well spoke vega!.......I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrasi View Post
$100 on booze a month? Teetotalers!
Nope, just knowing where to shop ... a fifth of Cruzan rum only costs about $4 in the USVI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 06-23-2011

cbtucker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to cbtucker
Count me as one of those dirt bound dwellers desperately wanting to live the sailing life! My kids are off to college or will be in a year. Single guy, with only himself to please. However it is amazing what you realize when thinking about simplifying your life to prepare for a different life. Trying to get out from under all of our modern "benefits" is a chore. Getting rid of credit card balances built up living a "better" life. Although in my case it also was the result of a divorce, and then a lay off resulting in a year of unemployment. Now trying to right that ship (hmm - pun much?) is taking some time and effort. I like what was said earlier about not trying to reduce things in your life, but make your plan from the ground up. Starting from the essentials about what you actually need to live. It really does open your eyes as to what is necessary to really LIVE - not maintain a life - but really live! I look forward to a simpler life - i do believe it will be a far more rewarding life (challenging yes - but that in my opinion also can be rewarding!).

Good luck to everybody living the life (be it weekend sailors or live aboard sailors)! I hope to join you one day!

1 man on a mission to live the dream!

Old 06-23-2011

Lin and Larry is on a distinguished road
Don't wait, there will never be a perfect time to go

We're getting ready to visit three boatshows in the US in Sept/Oct and I am reading a few forums to learn what potential cruisers are concerned about. Seems nothing has changed since Larry and I set out with $5000 in the bank, a wonderful little 24'4"sail boat and a dream. Everyone back then gave us reasons we shouldn't take off. Everyone said we needed a bigger boat, bigger budget, more equipment, more money. My folks said I was throwing away my chance at a decent career. (Larry didn't get the same as he was already a professional sailor but his folks said he should settle down and start a business and go cruising when he retired.) None of these turned out to be true and we built a life around cruising for over 40 years. Still love sailing too.

Real reasons not to go, you aren't restless. You love the life you are leading. Even then, a year or two of cruising could add to the life you already have.

One thing I can say is, don't put it off too long. Age does become a factor - very few couples can guarentee that one or the other will not suffer from some sort of health problem after they reach 60 or beyond. Very few over 67 have the energy or agility to handle every situation you might encounter (like setting out an extra anchor when it is blowing 50 knots in a rough anchorage.) If you get out cruising earlier you will have the skills, knowledge and confidence to keep going as age affects you.

hope to see some of you in Port Townsend, Newport or Annapolis.
Lin Pardey
Sailing Blog | Nautical Book Authors | Lin & Larry Pardey
Old 06-24-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin and Larry View Post

One thing I can say is, don't put it off too long. Age does become a factor - very few couples can guarentee that one or the other will not suffer from some sort of health problem after they reach 60 or beyond. Very few over 67 have the energy or agility to handle every situation you might encounter (like setting out an extra anchor when it is blowing 50 knots in a rough anchorage.) If you get out cruising earlier you will have the skills, knowledge and confidence to keep going as age affects you.

hope to see some of you in Port Townsend, Newport or Annapolis.
Lin Pardey
Sailing Blog | Nautical Book Authors | Lin & Larry Pardey
Can I second this. I took a chance when I was 42 sold up everything. put my career on hold and went cruising for 7 years. Best decision I ever made. Now I am retired [ again ] at age 64 and on my forever boat. However if I did not have the experience built up from the first sojurn aboard I doubt if I would have had the bottle to do it.

As the Pardeys say "Go small, go simple, go now" but do go now, Carpe Diem
Old 06-24-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
My wife loves her farm. I love my wife. If I went I'd have to go alone, and I don't want to go that bad.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Old 06-24-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
As my wife always says, get rid of the woman and keep the boat.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 06-24-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
As my wife always says, get rid of the woman and keep the boat.
I thought about that, but I was ten years single between the first wife and this one. Probably should have left then, but I didn't. And I hated the loneliness.
Could have sold my 40 acres and raggedy shack, probably bought a tolerable if scruffy cruiser, found a companion somewhere around salt water, but I didn't have the vision. I grew up dead in the center of North America and didn't really see the option until I read about cruising, and by then I was already getting pretty long in the tooth.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Old 06-24-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkrig View Post
by then I was already getting pretty long in the tooth.
I hear ya, and the wife and I getting a bit long, too. We're almost in a rush to get everything ready, and are close to 80% there. House, furniture, one car, storage, all bills and creditors, GONE. The boat is ready at a moment's notice, well-stocked with a lot of dried and canned goods.

We're 50/50 between our boat and our office now. Hopefully we'll get out of here within a year or so. If the economy really tanks, much sooner.

You could still live aboard if you are close to a lake or move close to an ocean.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 08-06-2011

montenido is on a distinguished road
Hi everybody. I think this is one of the most thought-provoking threads that I have read here on SN. Wow, really good reasons to go now, and equally good reasons not to go yet. I sometimes think about living on my boat while teathered to the dirt. I would have to wait a couple of years for my sons to complete HS. But then, who knows? I am working on my wife. For now, I can see starting with some long charters in the Caribbean, maybe a month or more. If that went well, we could go for longer, perhaps in another tropical area to see what suits us.
BTW, we just returned from a 10-day bareboat in the BVIs aboard a big cat. What a blast. So like most of you, I do feel the pull. I'm beginning to work towards cutting the strings. I agree with much that has been stated here; namely that we spend too much money, time and energy aquiring "things" that have no meaning. My kids went to elementary school in Malibu. Believe me, I know what make believe is like.
Anyway, thanks for the great opinions, encouragement, and logic. You are all living your dreams.

Cheers, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.