embrace this lifestyle, it is what we think want to do in preparation for eventually departing on a global cruising adventure once the kids are on their own.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
If its what you guys want to do - go for it, find the positives, listen to the negatives and only act on those which need attention, ignore the rest.

You will find that some poelpe are jeolous and want to see you fail, others just dont understand. Others are supportive. Its your life, not theirs - Life is short - go for it.

Oh, yeah your crazy!!! Like the rest of us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-15-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
St Anna - that's it Exactly! Let me ask this question when you get the scary advice - consider the source. Are the people who are telling you its dangerous, etc liveaboards themselves, or are they speculating based on stories they read on the internet?

Been living aboard 8+ years now, partly in a marina and partly cruising; it's been the best community I've ever lived in, and will only go back to land life when I'm too feeble to walk down the dock unassisted. "Captain Force" on this forum raised a family living aboard and is cruising now that the kids are grown and gone, or this blog from some folks who are marina living raising a 6-year-old and baby sister incubating Zach Aboard
Old 10-15-2010

Matvolver is on a distinguished road
CKR - you're not crazy at all (at least in that regards )

The whole reason I'm looking at living on a sailboat was because I was listening to the radio and they told a story about a family who sailed the world for 8 years together to grow closer together. Before that, I never realized you could do that (live on a boat) in the first place. I've read several blogs about living at sea with kids - apparently they do survive the parents insanities to go on and sail themselves

I would suggest you consider some extended cruises once you get to know your boat better - one of the finer points of living on a sailboat is the fact that you can move to other places whenever you feel like it I can't imagine the kids complaining about a summer vacation in Hawaii or the Bahamas

As St Anna said, it's YOUR life, as well it's YOUR responsibility as to how you raise your children - not the place of others to tell you how to raise them! I think it would be wonderful of you to give your kids the opportunity to learn about boats and the places they can take you - and how would it be more dangerous to live in than the concrete jungle anyways?

best wishes for your future - and your kids
Old 10-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanCKR View Post
I searched for posts that would enlighten me to my exact situation, nothing seemed to tell me that I could be making a really bad decision, or maybe a good one. That said, my wife and I are considering selling our house and moving aboard a boat with our 2 children (son 8, daughter 5). I can't seem to find a post in any liveaboard forum that speaks specifically about the pros and cons of just living aboard a boat this size as a family in a slip in San Diego, raising kids, learning to sail, living in a floating condo for just that reason.
Have you or your wife ever been on a boat for extended periods of time? If not, you might want to try staying on a boat for a week or so before making this leap. If you and your wife are susceptible to sea sickness of any serious sort, you would probably be better off finding out before making a commitment that is hard to change.

Quote:
Our plan... this is where I need to know if I am crazy, or if this might actually work. Sell the house, buy a 50 foot boat with 3 staterooms and and liveaboard in a marina in San Diego (Shelter Island, or near by) while the kids go to school in Pt. Loma. The reason for this is that we are tired of paying a huge mortgage and are looking to simplify life and save some money for our future. We are tired of the concrete jungle and keeping up with the Jones's. We are incredibly close and are the kind of family who can be in close quarters together. We are a very adventurous and out doors family, camping regularly, traveling the world. I am an avid surfer and diver, the ocean is my home away home.
Instead of getting a 50' boat, you might want to consider getting a smaller catamaran, like a Gemini 105Mc instead. The boat will likely be far less expensive—since a Gemini can be had for about $170,000 new, versus $400,000 for a 50' monohull, and it will have about as much interior space. Also, a catamaran will be far more comfortable at anchor or a slip than a monohull, since it will not roll.

Your costs will also be much lower, since most marinas charge by the foot for many services including slips, and a Gemini is narrow enough that it will not incur additional charges for excessive beam and fits in a standard 40' slip.

Quote:
I have read many threads about the difficulties of just getting a slip this big as a liveaboard. Also how the lifestyle or those other liveaboards around us may not be the best environment to raise our kids in. Whether it is safe or not for my wife and kids while I am at work all day?
Why would you think this? If you pick a good marina, then the other liveaboards will be a huge bonus...just like any neighborhood on land. Pick the wrong marina... then your neighbors will be problematic, just like it can be on dry land.

Quote:
I really just want or need to hear that this is either a terrible idea, or one that will work if we make it work. I know that there are lots of challenges with owning a boat, all the maintenance etc. Will we even be able to find a liveaboard slip for a boat this size? We are willing to accept and embrace this lifestyle, it is what we think want to do in preparation for eventually departing on a global cruising adventure once the kids are on their own.
Ideally, you should keep the boat close to ready to sail.... living on a boat that isn't ready to go will be frustrating, especially if you want to take short weekend trips.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-15-2010

Thanks St Anna, it is what we think we want to do. Of course both of us are definitely scared to make the leap, I think anyone would be for the most part. We are not the type to be influenced by others, I am just looking to see if the majority agrees that you can find a peaceful and safe liveaboard experience in San Diego to replace living in a house.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
If its what you guys want to do - go for it, find the positives, listen to the negatives and only act on those which need attention, ignore the rest.

You will find that some poelpe are jeolous and want to see you fail, others just dont understand. Others are supportive. Its your life, not theirs - Life is short - go for it.

Oh, yeah your crazy!!! Like the rest of us.
Old 10-15-2010

Appreciate the feedback eryka, any other blog's of liveaboards you know of would be greatly appreciated, I really like reading the personal stories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
St Anna - that's it Exactly! Let me ask this question when you get the scary advice - consider the source. Are the people who are telling you its dangerous, etc liveaboards themselves, or are they speculating based on stories they read on the internet?

Been living aboard 8+ years now, partly in a marina and partly cruising; it's been the best community I've ever lived in, and will only go back to land life when I'm too feeble to walk down the dock unassisted. "Captain Force" on this forum raised a family living aboard and is cruising now that the kids are grown and gone, or this blog from some folks who are marina living raising a 6-year-old and baby sister incubating Zach Aboard
Old 10-15-2010

I too have read and learned of these same stories of families having a wonderful time as a liveaboard. That and the fact that I have already spent much of my life on or below the ocean is why I want to do this. I don't want my kids growing up thinking a 5 bedroom house and luxury cars are the norm. I have lived all over the world and in some crazy places and I know this is not the reality I want them to believe in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matvolver View Post
CKR - you're not crazy at all (at least in that regards )

The whole reason I'm looking at living on a sailboat was because I was listening to the radio and they told a story about a family who sailed the world for 8 years together to grow closer together. Before that, I never realized you could do that (live on a boat) in the first place. I've read several blogs about living at sea with kids - apparently they do survive the parents insanities to go on and sail themselves

I would suggest you consider some extended cruises once you get to know your boat better - one of the finer points of living on a sailboat is the fact that you can move to other places whenever you feel like it I can't imagine the kids complaining about a summer vacation in Hawaii or the Bahamas

As St Anna said, it's YOUR life, as well it's YOUR responsibility as to how you raise your children - not the place of others to tell you how to raise them! I think it would be wonderful of you to give your kids the opportunity to learn about boats and the places they can take you - and how would it be more dangerous to live in than the concrete jungle anyways?

best wishes for your future - and your kids
Old 10-15-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
I have found the marina community to be filled with some of the nicest and most responsible 'neighbors' one could have. As SD mentioned, you may want to either rent a boat or consider taking a 7-14 day vacation on a charter somewhere to make sure the close quarter thing works as per your thinking.
i dont think you are crazy at all. the three stateroom thing makes sense, as was mentioned in another thread that kids really like having their own space, but you probably already know that...

i dont think you are crazy at all, if you can get out of the house without getting killed in the current real estate market....

good luck

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 10-15-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanCKR View Post

Our plan...Sell the house, buy a 50 foot boat with 3 staterooms. We are tired of keeping up with the Jones's.
Keep trying. I own a 52 foot boat with 4 staterooms.