Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011

HVVega is on a distinguished road
Somew skills are easy to market anywhere and after all what is safe these days?

Where to start?I loved the guy who was just sooooo responsible to everything and everyone except himself! Needed a half million in STOCKS etc to take off and go live in the rest of the world. I can tell he did not have a half mil in stocks or even close when Bush & buddies crashed the stock markets a few years back. There are millions of people who lost everything they had worked for in that rip-off alone.

As to the 30 years from now what makes him feel that he is safe sitting in front of his computer in a rented ( or rented from the bank) house? Guys all that is just as false an image of real life as the one that says you have to have the boat 100% ready before you can go sailing.

Two posts up is a guy who I know would have no trouble in the world finding work that would not only pay very well but also pay tax free so he would get ALL that he earned rather than having to pay for the latest war to keep the arms manufacturers in business and the oil companies happy - read the last three at least.

I know for an absolute fact it is easier to live outside the US with all the comforts that really matter in life than in it. We live better, cheaper, and have a much happier life style. Once you get over the belief that the US is the greatest - read what ever you like - then you might start seeing that the rest of the world doesn't live badly at all, and on a lot less money.

As for work? We have never been short of things to do in the past can't remember how many years, but it has been a long long time. We bought Vega with money we earned in two years working outside America tax free. All legal all above board. Once you get into the bigger picture then it is actually much easier to make ends meet and have a lot of butter left over for your bread.

I could rant on for hours all based on my years of traveling the world but I think those who will are getting the idea. Those who will not - well - someone has to stay behind and pay all the debts that have been run up in our name, or at least they think they do. Won't be me though.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimrdie46 View Post
BS filter needed.

I grew up sailing. I even spent my car fund on a 16' catamaran. I always said "when I retire, it will be on a 40' sailboat." Now at 36 I've started laying out a plan to semi-retire on a ~40'er with a tiny cushion of 50k in the bank. I'm a former US Navy helicopter electrician/rescue swimmer. I've worked on particle accelerators for 14yrs and have a heavy skill set in fixing all things broken, from TiG welding to electronics to sewing and I'm a master diver. And, I just don't see how I can cast off and go for it. When I started drawing up "the plan" I counted on still making 15-20k per year in various ports. But, most of what I've read points to that not coming close to possible. I'll have my wife and daughter with me and taking care of them is my #1. I really want to escape the race to buy crap I don't need but how the heck do I buy what I do need for the next 30yrs? How am I supposed to not just submit to the system?

Josh
With that skill set, you don't think you can make a living on the move?? As a fellow Navy buddy, let me tell you that you can!!

Your welding and diving skills alone would ensure that you could pull in $20k per year in the various ports that you stop in. Trust me. If you buy a Sailrite heavy duty sewing machine and get some training in sailmaking, you could add sail repair to your repetoire.

Imagine pulling into a distant marina for a while, diving on hulls, mending sails, and performing welding and fabrication. Re-build the cruising kitty, and move on.

Your family is the anchor that concerns you. You don't want to accidentally punish your kids through your potential mistakes, and I understand that.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-31-2011

Totally agree

Well said even if I was thinking he could do 3 months with the oil companies doing under water wielding at 20K EURO a MONTH - one Euro is now about $1.35 US - then slide along till next year while also building the retirement fund, but your idea work just as well and is more "relaxed" life style. Just remember American business is not paying very well at all right now ( and that is before you consider the high cost of living, taxes, et al) so get out there where the real money is and have a great life at the same time.
Old 03-31-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Lol...Vega, the reason I laid out the plan for him that I did, is because he said he can weld, but I didn't get the impression that he can weld *under water* which is a totally different skillset.

I have a friend who's a hard-hat diver. He welds at nuclear power plants and the like. He makes an obscene amount of money. If Swimrdie has that skill, then yes, he can do it just as you say.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-31-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Swimr, I agree that with your skill set you should be able to sustain yourself ... be advised that you'll primarily be marketing (discreetly) to other cruisers; some other countries don't issue work permits that could take jobs away from locals.

On our last cruise, we budgeted $2500/month, and that was generous - the only month we came close to spending that much was the time we had the outboard rebuilt THREE TIMES due to ethanol in the fuel. So if you've managed to save up $50K by age 36, you're certainly frugal enough to make it work ... whatever timing you choose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 03-31-2011

limeyrock is on a distinguished road
It comes down to how you measure quality of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVVega View Post
Words
Amen.

There are a lot of frustrated, angry, depressed people out there who by Consumerist standards have fantastic 'quality of life'. They get paid a lot of money working for a 'reputable' company (doing a job they hate), they have a big, beautiful house (on loan from the bank, which they never enjoy because they're working 6 days a week to keep it), they eat expensive ready-prepared food (expensive because of the preparation, marketing and packaging, not the ingredients). They're working incredibly hard and investing a big portion of their life to accruing all the things we are told will make everything good. Still not happy? your [house/TV/Car/Boat] isn't big enough, work harder, get a bigger one.

The idea is that at some point in the future, when everything is paid off you can kick back and enjoy the fruits of your labour. It sounds like a great plan, and it's one that worked for previous generations. The problem is that these days all the processed, pre-packaged food and the stressful job you hate has probably deteriorated your health to the point that you'll die an early death from any number of health problems. If you haven't reached the 'end-zone' by this point the legacy you leave for your children or loved ones could be a burden.

When these frustrated people look (usually down their noses) at an independent person living a 'light' life, the immediate presumption is that they will be unhappy, because the superficial signs of 'quality of life' are absent. When the person turns out to be happier than them, sometimes magnitudes so, a common presumption at this point is that they must be, in some way cheating the system. They must be a rich waster or at least lucky, that's what you need to live happily right?*

The truth is the self-employed or self-sufficient people, be they live-aboards, homesteaders, crofters, etc have set themselves a much more sane and reasonable target; To live efficiently, to own what's theirs, to live well and to owe no other. That's real responsibility right there. There is no working/living divide, they are often one and the same.

*Of course there are these people, there are marinas full of them. There is more than one way to escape the rat race and I bear no ill feelings towards any fellow escapee. The wasteful ones even help to keep the dumpsters stocked with treasure.
Old 03-31-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Nicely articulated, limeyrock

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 03-31-2011

Oh well I knew I was doing something wrong

There are a lot of frustrated, angry, depressed people out there who by Consumerist standards have fantastic 'quality of life'.And all this time we were happy - when living on land - to be in a place where we lived in a beach house wiyh a gardner, house boy, cook, driver and a the like eating fresh veggies from the local farms and fish the fishermen brought round several times a week. And all that time we should have been chasing money or rather more debt I should say... as few people really see any money these days. To think we do not have the latest IWhatever or a new phone that gives change in 38 curencies! The world is lost to us! Now we live at sea most of the time traveling between some of the worlds loveliest plaseson a 119 year old boat. To think all these years we could have been building up more and more debt and paying higher and higher taxes! I should cry at what we missed if I wasn't laughing so hard. On anchor off a tax free tropical island in South East Asia. Just do it! If you can make it in the US you can most likely make it anywhere.
Old 03-31-2011

swimrdie46 is on a distinguished road
Hijacker

Sorry if I hijacked the thread. Thanks guys for the reassuring perspectives. I was most worried by the need to work covertly or the red tape of work visas. I would feel a lot better if I could just hoist an advertising flag. Unfortunately I'm not a hardhat diver. And, I would have to assume that underwater welding is a much different skill. I haven't met any underwater welders that can weld very well on dry land. My wife is a writer and my little girl is home schooled so we are already disconnecting from the system a little bit at a time. But, it looks like I will be weekending it on my little 27' O'Day for another year or so until my $ cushion is a little bigger.
Old 03-31-2011

limeyrock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVVega View Post
And all this time we were happy - when living on land - to be in a place where we lived in a beach house wiyh a gardner, house boy, cook, driver and a the like eating fresh veggies from the local farms and fish the fishermen brought round several times a week.
Reminds me of when I lived in Uganda, I was living out of a rucksack staying in everything from mud huts on the Sudan border to beautiful houses on the shore of lake Victoria. The NGO I was with had a rented house just out of Kampala with a Gardner, Guard, Housemaid. Amazing avocados, fresh Tilapia straight out the lake. Yet some of my colleagues could think of nothing but how we didn't have satelite TV or air conditioning or broadband, and spent their downtime drinking in the ex-pat dive bars.

I spent my spare time building a mountain bike out of scrap parts from the local bicycle yard, and then I rode it all over Kampala. In my spare afternoons I talked to the staff in the evenings and they told me about everything from local superstition to the benefits of Guinea fowl over chickens. I borrowed a dirt bike some evenings and taught myself to ride a motorbike.

A lot of people just can't separate Happiness and Luxury, can't see the real value of things. I call this living in abject luxury.

EDIT:
swimrdie, you haven't hijacked anything, your questions and concerns are bang on topic. God luck and good speed my friend.

Last edited by limeyrock; 03-31-2011 at 09:21 AM.