Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2003

928frenzy is on a distinguished road
Drugs

I drink liquor, but only when the boat is held fast to a stationary object or surface. When underway, the drinking lamp is out. I don''t smoke, but I let others can do so as long as they stay downwind of me.

The topic of ''why are drugs illegal while tobacco and alcohol are not'' is one that has cussed and discussed long before you or I were born.

If you feel strongly about changing the laws, then I suggest you become politically active to cause the anti-drug laws to be lifted. If you can get enough folks to agree, then you may be able to convince law makers to change those laws. Till then, you''re stuck with them, and are legally bound by them, whether you like it or not.

That''s our system. It may not be perfect, but I''ve yet to find one better.

Other coutries have anti-drug laws that make ours seem very liberal. Turkey for example has some strange laws that you may want to keep in mind. I know of two US Navy sailors who were jailed for six years and a day for posessing marijuana. They were turned into the police by the cab driver who had just sold it to them, and he was not charged. BTW, those two sailors tried every diplomatic trick in the book, but the Turkish justice system held firm to their convictions and those two young men spent a good part of their productive lives in a Turkish jail. I''m sure there are many other similar stories. Do you want to take the chance of being a new one?

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2003

Jeffamc is on a distinguished road
Drugs

yea, sorry i didnt mean to sound anti-american or anything its just that i feel pissed that i was born into a society that is so square minded, i dunno im just always pissed at all forms of authority, i feel that no one should tell me what i can and cannot do. i dunno im weird i guess
Old 05-18-2003

jbanta is on a distinguished road
Drugs

Jeff
Sorry my man but with social order comes laws. With laws come law makers. And law makers bring thier idea of morality with them into office. Still the best way to get what you want is to work for men and women running for office that share your ideas.
Old 05-19-2003

928frenzy is on a distinguished road
Drugs

Jeff:
You sound a tad immature. I''m curious to know if there are any rules that you want others to follow? For example, would you allow others to come into your house or room and break whatever they didn''t like? Could they take whatever they wanted without asking you? Could they "shoot-up" in your place if they felt like it?

Let''s say you let them get high in your pad. What would you do if they had a bad trip? How would you deal with a doper who is convulsing in your room? What do you do if he/she dies? Do you think you might be a bit responsible?

You don''t have to answer these questions right now. Just remember this, someday when you have kids of your own, your answers may differ from the ones you might give today.

Since I raised my kids, I don''t feel inclined to raise you. However, I think you need to grow up.

Lastly, consider the ramifications of a society with "NO RULES". With respect to boating, imagine boat passing or crossing in front of others without caring about right-of-way. People loading boats WAY over their recommended capacity.

A society without rules quickly turns into chaos. For proof, just see/listen/read what''s happening in Iraq today. No cops = looters. Armed men in gangs decide who lives or dies. Is that what you want?

I suggest you make lots of money, then you can buy your own island and make your own rules. Till then, live within the ones society has decided are best for all of us.

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Old 05-19-2003

tsenator is on a distinguished road
Drugs

Jim Banta,

Not a big deal, but what does boat knowledge test taking have to do with the original post about possesion of Pot when sailing in foreign waters.

Ps. I tend to agree with you, there are a few "numbnuts" out on the water that know absolutely nothing about the basics, which could be very dangerous in a "high stressed" environment. BTW - Connecticut requires passing a basic boaters test/exam. And NJ requires it of Jet skiers.
Old 05-19-2003

Drugs

Sorry if you didn''t see the tie in. I guess it was because we were having a argument on the Pacnorthwest group at the time and my thoughts were going that way. But It seemed to tie in to me anyway.
Old 05-19-2003

conradconrad is on a distinguished road
Drugs

Actually curious about the pacnorthwest group how do you get involved and what is it????????? previous ly from Schoocumchuck Creek Puget Sound
Old 05-19-2003

Drugs

I left you a message on how to connect...
Old 05-20-2003

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
Drugs

Please, let''s try and keep the drugs off the water! I can understand there are those who use "recreational" drugs. But they are putting the rest of us at risk. Don''t I have the same rights to freedom the drug users have? So shouldn''t I have the right to enjoy our country''s many miles of coastline without running the risk of endangering my family and friends by possibly encountering an "impaired" boater. The constitution up-holds your rights to do what you want in the sanctity of your home. When that principal was attempted to be applied to motor vehicles, it was clearly shown that you are no longer putting yourself at risk, but the general motoring public as well. The same should be applied to boating. While you may be enjoying yourself boating while "High" it is putting not only yourself, but also those around you in other vessels at risk. That is a violation of MY civil rights.

Oh, and for an idea of how other countries may feel towards your possession and use of illicit narcotics, why don''t you rent a copy of "Midnight Express". If that doesn''t get you to curb your appitite for traveling with drugs, nothing will.

I enjoy an alchoholic beverage myself, but not while underway. However, I do enjoy relaxing at the dock with a cold one, watching the poor skippers who have had a bit too much try and hit their slip, as long as they don''t hit my transom in the process.
Old 05-20-2003

Roscoe123 is on a distinguished road
Drugs

My advice is to use the marijuana to make butter or oil which can be used for cooking. It can be infused into the butter with other strong smelling herbs to cover the scent...at least from people. Even if the dogs hit on it in the bottom of you reefer, once examined by a person, it is easily ruled out as an illegal substance. It may not be as pleasurable for you to sit back and eat a bowl of pasta or a cookie as it would be to smoke a joint, but twenty minutes later you won''t care anyway.

I personally feel that marijauna is not a drug, should not be illegal, and in no way threatens my ability to drive, sail, work, etc... I think it is the combination of marijauna with other substances, most commonly alcohol, that causes problems. Anyone who says that marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol or cigarettes is a fool. The only evidence that ever supported that case comes directly from government sponsored studies or from those closely connected to the alcohol business who feel more and more threatened by the growing acceptance of marijuana as a popular and safe recreational drug.

Anyone who''s so serious about sailing that they''re afraid to have a couple of beers while out on a nice day is missing the whole point of sailing in the first place. Quit worrying about your precious rub rails and have some fun. Any GOOD sailor should be able to drive and dock flawlessly with a moderate buzz. If you can''t, you should hand the boat over to someone who can. The key is knowing what your body can handle and when to say when.

Roscoe