Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Wow, theres a lot of angst out there on the high seas. I just cruise from the harbour as often and for as long as I can. Always planning but often delayed or postponed. Live and let live ain,t a bad moto.
Happy cruising
Old 01-23-2011

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Cruising? Are we talking about forgoing all ties to the land and sailing off to horizons unknown. Yes, too expensive. I am not independently wealthy. I work hard for a living and enjoy the weekend and occasional week cruises up and down the Maine Coast. Does this make me less of a sailor, or simply more responsible? To cast off for a year of two to simply live out a fantasy? If I didn't have half a million in stocks and my house paid off, the only word to describe that is ludicrous. Some make the choice to buy a 40 footer and become live-aboards, marina allowing. Sure, I can see that. Live on the boat, work a couple of towns over? Sure sounds great. But to simply sail off? Irresponsible . . . unless you have the means. If you do, by all means, sail off. But keep in mind there are us poor cousins to the "real" sailors that must maintain a job, that can't go a year or two unemployed, that can't simply tie back and expect a job to be waiting for us, especially in todays economy. Maybe, just maybe, our dream is simply to sail . . . own a small sailboat and sail. To kick off all sense of reason and plunk down $5000 that we couldn't afford and sail. NO high tech trappings straight from Skippy's Yacht Service, no carbon fiber anything, simply a fiberglass hull, a few cushions and a love for sailing. Who has the greater love for sailing, the one who sails with little and sails as often as possible or the one with the floating house and all the conveniences?

This thread smack of a little of "Let them eat cake."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2011

omaho5 is on a distinguished road
We gotta feed the wild life in Fall and Winter. Lots of deer. In Summer we '
must eat much to fatten up for winter so we can have energy to feed the wild life in F and W.
Sprintime...'tis a myth. Other than this we go sailing from late April till the ice starts forming n Nov.
Old 01-23-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
This thread smack of a little of "Let them eat cake."
More like "Let them drink beer"

Seriously though. It is about priorities.

If your priorities list something like:

1. House
2. Car
3. Flatscreen TV
4. Another Car
5. Another Flatscreen
6. Latest high tech cell phone.
7. Latest fashionable clothes
8. Ski Vacation
42. Cruising in a boat someday

That is fine and you should allocate your resources accordingly.

Here are our priorities:
1. Each other
2. Good Health
3. Cruising
42. Horse farm in Vermont someday

And we have allocated our resources according to plan.

As for the money involved, # 1 and 2 cost virtually nothing and we find that cruising over the past four years has cost a tiny fraction of what it cost to stay in one place and work. Even while living aboard, working costs more than cruising by a significant margin.

Because we have a plan, #42 will happen in due course. We are not wishing for it, we are working toward achieving the goal.

YMMV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-23-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Nicely said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
More like "Let them drink beer"

Seriously though. It is about priorities.

If your priorities list something like:

1. House
2. Car
3. Flatscreen TV
4. Another Car
5. Another Flatscreen
6. Latest high tech cell phone.
7. Latest fashionable clothes
8. Ski Vacation
42. Cruising in a boat someday

That is fine and you should allocate your resources accordingly.

Here are our priorities:
1. Each other
2. Good Health
3. Cruising
42. Horse farm in Vermont someday

And we have allocated our resources according to plan.

As for the money involved, # 1 and 2 cost virtually nothing and we find that cruising over the past four years has cost a tiny fraction of what it cost to stay in one place and work. Even while living aboard, working costs more than cruising by a significant margin.

Because we have a plan, #42 will happen in due course. We are not wishing for it, we are working toward achieving the goal.

YMMV

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-23-2011

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Well, as I said earlier, my priorities actually go:
1. My children (and their future opportunities)
2. My wife
21-ish. Pulling up anchor when the kids don't need us, for some time on the water alone with my wife.

Like yourself, we're working toward our future goals in ways that, we hope, don't impinge on the current ones.

For example, we take the kids out sailing every weekend - giving them the opportunity to take to the water should they desire without preventing them from access to other opportunities unavailable to the cruising lifestyle. At the same time, the wife/admiral and I are also getting more experience reading the wind, handling a sailboat, and talking like a pirate (cos that amuses me ).

The issue that seems to be ignored by the "pro-cruising" comments is that there is a false dichotomy involved. The people not drawing up anchor and sailing off into the wide blue yonder are characterised as having their priorities as
Quote:
1. House
2. Car
3. Flatscreen TV...
whereas the people cruising are characterised by:
Quote:
1. Each other
2. Good Health
3. Cruising...
The only reason I am not out on the water living my cruising dream is because my "each other" includes children that I wish to give every opportunity I can for their future. If I keep one foot onshore (with the job that entails), I can give my kids access to carpentry classes, computer graphics education, horse-riding lessons, drama/dance classes, etc as well as sailing experiences, camping, archery, fishing, etc.

The world isn't as black & white as some are implying, it is not an "excuse" to believe your kids might not want to follow your dreams (and so not giving them other opportunities hinders theirs), and it is insulting to characterise cruisers as being family people and non-cruisers as being materialistic.
Old 01-23-2011
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
I've done the kids thing (been there done that), so I did my duty. I worked for over 35 years building a career that's no longer needed (construction), and I'm not about to start over again or welcome people to Walmart. I've done the nose to the gind stone gig long enough, and now it's time to do for me...to see what's on the other side of the mountain. There's no promise that if we do what's right there will be a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, but there is a promise that will be kept that one day there will be no more. I'm old enough now to be seriously thinking about my bucket list, because I know the longer I live the less time I have to live.
Old 01-24-2011

HVVega is on a distinguished road
Nice to see someone mentioned how much cheaper it is to live cruising than working. It's a little secret us old school boating people have known for years. The social economic traps are well constructed but they must allow escape vents. There are two types of cruising: the one where you try and continue living the same as before on the water and the one where you go I've had it to here and Im off to enjoy the world. If your in the second bunch it will not take long to realise how bad you had it when you thought you had it good. As for schools ... considering The US standing in global education you can plonk the kids in school in Portugal and they will be in a better system. Or go for class and try one of the French countries.. they have some very high standards. What it comes down to is you do it or you don't and all the whys etc really do not matter. Me? I hope you don't so I can continue to have all these great peaceful anchorages all to myself while you slave away to pay for Iraq and the Afghan fiascos.
Old 01-24-2011

HVVega is on a distinguished road
I think the important thing is the quality of life you start living when you are on the move. You stock up at the tax free ports on all the best imported goodies at less than the local generic stuff was costing in your old "Supersavercheapo" super market. You get veggies that were actually grown in dirt not a factory. Oh boy can I go on about that one. No idea what you pay for DVD movies but I pay $1.65. And smokes cost $1.12 a pack. Beers? Try $10.20 a case of 24 for Carlsberg or any of the better brands.We buy real Dutch cheese for cheaper than I bet you pay for those processed slices from Kraft.
Old 01-24-2011

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVVega View Post
As for schools ... considering The US standing in global education you can plonk the kids in school in Portugal and they will be in a better system. Or go for class and try one of the French countries.. they have some very high standards.
Well, being Aussie, that doesn't really apply to me. Our schools are actually pretty damned good. We're by no means the best in the world (or if we are, I despair for global education in general); but we are pretty good all things considered.

But it is not just schools I was talking about. It is not easy to continue lessons in horse-riding, carpentry, etc whilst travelling port-to-port. Possible, probably, but not easy. Not everything we teach our kids is "book learning", and there are some practical skills & sports not possible whilst out on the ocean blue.

Quote:
What it comes down to is you do it or you don't and all the whys etc really do not matter.
I agree with this, but one need not characterise those that don't as materialistic simply because they don't drop everything to pursue their dream. Being a parent is about giving your dreams a little time off so you can raise your kids to be able to fulfil their own.

I know, for example, at least one of my boys is not interested in being a sailor, at least not in the predictable future. Should I squash his dreams to pursue my own? Is not squashing a kids dreams "materialistic"?

Quote:
Me? I hope you don't so I can continue to have all these great peaceful anchorages all to myself while you slave away to pay for Iraq and the Afghan fiascos.
Whilst I would love to engage you on that subject (and I'm not a war-loving guy); this is not the forum for that. We have a political forum on SailNet where this kind of thing gets bashed around plenty. Join us sometime