SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   V-Berth mattress - What to make it out of? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/69446-v-berth-mattress-what-make-out.html)

neoxaero 10-27-2010 07:34 PM

V-Berth mattress - What to make it out of?

My boat didn't come with any cushions of any sort (Except for some lawn chair cushions on the Settee .....

Since its finally to a point where spending a night on the boat wouldn't cause me to die of dehydration I'm looking to make a decent mattress for the boat.
I don't need it to be as comfy as a tempurpedic but close in comfort to a cheap air mattress! :laugher

I was thinking about buying a 4" thick mattress topper from Walmart and cutting it down to fit correctly.

I was also considering making settee and quarter berth cushions out of some 2" foam

Are there any other options out there?

genieskip 10-27-2010 09:15 PM

2" foam is too thin for comfortable sleeping. 4" is minimum. Don't cut corners now since a couple extra inches of foam is not that expensive, even if you don't plan on sleeping on the settees or quarterbunks now. You might later on, or the next buyer might decide that having to get new cushions for those bunks makes his bid lower when you decide to sell. The expense and/or work is in the upholstering and the difference in cost of a 2' or 4' inch thickness is negligible.

MacGyverRI 10-27-2010 10:03 PM

This place custom cuts for decent money.

dining room seat replacement, sofa cushion foam, window seat cushions, inexpensive foam products,

CaptainForce 10-28-2010 06:34 AM

We do best with 4" firm closed cell foam and topped with 2" "memory foam" for bedding and the 4" alone for seating. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

newhaul 10-28-2010 01:51 PM

exactly as everyone else stated the cost diference is minimal and from experience making them for boats and rvs my family has had. Coushions are not the place to scrimp good cushions will increse resale value considerably more than the initial cost cheapper ones will decrese the resale value.
good cushions will make the time spent on the boat much more enjoyable as well.

MacGyverRI 10-28-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newhaul (Post 660211)
Coushions are not the place to scrimp good cushions will increse resale value considerably more than the initial cost cheapper ones will decrese the resale value.
good cushions will make the time spent on the boat much more enjoyable as well.

I was ordering from the link I posted then someone had a complete used set of 5" thick for $250 from an Irwin 36 or 37. Cutting them was easy w/ Stanleys snap a blade cutter.

neoxaero 11-01-2010 10:37 AM

Thanks for all the posts everyone.

We ended up buying a 4" thick memory foam topper from Walmart and I used an exacto knife to cut it to the correct size and shape. I had enough left over to make one cushion for a settee and some small "throw pillows" for lounging in the cockpit.

All in all it was money well spent and I slept like a baby on Friday night. It was a bit cramped but my wife is a bed hog :laugher

I'm definitely going to put a 4" topper on my bed at home and on the big boat when we get it to..

CaptainForce 11-01-2010 10:48 AM

Two added points to mention in order to best maintain bedding comfort:
1) Take care to insulate the bedding from any hull condensation that can collect with a temperature gradient through the hull.
2) Never bring any salty skin or clothing from swimming or salt spray on deck into contact with the bedding. Once the salt is present it will continue to absorb moisture and keep the bedding damp. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

remetau 11-01-2010 11:35 AM

We have a 4" latex mattress custom made and upholstered. We tried a memory foam topper, but I found it too hot to sleep on. They use the heat from your body to heat the foam so that it contours your shape.

Julie303 12-11-2010 02:02 PM

I have 4" foam and it left me with bruises until I put the Froli Sleep System springs under it. (I'm not affiliated with froli.) It's a bunch of plastic springs that go together like tinker toys gone mad. Results are like an innerspring mattress. It also keeps the foam off of the base so no condensation seeps into the foam. Love it!