Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011

bgoodell is on a distinguished road
land locked

Hi everyone. My wife and I live in the Rocky Mountains and am planning on being here for a few more years (probably 4 more years) before moving to the coast and buying a sailboat . We have a 3 year old son and am planning on having another child soon. We are also planning on cruising for a few years in 5-7 years from now. I grew up sailing but have not done much cruising. Since we live far from the ocean I am wondering about creative ways to still prepare our family for cruising. Here are some ideas:

We have a Vanagon Westfalia that I have rebuilt and enjoy camping in. This seems like it has certain parallels to cruising.

Pledge to charter a boat once a year for atleast a week.

Local Deisel Mechanics course.

Read lots of books, surf the web, etc...

Learn about homeschooling.

What is the best way to learn about radio communications? Get a ham radio license? Could I use the same radio equipment at my house that I would use on a boat. Any good links to more information on this subject?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help.
Baldwin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2011

john1066 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodell View Post

We have a Vanagon Westfalia that I have rebuilt and enjoy camping in. This seems like it has certain parallels to cruising.
Does it have a leak over the skippers berth?
Old 01-25-2011

yep the sunroof leaks when it rains really hard!
Old 01-25-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
While a Ham license is a good idea, for use on a boat, you'd really want a Marine SSB radio that can handle the ham bands as well, like an Icom 802.

Since you're landlocked, that will make prepping a bit more difficult, since you really do need to get time in on a boat at some point. Chartering gives you a bit of that, but there's a big difference between cruising full-time and chartering.

First off, when you charter, you aren't really responsible for maintaining and prepping the boat. When you are cruising, you most definitely are responsible for prepping, provisioning and maintaining the boat.

Second, you have fewer supplies and gear aboard a charter boat than you do a full-time cruising boat. Things like tools, spare parts, etc. are all required for cruising, but not when chartering.

I would highly recommend getting the boat at least a year before you intend to head out so that you can finish fitting the boat out yourself. This will give you a familiarity with the systems on the boat that is vital for cruising. Also, you should own the boat long enough to do some decent shakedown cruises aboard her, so that you get the bugs out of the systems while you're still close to resources to fix them with.

You will, at some point, want to learn something about fiberglass repair/modification, 12 VDC boat electrical systems, plumbing, diesel maintenance and operation, sail rigging and repair, etc. The more self-sufficient you are, the better off you'll be when out cruising.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-25-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-25-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Where in the Rockies are you?

I have a view of the Canadian Rockies from my house.

You might look for a local sailing / yacht club and do some racing. Like the old Porsche ad said "Racing improves the breed." It really help to get a feel the boat.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 01-25-2011

omaho5 is on a distinguished road
You could get in some sailing on Bleu Mesa Res. near Gunnison.
Hell, You could even do some ice boatng in winter there.
Old 01-25-2011

Thanks for the help everyone. We live in Billings, MT now. We are planning to move back home to Bellingham, WA and purchase a boat probably two years before we cast off.
Old 01-25-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodell View Post
Thanks for the help everyone. We live in Billings, MT now. We are planning to move back home to Bellingham, WA and purchase a boat probably two years before we cast off.
I've been to both of those, and if it weren't for the Pacific and warm weather, I'd rather be in either than where I am now.

Great that you are starting younger than I did. You will never regret your time on the ocean, as you probably know.

Your camper idea is good. It will obviously give you and the family a sense of living minimally and close together. In our preparations, the wife and I got rid of the house, moved into a really small quarters, sold all of our furniture, sold everything in storage, and have pruned our lives down to living between our office (we own a business together) and our boat. You might want to think about the pruning thing. You won't be able to take very much aboard.

Keep us all posted!

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 01-28-2011

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
While you are in MT, maybe consider getting a smaller boat to learn how the various systems work, get some time on the water and make sure everyone likes it? looks like there are a bunch of lakes sw of red lodge.
this one is kinda far away:
1984 Catalina Capri 14.2 Sailboat For Sale In Salt Lake City, Utah - BoatTrader.com

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.