Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
How Do You Get Your Family Out The Door?

I hope that I'm not alone with this.

We love the boat, but have land responsibilities too, just like most of us. So I'm sitting here with stuff packed but the family is doing this and that and the clock is ticking, the sun is shining, breeze is blowing, and I have a new sail. Yes, I help with the packing, but it's always "one more thing".

So. How do you get your family out the door without a) getting hit, b) getting yelled at, c) being an ogre?
Old 10-30-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
At least you're getting a little Sailnet time while all those 'one more things' gets taken care of..

I feel for you.. great day, new sail to try... We're empty-nesters downsized to a condo so there's a lot fewer "one more things" to get in the way.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Plan ahead- pack the night before, and always keep a "go" bag ready by the door. Also, lie about the departure time. If you really want to be out of the driveway by 11:00 am, announce the night before that departure is at 8, and therefore everyone is to be up at 7:00.
Old 10-30-2010
Happy to be here

Justapersona is on a distinguished road
We're just getting started with this, but leaving a copy of everything we might want on the boat has gotten over a lot of the "preparation" hurdle. Fleece, windbreaker, thick socks, boat shoes, hats, sunglasses... everyone knows what's there waiting for them. Can almost arrive in your pajamas. :-)

The trick is leaving it all there at the end - everyone wants to wear it home.

And, I thoughtfully stock various goodies aboard I don't keep at home (sodas, tiny Snickers) so a trip to the boat is in itself a treat.

Finally, we tie it all to a time to be home. That way it's easier to go out the door by 9 if you think you'll be back at 3. You don't have to figure much out before leaving. Truth is, once on the water, no one cares about when they get back.
Catalina 22 #15,174 & Coronado 15 #2271, Denver
Old 10-30-2010

MC1 is on a distinguished road
I was frustrated with this problem for a while. My routine is now . . .

1) Several days before - State the plan and ask, "who's in?" (it helps if everyone feels like they can opt out, at least some of the time)

2) Night before - Remind everybody I'll need help with the logistics and keeping to schedule; I communicate the key timeline elements (e.g., leave home by 10:00, sailing by 11:00, back at the dock by 2:00, home by 4:00); we discuss any requested adjustments at this point to minimize frustration the next morning

3) Morning of - Generally keep to the agreed plan, but stay a little flexible (I have one chronic late person - my solution there is stand and watch him from time to time with a bemused look on my face)

4) If I'm falling behind too much - I gently ASK for additional help keeping to the plan

5) If still no luck - I mildly express dissapointment and consider going single-handing

This approach generally works well for me.
Old 10-30-2010
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post

So. How do you get your family out the door without a) getting hit, b) getting yelled at, c) being an ogre?

Impossible.

Steal all their cell phones/gameboys/etc while they sleep and put them on the boat. Announce where they are at 6am. They might beat you out there.
Old 10-30-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Sometimes I take a second car, earlier. The rational is to work on a few small projects and to prep the boat... which is mostly sort of kind of true. Sometimes I'll go the night before and sleep aboard.

It removes me from the situation, lowers my stress level, lets me get a few things done, and allows everyone to go at their own pace. Try it.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-30-2010

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Sometimes I take a second car, earlier. The rational is to work on a few small projects and to prep the boat... which is mostly sort of kind of true. Sometimes I'll go the night before and sleep aboard.

It removes me from the situation, lowers my stress level, lets me get a few things done, and allows everyone to go at their own pace. Try it.
Yup. Generally very little 'prep' to do, but arriving earlier lets me tackle one or more of the little maintenance things that are otherwise too easy to ignore. I've also grown very comfortable single handling and no longer feel guilty about it. I don't like being an ogre and know that my being angry heading for the boat doesn't make it too much fun for anybody.

I also adjust the planned departure knowing it isn't likely to happen on time with my family.

My wife and kids are chronically late for everything, despite repeated discussions about how it's a bad thing to be known for, blah, blah, blah. I'm convinced they will ALL be late to my funeral... "oh, sorry - we thought you weren't coming... we'll dig him up so you can get a looksee"
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 10-31-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLucas View Post
Yup. Generally very little 'prep' to do, but arriving earlier lets me tackle one or more of the little maintenance things that are otherwise too easy to ignore. I've also grown very comfortable single handling and no longer feel guilty about it. I don't like being an ogre and know that my being angry heading for the boat doesn't make it too much fun for anybody.

I also adjust the planned departure knowing it isn't likely to happen on time with my family.

My wife and kids are chronically late for everything, despite repeated discussions about how it's a bad thing to be known for, blah, blah, blah. I'm convinced they will ALL be late to my funeral... "oh, sorry - we thought you weren't coming... we'll dig him up so you can get a looksee"
Exactly

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
A couple of things that were mentioned already that really work for us...
  1. Two cars
  2. Pack the night before

Photo by Joe McCary