Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
You didn't hijack it. You are an interesting example of how it can be done, and it was pertinent and worth discussing. You have the skillset, now just investigate how to navigate with/around the work-visa issue so you can work legally.

It's great that your wife has a skill and a job that doesn't require her to be chained in a fabric covered cubicle. That's 50% of the battle!
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2011

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
I've heard both sides, one says you cannot make ANY money outside of your own country, and others that say you can make a fair amount doing odd jobs. Which is it?? It has been my experience that some one with a rare skill, like welding, or computer repair can often get small jobs outside of major cities , (where these services are common), like in small isolated communities where getting something fixed means a long trip to the "BIG" city. I recently got a free stay in a hotel (several hundred dollar value), by showing the manager how to download an antivirus, and setup a firewall. If you are resourceful you can make it happen.
Old 04-01-2011

ScottUK is on a distinguished road
I would like to point out to HVVega, who I assume is a US citizen, that you are liable for US taxes no matter where in the world you generate the income. So I have to question the 'tax free' remark.
Old 04-01-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
I would like to point out to HVVega, who I assume is a US citizen, that you are liable for US taxes no matter where in the world you generate the income. So I have to question the 'tax free' remark.
Only if our criminal government finds out so they can skim their take.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 04-01-2011

ScottUK is on a distinguished road
Regardless you do have to file a return every year if you are a US citizen but are a resident of another country and earn your income in that country. The US is one of the few countries in the world that does this. In my opinion this amounts to double taxation. I have paid taxes in the US from income generated from other countries for years now even though I have not set foot in the US for many years. Though the US has tax treaties with these other countries where citizens from other countries pay US taxes on income generated in the US (fair enough) they do not have to pay taxes to their home country. However in these treaties the language states that US citizens are still liable for US taxes.

I believe in my case the tax burden on the income generated from other countries (I don't have income from the States other than from savings and mutual funds) would be less if the income were generated in the US. Now that is implicitly unfair!
Old 04-05-2011

swimrdie46 is on a distinguished road
The tax issue is getting worse this year. I travel all over the US, Europe, Middle East and Africa for work and for 2011 I will have to pay income tax in the US as well as the country I visit. Trust me, I'm all for working under the radar.
Old 04-05-2011
seeker of wonder

SoulVoyage is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentSailor View Post
The only reason I am not out on the water living my cruising dream is because my "each other" includes children that I wish to give every opportunity I can for their future. If I keep one foot onshore (with the job that entails), I can give my kids access to carpentry classes, computer graphics education, horse-riding lessons, drama/dance classes, etc as well as sailing experiences, camping, archery, fishing, etc.
I could NOT disagree more.

Many, many of the families I've met that have decided to take their kids cruising have ended up with some of the most well-rounded, creative, sociable, fun-loving kids I have ever seen.

The reason?

Cruising kids get used to devising their OWN forms of entertainment. I knew one family who's kids made their own barbie dolls and GI-Joes. The outside world becomes their fort....not some computer screen. This adds to their creativity. They take the time to do artwork and writing aboard.

Far from being social outcasts, I think cruising kids are actually MORE sociable than their landed peers. Most cruising families tend to anchor or travel with other cruising families. This becomes a social network far more REAL than Facebook. Boat gets to a new anchorage, what's the first thing the kids do? Get in the dinghy to scope out if there are any other kids their age. Most kids are naturally sociable (far more than most adults), it's when they sit in front of a computer or TV 6 and 7 hours a day, "socializing" w/ kids they've never even met, that they become less sociable.

And Home-schooled (or boat-schooled) kids are some of the brightest, most educated kids I've met. Often boats with kids will share their educational times with other boat-kids, to become a sort of floating classroom.

I know of cruising families who stay a month or two in certain ports so that their kids CAN take dancing classes and horse-riding lessons.

Sure...there will always be the kids who feel they are being "dragged along against their will". They're called TEENS. You have to deal with those creatures whether you're in a house OR on a boat.

Far from your strange view of thinking that kids will somehow be 'losing out' by being taken cruising.....from what I've seen...the kids would be losing out by NOT going cruising.

Everyone's got different opinions, though....those are just my own.
Old 04-05-2011

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulVoyage View Post
Everyone's got different opinions, though....those are just my own.
-laugh- Nice way to put it. I think, though, that you focused on the social and (academic) educational aspects and left out the other things I try making available to my children.

One of my boys is into choir, drama, and dance. He also happens to be the most interested in sailing funnily enough. I've talked to a few cruisers (admittedly, not many as I don't know more than a handful) and getting him to drama & dance classes (let alone finding a choir that will accept him for short-stays outside church) is immensely difficult.

Another of my boys is a "man's man". Very much into learning wood-working & metal-working, horse-riding, sports camps, etc. Again, things that I cannot easily provide for him whilst cruising.

I've two other children that would probably benefit much more from cruising without missing much. One of them is the stereotype you characterise today's land-locked children by (but no different to what I was like at that age to be honest), and so would benefit alot from being forced to engage the world in other ways. The other is too young to have generated interests outside the family that would be missed.

The thing about family though is that you need to balance the needs of all the members as much as possible. Whilst two of my kids would benefit more from cruising (in my opinion), the other two would have to give up their passions. Whilst I am not worried (at all) by missing visits to/from extended family, my wife is routinely made to feel guilty because we moved two hours away from them.

If I'd been able to get started earlier (back before my children had grown roots), it might be a different story. I, however, must deal with my children as they are rather than as I wish they might be. I love them too much to do otherwise
Old 04-06-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Not quite sure what this thread is about - people do what they do either because they want to, or because they think they have to. In either case, its their business, not mine. It's great for forum members to offer additional information, but I get the sense that BentSailor is feeling defensive about his choices.

But what do I know? When we left we had no dependent children or dependent parents, no cat, no dog, not even houseplants.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 04-06-2011

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Yeah, I'll admit I am a little defensive when it comes to choices I make as father of my children and the reasons for them. Hell, I'm a defensive person by nature - just more so when it comes to those I take care of (hint: never bag out my wife, I'm really not a nice person after that ).

I apologise if I came across as onerous or aggressive. The OP asked the reason for my not going cruising and I felt, perhaps unreasonably so, somewhat defensive when someone decided to tell me I was wrong about my reasons (with me reading into it an implication I was denying my children a better life). I'm very sensitive about my immediate family and will take a step back next time before responding.

Apologies to anyone I spoilt the thread for.