Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011
Mirage 27

teflongeoff is on a distinguished road
Any good diesel smell solutions

Does anyone have a good solution for the constant smell of diesel fuel in the boat? I've checked for leaks and scrubbed the bilges and storage areas. Am seeking advice about good cleaner, deodorizers that work with salt water. Thanks
Old 01-16-2011
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Mine had the infamous pin holes in the bottom of the tank and the plywood supporting it was saturated.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
If you've scrubbed all the hard surfaces, and the smell persists then either you've got a continuing (albeit unfound) leak such as Denise suggests, or the odour has permeated the upholsterv and/or the headliner fabric, if present.

Does the odour get stronger when running, or is it just generally there all the time? If it varies then chances are you've got a leak somewhere on the pressure side of the fuel system - the diesel may well evaporate eventually and be difficult to spot (eg a soft return line hose, or a poorly fitted injector line fitting...)

If you haven't already, take all the upholstery out of the boat, scrub it (the boat) all down and see if the smell moves with the cushions.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-16-2011
Mirage 27

teflongeoff is on a distinguished road
wow that is a really fast response...Thanks denise and faster ...I will check out the aluminum fuel tank in my 25 year old boat that is held up on a peice of plywood for diesel saturation....today
Old 01-16-2011
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Hope it's not the tank.. but then old tanks don't hold up to hope very well. good luck hon.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-16-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Another option: ditch the diesel and get an Atomic 4!
I kinkda like the smell of gasoline and napalm in the morining!!!

Everybody has one:

Old 01-16-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflongeoff View Post
wow that is a really fast response...Thanks denise and faster ...I will check out the aluminum fuel tank in my 25 year old boat that is held up on a peice of plywood for diesel saturation....today
Ah...The magic words, ",,,old aluminum fuel tank" and "pywood" [support]. There's your problem old son. The solution is an "old-tank/plywood-ectomy". Been there, done that...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 01-16-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Ah...The magic words, ",,,old aluminum fuel tank" and "pywood" [support]. There's your problem old son. The solution is an "old-tank/plywood-ectomy". Been there, done that...
Actually, I had the same problem with an old mild steel tank (Mr. Young was right, "Rust Never Sleeps").

Teflongeoff, I would replace all the fuel hoses (unless they are brand new), whether the tank proves to be the primary source of the smell or not. The permeability standard for fuel hoses has been rather substantially upgraded recently, and old hose tends to get little cracks in it anyway.
Old 01-27-2011
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
All the above are really good suggestions. I will add that once you have any leaks fixed and if there is a persistent diesel odor I would suggest using some of the waterless orange hand cleaner. I have had good results using a bit of the hand cleaner on a shop towel to clean up spilled fuel from changing the primary filter.

Good luck!
Old 01-27-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
i've operated/worked on heavy equipment for many yrs,i hardly even notice diesel smell any more[what don't kill you makes you stronger,maybe]also not much danger of fires/explosions as with gasoline inboards,besides the oder keeps most of them pesty women away

Last edited by sawingknots; 01-27-2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: mis-spelling