Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011

Giffie is on a distinguished road
Sailing licence for the Canaries

Been looking everywhere and cannot seem to find what the requirement would be for a Sailing certificate for the Canary islands, I'm from Canada and wondering what equivalency of a certificate they require or is a standard boating permit enough ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To follow my sailing adventure's
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2011

rivonia is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

My only suggestion would be to go on google find a web site for Canaries and ask them. I wish you luck. As we are british and have the Yachtmaster Offshore we have no problems. Do you have any sailing certificates or diplomas?

Peter
Old 01-16-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think it depends on whether you're going to be on your own boat or chartering one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-17-2011

My own boat, will be sailing their from Canada come spring. Self taught sailor have not taken any courses yet,

Old 01-18-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Smile

There is no legal requirment as yet to hold a lisence or certificate to sail your own boat for pleasure and not for profit in most Southern European countries. Proof of owership is required and insurence can be required. The boat itself needs to meet European safety and environmental standards and adequet life jackets and safety equipment is mandatory as is a written passage plan and properly maintained log book. Paper charts are also a requirment for the area being cruised. Yacht hire generaly requires a comptency cert such as the RYA day skipper or simelar.
Happy sailing
Brian

Last edited by centaursailor; 01-18-2011 at 02:01 AM. Reason: miss[elling
Old 01-18-2011

jeff101 is on a distinguished road
i have just bought my first boat and it is moored in the med, southern france, i have taken my competent crew coarse i am pushing on to take my day skipper but only because my insurance company say i need to get to this leval,if your insurance company are happy with your years of experiance then i dont think there is any problem if you are on your own boat ,if you were to charter a boat new laws in the med are you must have at minimum of rya day skipper or the E.U. ICC to reach leval 0/1 and i think this applies to the canary islands,
all the best
jeff
Old 01-19-2011
Moody 46

orthomartin is on a distinguished road
canaries

I spent much of oct/nov 2010 in Canary, departed Las Palmas late Nov with ARC. Honestly they don't care. No one will inspect your boat for "safety" issues. Charts, well I do not carry paper and most the people I run into are like me and only care the big picture paper charts as to buy all the paper and electronic to cover all areas is just cost prohibitive. Worry not, just go and enjoy.
If you go north toward Gibraltar spend a few days in Mohammedia Morocco. Great place and very friendly. Oh ya, they also could give a rats ass about credentials. In the past two plus years sailing France, Italy, Croatia, Greece, Spain, and Africa never once was I asked for credentials. Always asked for passports, boat doc., and insurance papers

Old 01-20-2011

Much appreciated thanks for the information. another quick question is do you know a good vendor to acquire large scale charts.