Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Well, for me, the money issue is there. I am a "brain labourer", in other words - I don't have a physical trade I can ply from port to port. It is hard to pick up the odd "electrical engineering" job or a quick "systems development" contract in ports up & down the Australian east coast let alone around the world. That said, it is not the decider.

The decider is that I have children, and frankly giving them every opportunity I can is far more important than my own freedom. They are learning to sail along with the wife & I, so should they choose to - they'll be able to pursue that. However, they are also being exposed to many other "land-locked" opportunities I could not provide them if we were cruising.

Honestly, I would probably tell someone where they could shove the idea that my kids are "an excuse" somewhere unpleasant. A 'choice' certainly, but an 'excuse'? No, I wouldn't say that.

That said, all my family knows (wife, kids, extended relations) that we plan to go cruising when the kids are old enough to look after themselves. I don't expect my kids to all go to university (hell, if none of them do and they're happy - I'm still pleased as punch). Yet, when they all get to that stage, we're off to enjoy the other half of our lives out on the ocean
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
.....and also too easy now to try and break away and find you have taken most it with you on your boat
Indeed. I do not understand it, but there it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-22-2011

PaulfromNWOnt is on a distinguished road
I don't wish to limit myself. Right now I sail, canoe, go camping, snowmobile, snowshoe, work with a youth organization, and the list goes on. If I ever decide that cruising is what I want to do, then I will.
Old 01-22-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
To go cruising?

First you must have a Boat :cry:

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 01-22-2011

capecodda is on a distinguished road
there was this day in the Grenadines

OK, here's a story.

I'm sailing for 2 weeks in the Grenadines. I need to (yea, I know beat me up on this ) check some email for work, so I look in the cruising guide and find this "internet cafe" listed. I run the dingy in, tie up, and walk into the place at approximately 2PM (1400 for you extreme nautical types).

The tattooed bar tender looks at me disdainfully to ask what I'll have. The long term cruising regulars are sitting at the bar, Nth round of rum drinks in hand, they glance up quickly, then go back watching their regular soaps on satellite TV. It was like a scene from the bar in Star Wars. It would take a lot to rattle this gang from their positions. I believe a ray gun fight between aliens would have barely caused a raised eyebrow . Feeling the chill of the moment, and the contrast from the warm Caribbean sun outside, I downloaded mail and left quickly.

We've spent as much as a whole summer on the boat. By the end of the summer we're ready to get off. In a few weeks, we're ready to go back out. When the New England winter ends, we are really excited to go cruising.

There are many long term cruise who don't end up in the bar from Star Wars , and we salute you . YMMV.

Live and let live. To each their own . All sailing is good.
Old 01-22-2011

PaulfromNWOnt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post

Amen Brutha
Old 01-22-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
I do cruise, sometimes for weeks, but...

* There is more for me on dry land. Climbing, biking, snow skiing, hiking, and people.

* There is more for my kids on dry land. School (I have NEVER seen an individual that could home-school all classes effectively a the high school IB level--it would take a god and all of their time), stable friends, and my list too.

* There is nothing that we are trying to get away from. I am not stressed on dry land. My pace is what I want it to be. I have traveled extensively and this is where I want to live.

I make no excuses. I have what I believe are good reasons. Others can decide for themselves, but I do not see cruising as "living the dream." I am living my dream.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 01-22-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Cruising Means Going Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
There are many long term cruise who don't end up in the bar from Star Wars , and we salute you . YMMV.

And there are quite a few "Cruisers" who do not do much cruising at all; except at the yacht club bar. We know people who self-identify as "Cruisers" that have not moved their boat in ten or even twenty years. They once sailed from point A to point B and are getting ready for the next leg. They just are not quite ready to depart yet. Their boat may be spotless and Bristol fashion or it may be piled with rusty bicycles, brown-spot surfboards and potted plants.

What is the difference between a sailor that has made one lap around the Pacific then nurtured a marine ecosystem on his keel in Honolulu for ten years and the couple that spends a few days, weeks or months at a time in port between long ocean passages for a lifetime or the young family that takes two or three weeks each year hopping from marina to marina in the San Juans? What about the software engineer that charters in the med for a month or does the Ha-ha every year; or even the middle aged Latts and Atts subscriber who charters a forty footer and rents a pirate costume?

They are all part of the cruising culture. Perhaps I should have specified "Long-term cruising" in the initial post. "Long-term" meaning for a year or more.

The real reason I started this thread is that the other day yet another boater told me how "Lucky" we are to live the cruising life and how much he wished he could do it too.

We are not lucky and we did not get here by wishing. We set a goal, made a plan and executed it. Anyone can do it. The goal may be an open-ended long term sailing adventure, a single circumnavigation in a set time frame or a trailer-sailor camp-cruise on a local lake. The process is the same and it is all "Cruising"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
I am living my dream.
And that's it in a nutshell

Last edited by vega1860; 01-23-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2011
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
I'm afraid of not having an income, afraid that I won't be able to have an income while cruising, and afraid that I won't be able to start having an income again after the cruise is done.
Those are my wife's concern, but not mine. I'm more concerned about dying before I get to do it.
Old 01-22-2011

HVVega is on a distinguished road
Just do it and quit whinging says he laughing

I agree that money issues are about the easiest to over come that hard ones are the social conditioning and ingrained paranoia implanted by the daily news telling people what they should be thinking. Once you cast off the lines and escape all that artificial muck things start changing quickly...well for most at least. There are always the ones on the "2 Years to do the World" tour. Who are not really there or here just in some limbo on a boat. Or the ones where he's along because she wants to and she's there because he wants to and both are wishing they were back with facebook or twitter or the latest soap opera. Then we see a lot who do nothing but complain about how bad things are here and how good they were "at home" ME I'm glad if those just go home and quite crying so I can get on enjoying paradise