Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2003

pmills42255 is on a distinguished road
Has anyone sailed to Abacos from Brunswick GA ?

I am having a tough time finding information about the best route to the Abacos from the Georgia-Florida border. It almost seems I should go south along the coast to southern florida points and then cross. Might it be better to head to Bermuda and then South? I was wondering about heading East straigh out, then southeast when it seemed right. We plan on shipping out the end of October, weather permitting.
I feel like I am in the middle, North, folks head to Bermuda, South, they head for the Bahamas. What would you do?
Sailnet was down on my computer for the week end, and wow, when its not around, one misses it alot!
Happy sailing!
Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2003

dch is on a distinguished road

Paul,
I am going to attempt a trip in September to the Abacos, weather permitting, from Amelia Island, FL. In my research, it seems best to go down to the Stuart/Ft. Lauderdale area and then go across, mainly due to the crossing of the Gulfstream. I am by no means an expert, this is just what I have discovered in research. I also asked several folks opinion and never really got a very good answer.

Good Luck,
David
Old 06-05-2003

pmills42255 is on a distinguished road

Thanks David,
It looks like this might be the best way. I still wish I could talk to someone who went offshore in GA and then sailed South entering the Islands from the East. Maybe that is actually a longer route?
Paul
Old 06-07-2003

wesk11383 is on a distinguished road

I know what you are going through, from experience and everything that I have found it seems to be best to go down to the stuart area and then over. But as you said, cross the stream and then south seams possible but I havnt found any info on that one. I have crossed a few times from south florida but have never crossed stream and then south. You can always toss the dice and try it out, worst that can happen is it takes forever and a day..
Old 06-14-2003

leehaefele is on a distinguished road

How big and seaworthy is your boat and crew? I know people who left from Beaufort NC, then went straight south to Matinilla Shoals area, North of Grand Bahama & Abaco. It is possible and shorter, but normally on a trip over 24 hours duration some of the weather will be worse than reported. You will be out of VHF radio range and there are no ports to duck into. You need sound, tested boat and experienced crew, I would want a crew of 3 and a 406 EPIRB. If you develop an emergency, you are on your own. If this is your first crossing go Lake Worth to GBI. 56nm, 12 hrs approx. This gives you the option to travel the ICW when weather outside is bad.