Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2010

ChicagoPilot is on a distinguished road
Chicago Liveaboard

I was interested in Chicago area marinas that are friendly to liveaboards. I will only be living on my boat during the warm months, was just curious which marinas are best the best suited for this. I work at O'Hare, and only drive to work a couple times a month, so my range is from Waukegan to Hammond. Also I am looking to live there this upcoming summer, so waiting lists may be a problem.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2010

ERJpilot is on a distinguished road
Are you getting displaced from IAH by chance?
Old 11-21-2010
Schoolmarm

schoolmarm is on a distinguished road
Live aboard in Chicago

Had friends that spent the summer living on their boat for 5 months in Waukegan. Was there in August and there were plenty of slips available. A great marina.
Old 11-23-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
dunno how 'friendly' to LAs Belmont harbor is, but it is pretty nice and has decent accomodations and a quality sailing community... from casual beer can to commando racer. down by the old midway airport there is a nice marina, may be pricier due to downtown proximity, but had private parking pass and gate keycode--and while i dont know the tech. rules on LAs I spent many a consecutive night there w/o an issue. someone here will help me remember the name of the place.

also if you venture as far as hammond you might even want to consider looking at slips as far as portage/michigan city, as the cost vs additional travel time maybe worth it, esp. if you take the sunshine skyway bridge into the city or even consider the southshore line to randolph, then the blue line which drops u right in ohare.
good luck

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Last edited by QuickMick; 11-23-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-23-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
ah ha, its monroe harbor. there is a 'canal harbor' as well, but iirc that is attached to the two honeycomb pking garage/condos (you know the ones dirty harry drove off of, just a wee bit south of the new trump deal) and if so very $$$ as the are right in the shiznit and its strictly pbers. maybe wrong on that last tidbit.

oh one other thing to consider is if you only plan on using your boat in the summer in addition to slip rental the pluck/storage/splash fees would probably be considerably cheaper in a more suburban locale...just a notion.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Last edited by QuickMick; 11-23-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-25-2010

ChicagoPilot is on a distinguished road
No, I'm not being displaced from IAH...
Old 11-26-2010

arisatx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoPilot View Post
I was interested in Chicago area marinas that are friendly to liveaboards. I will only be living on my boat during the warm months, was just curious which marinas are best the best suited for this. I work at O'Hare, and only drive to work a couple times a month, so my range is from Waukegan to Hammond. Also I am looking to live there this upcoming summer, so waiting lists may be a problem.
CP:

Waukegan and NorthPoint are accessible via public transportation, if that's a consideration, with METRA stations walking distance (or via shuttle).

Waukegan is amidst a town with an industrial heritage, but has a good yard Larsen's right next door.

NPM is next to a nature preserve, which was more of what we were looking for. But a little further than Waukegan.

Downtown is great with the skyline and access to city attractions, but we tended to just sail down there for the weekend and explore w/our folding bikes - and yes, there have been waiting lists in years past.
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Old 11-26-2010

OurRipple is on a distinguished road
If you are planning to be in a Chicago harbor-
you need to call Westrec (Chicago Harbors - Westrec Marinas) to check availability.
Monroe Harbor is the likely starting harbor and only has cans. The wait list for a slip- depending on the harbor and the size of your boat can be years.

Waukegan is a very nice marina and has good access to Metra (the train line) but if you are working at O'Hare- you will probably need to drive as the train would be an awkward commute (Train to south to the city- then "L" west to the airport- at best an hour an a half where a drive is about half that)

North Point is even farther away- by public transportation you would spend at least 2 hours each way- driving maybe an hour.

Last edited by OurRipple; 11-26-2010 at 09:39 AM.