Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2010

cpd304 is on a distinguished road
A Dreamer

A Land Locked Dreamer

All of my friends think that it is amusing and look at me with a look of “you’re such a fool” stares. Why is it so hard to believe that someone would prefer to leave civilization behind to live a “Hobo sailor” lifestyle? I actually started to keep my dreams to myself, except for a very few close friends. My daughter is 18 and my son will be starting high school next year. My wife and I have taken some sailing lessons and 2 weeks ago bought our first sailboat (Chrysler 22’).
As soon as we get comfortable sailing the 22 footer, we hope to go to at least a 33 foot boat and become live aboards. We still have 5 years before our son is out of school and at that time we both will be 42 years old. My wife loves the idea of becoming a “Hobo sailor”, so why shouldn’t we give it a shot? Why all the nay sayings and “you fool” look?
Are there others like me and my wife? Are we too old to be just beginning? Yes, I am still new at the whole sailing thing but, I’m not an idiot… I can learn. Everybody has to start somewhere. I believe I can still be a useful and productive person while sailing. Why does it have to be a weird thing to want to sail away?
Joey Haley
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2010
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
Good question Joey ..
I am over 50 now and get the same thing from just about everyone I know ( been doing Harleys for 30 years professionally after leaving the USMC .
Also you know how Texans are lol , I spent the last few years helping my Brother in law ( StJo Tex.) finnish up (sell off after his father died)the ranch/farm with 700 head cattle , and told them all the next thing for me is the Sea and wowwwww you should of seen the looks lol!!

Before it's all over I will have a few of my rideing brothers in tenny sneeks and on deck of a boat before we all become dust in the wind ....

Your not alone , just get er done time is a wasting.

Good luck.
Old 12-04-2010

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
Go for it.Had a c22 long time ago,probably enjoyed that boat as much as a ny other.Best marc
Old 12-04-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
You are not alone in your views --> and when you get back from cruising, will want to turn around and head off again.

Shore life is very shallow and full of BS.

Turn the 'dream' into a plan and go for it. Everyone will tell you that you cannot do it - because they dont understand. Everybody starts at the beginning and learns from others and mistakes. Common sense will not steer you wrong.

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-04-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
By definition, a hobo wanders from place to place without a permanent home or means to make a living.

If that's what you must do and you have a plan to feed yourself and make boat repairs without stealing anything, go for it.
Old 12-04-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Hey cpd, you're not crazy, you just have unimaginative friends ... we've been living on a 33-footer for 9 years, using it as a floating condo while working. Thought we'd be surrounded by druggies and rebels and dropouts, found our neighbors to be professionals (a judge, a nurse, a pilot ...) who just didn't buy into the McMansion dream filled with stuff you don't need and can't afford. Then we retired & took off for a 9-month cruise to the Bahamas, finding lots of other folks also living the dream. Husband grew up on a farm in Kansas and went sailing for the first time ever in his late 40s. Five years later he was coaching sailing at the Naval Academy in Annapolis. So yes, it can be done, go for it!
Old 12-04-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
A liveaboard and a hobo sailor seem like two different approaches to me, but I could be wrong.

I migrant sailor or possibly nomad sailor also seem different and more responsible. Totally over thinking this !!

Last edited by Minnewaska; 12-04-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-04-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Minne - I see where you're coming from and totally agree! I very much feared being perceived as a boat bum when we first moved aboard and I was quite secretive about where we lived. (Getting started | Jaye Lunsford - Life Afloat | Blogs (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital)) In the case of the OP; I was keying on the 2nd-to-last sentence: "I believe I can still be a useful and productive person while sailing."
Old 12-04-2010

cpd304 is on a distinguished road
When I say "hobo Sailor", I didnt mean to be a bum... I just meant the sense of freedom hobos talked about.... plus I stole the term from my favorite blog on the net, "The Hobo Sailor". <----- I love his blogs.

Joey
Old 12-28-2010
Camper Nicholson 44

imsaint007 is on a distinguished road
I know what you meant , I 'm living on my boat now for the past year and also getting ready for a permanent voyage , just retired at 62 and the time is now , nobody understand me even my wife she don't like the idea , I'm set firm on my dreams even I have to look for a new first mate .