Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Bent, I'm chuckling quietly at you! There you go, apoligizing again. I meant exactly the opposite; my gripe is not at you, it is at anyone beating on you for your choice. You explained - once - that in the situation that is your life, with the information you have about the players, that this is the best option. Others provided what might be relevant information that maybe you hadn't considered. You considered it, then decided your original choice was still the best. Nothing there you have done needs defending.

FWIW, some "friends" have chided us for not cruising further, since we're so free. Thanx, but my interests lie elsewhere. I don't want to be a great sailor, I want to have a great life, while sailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2011
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimrdie46 View Post
The tax issue is getting worse this year. I travel all over the US, Europe, Middle East and Africa for work and for 2011 I will have to pay income tax in the US as well as the country I visit. Trust me, I'm all for working under the radar.
Form 2555 and 1117 are your friends.

I've worked abroad for almost all my adult life, in Israel and now in Canada. Never paid a US penny on what I earned in either place (granted, at least in Israel the taxes were way higher than the US rate would've been).

Talk to your accountant.
Old 04-06-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
WnW said "I don't want to be a great sailor, I want to have a great life, while sailing."
Very well said.
This thread has made me think about why we aren't off cruising in exotic locations, we have the time and resources to do so. Bottom line is that I don't have a burning desire to live aboard year round, and we have some of the best cruising grounds in the world right out our front door, IMHO. I'll be lucky to have explored 10% of the area between Seattle and Juneau before I'm ready to give up boating, and when it's too cold and wet here, there are always boats in warm tropical locations available for charter (so I'm told, no first hand experience). I do have a major ocean crossing on my bucket list (I just want that experience), haven't decided where or when yet though. I guess I'm just really happy where I'm at.
There is also the grandson factor involved :-))

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 04-06-2011

Thanx jrd - hey, I thought the Chesapeake was supposed to be "some of the best cruising grounds in the world" (at least that's what the advertising claims). If you're ever out this way, you're invited aboard and we'll test it out.

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

and
! And a new project:
Old 04-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRu View Post
When I come back from cruising I afraid of crossing streets.
I also can not drive a car above 40 mph.
LOL - too true! Worse, I rented a car whose speedometer was in metric - so I'd be doing "50" in town ... and it felt like I was just driving way too fast, as it would be if I were driving at 50 MPH in town ... until I realized 50 kph was really only 30 mph ...

and
! And a new project:
Old 04-06-2011

Merit25lovers is on a distinguished road
...although the dog loves it, there's no way we'll get the cats on the boat....
Old 04-07-2011

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
Success story

We plan on departing in 14 months on the Ha Ha.
We have been outfitting our new old boat for 2 years.
We had a Catalina 30 for 5 years.

It all started for us when I went sailing with a work buddy. Then decide to take sailing lessions. I loved it. I then thought I was real good after Sabot, Holder and cataermaeran lessions. I took my wife out one winter after noon and turtled the holder. She does not swim well or see well without glases. I will not get into all the gory details.

I was looking for a retirement plan. Not having a lot of money the sailing dream seems the way to go. I had worked on tugs and in the merchant marine in Boston as a young man so am familiar with commercial boating. Not so for my wife.
It took a year to convince her to go sailing again. She sugested this time we took keel boat sailing lessons together. It was a great idea for lots of reasons.

Next I sold the Harley and bought the Catalina 30. Another mistake. I did not counsel with her. For the first year the boat sailed us. My wife hung in there. I read all the books, magazines etc I could on what not to do to get her to come along. It paied off.
Example:
Don NOT make it like camping!
NO yelling!
Have a nice toilet ! May seems strange to some but it is important to my wife.
Curtin’s for privacy etc ect. Some things I do admit I never thought mattered!
We have done this and much more.
For some years we had some hard times with the decision to retire (her to quit her job) and then to retire on a boat. My wife is 12 years younger than me and was worried what would happen to her if I crooked? What about if she needed to return to the work place, what about her SS etc. We eventually worked theses out. Went to a counselor (work benefit) etc.

Next was deciding to sell the Catalina 30 and get a bigger boat. We together searched and decide on a boat, took a couple of years . When we found the boat we liked we talked about it and then we bought it. That was what I should have done before.
It took a while but it has worked out.
We were taking the other day and she mentioned that we should move onto the boat!. We are and at the end of this month. Giving everthing in our little house to our doughter, good timeing as she is moving from roomates to her own appartment.

To keep the social fabric we will cruise Central America Pacific side no further than Ecuador. Our daughter lives in CA as we do. We will not be too far for a flight to meet each other. My wife has never lived out side California.
I mentioned about my wife being a reluctant cruiser and she said “Not any more ”!
So for us it was the whole retirement issue, and the complete change of life issue and it has not been easy but it has worked out and we are together and happy.
My wife is currently taking Spanish classes at SDSU and so I am also learning some Spanish defcto

We decide we wanted a nice safe and comfortable boat for costal cursing . We chose a boat that does not require much climbing around. Has easy access from the stern from the dingy. Three steps to the salon. We chose this instead of a wraparound queen bed on a CC. We are re-upholstering it, have re-powered it, installed a house hold size Vacuflush toilet, nice Kolar shower equipment, new anchor windlass and bow rollers etc. All the work we have done together. No microwave no oil lamps (LED’s) and we chose a 1978 36’ Islander Freeport sail boat.

For instance we had a 50 hp Perkins that ran with 1000 hours on it. We chose to repower and it took a lot of thought. But for us, me at 64, I need to be think of being 70 and keeping us as a couple. I do not want to be chasing parts another country. We replaced everything in the engine room. If I was 30-40 years old maybe we would have gone with the Perkins. Just another choice.
So I know there are the toilet wars and anchor wars and many other but for us this is what is working.
We are lucky that we do have some choices and can afford some of them. That is part of the reason for the 36’ boat.
Hope this helps someone as they sure helped me with the tips on how to treat your mate on a boat, understand their fears, communicate etc. Also my wife is as good as me at sail trim, taking the helm etc. I am also taking over the cooking on the boat as she likes some “blue” jobs and I like cooking a “pink” job. We now have no color codes for these
This is a success story even if for some reason we never leave the dock!
We love each other and are happy and fairley healthy, and ask for no more.
Thanks for listing,
Chip
Old 04-10-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
For some folks it is just too difficult, too uncomfortable, too many sacrifices, too many complications, too many obligations, roots too deep in one place; any of a thousand things.

For us it was simple. It is just the way we live: On a boat. Now here. Tomorrow somewhere else.

Old 04-10-2011

onTheBayChrisJ is on a distinguished road
I'm afraid once I leave, I'll never come back.... actually, "all things have their time" and for me, this time is coming. I've been preping my wife for a couple of years now and it isn't if, its when.
Chris
Old 04-10-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimrdie46 View Post
The tax issue is getting worse this year. I travel all over the US, Europe, Middle East and Africa for work and for 2011 I will have to pay income tax in the US as well as the country I visit. Trust me, I'm all for working under the radar.
I don't consider what we might do as "working under the table". I won't go into the whole Unconstitutionality of wage taxes, or whether or not the tax law was properly ratified, as the information is all over. What I will say, is that if you don't believe that wage taxes are legal and you choose not to pay them, you already pay TONS of taxes on the goods you buy.

Remember the loaf of bread argument about how many taxes are on a loaf of bread? Our tax rate not including income tax is probably somewhere between 80 and 90%, all inclusive. And then consider that every time you buy a used car or boat, you are again paying taxes on an item that has already had tax paid on it. Figure that one out.

So I'm with you on your ideals, just perhaps not your semantics.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.