Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Personally I don't need a reason to head out, just a good excuse. We're getting close, too. One or two more big cases and we'll have a bit of a nest egg built up. The wife can always practice certain areas of law from the boat, and we can skip up and down the California coast as needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
We shall have to get together for a beer Tom.

Old 04-10-2011
Crotchety Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
We shall have to get together for a beer Tom.
Sounds good. let me know when you're in my neck of the waters.

On a separate note, I bought a nice little oil lamp:

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 04-28-2011

Fill52 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Fill52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DulceSuerna View Post
We have 4 greyhounds, our boat is not large enough and greyhounds overheat easily. While we do have dog sitters to allows us weekend and slightly longer trips, we have to wait at least 3-4 more years before we can move aboard. Of course we want a catamaran by then so it will be worth the wait. Income had been a concern Hopefully our rental property and our tree farm will provide enough to keep cruising, our plan 8 months out 4 months back for harvest and maintenance.
Hi. I have similar financial position, but suitable size cat can be built on partnership base much cheapper than average.
Old 04-28-2011

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post

But what do I know? When we left we had no dependent children or dependent parents, no cat, no dog, not even houseplants.

And now? You have all of the above?

I would be interested to hear more about your cruising budget; where you were cruising, how much you spent on what.
I'm looking at retiring in 2-4 years max. and my son will be off to college so....
Old 04-28-2011

Fill52 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Fill52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post

I would be interested to hear more about your cruising budget; where you were cruising, how much you spent on what.
I'm looking at retiring in 2-4 years max. and my son will be off to college so....
I'm not cruising yet, but going to do it in same 2-3 yers time. I have 50' catamaran hules and bridge custom made and planning to finish in by myself. However, if I do it alone it should take a more time and money than I can afford. But a small team can share the budget and make a 2-3 catamaran copies dramaticaly cheapper than I can myself.
Old 04-28-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post

Hi Dave, our cruising area was/is US east coast & Bahamas. We budgeted $2500/month, which we never spent. As well as I could remember, it broke down approximately as $500 maintenance, $150 boat insurnace, $200 communications (2 cell phones, internet, mail-forwarding service), $400 food, $100 booze . The other $1000 or so was combined fuel, marinas, and shoreside entertainment. The months we were really pushing hard to get south, we could spend $400-$500 on diesel alone, OTOH, we didn't spend a lot of time seeking entertainment during those times, we were just too tired. This is a 33-foot boat, paid off, and health insurance for not included in the budget.

We still have no parents, kids, cat, or dog. However, we seem to have acquired houseplants in the form of a complete marine ecosystem growing on the hull below the waterline. Ugh.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 06-10-2011

severnmd is on a distinguished road
This thread has me chomping at the bit to improve my new sailing skills ( less than a 2 weeks) and learn to handle a larger boat. I want to get out there and cruise for awhile!!!!
Old 06-11-2011

rbrasi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Hi Dave, our cruising area was/is US east coast & Bahamas. We budgeted $2500/month, which we never spent. As well as I could remember, it broke down approximately as $500 maintenance, $150 boat insurnace, $200 communications (2 cell phones, internet, mail-forwarding service), $400 food, $100 booze .
$100 on booze a month? Teetotalers!
Old 06-11-2011
Crotchety Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by severnmd View Post
This thread has me chomping at the bit to improve my new sailing skills ( less than a 2 weeks) and learn to handle a larger boat. I want to get out there and cruise for awhile!!!!
Uh oh. You've been bit.

S/V Footprints

Youtube