Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
There are pockets that are not always safe.. lately St Vincent has been noted for some problems. Cruiser radio nets and grapevines usually warn you of the 'trouble spots'.
Chateabelair is the only anchorage in St Vincent that I would be cautious about. I would not be there on my own but would anchor there with at least two other boats though. The rest are OK now in my opinion. The RUDE BOAT BOYS have been re-educated and are now polite and efficient BEACH FRONT SERVICE PROVIDERS. [QUOTE=Faster;693818].

However Venuzuela is currently a bit of a no go area especially the mainland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Not a good idea to plan to stay year-round.. most people we know of spend November to April down south and return home for the rest of the year. Most haul out for the 'summer' away from the Hurricane belt..
Staying all year round is fine. Just be south during hurricane season. How far South might depend on your insurance Co. weather awareness and boat speed. Just know where the hurricane holes are and go there EARLY if one threatens.

How safe is it in the Caribbean. Well I am in my 8 th year as liveaboard and only once felt threatened [Venuzuela] but I recently spent 2 years touring the US/Canada/Mexico in an RV and that was MUCH SCARIER!

According to the FBI, in 2008 14,180 people were murdered in America. Some states have more registered gun dealers than petrol stations.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
According to the FBI, in 2008 14,180 people were murdered in America. Some states have more registered gun dealers than petrol stations.
And as we have learned from our astute media, guns actually do sneak out of the house in the middle of the night and kill people.....all on their own.

Mike
Old 02-04-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Aren't the ABC island outside the hurricane belt (99% of the time anyway, as New England might be considered as well)? Pretty sure that was the reason for Aruba"s entry and success in the vacation market. Otherwise, its a fairly barren, unattractive and windy island.
Old 02-10-2011

bellefonte is on a distinguished road
Sailing North at that time of year seems very cold and blowey. Has anyone headed south along the west coast of South America during the hurricane season?

But it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you. ... Rachel Dawes
Old 02-11-2011
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
I've never been on my sailboat, but I've enjoyed both Aruba and particularly Bonaire if you get away from the cruise ship docks. I could stand to pass hurricane season in either if there's suitable anchorages/moorings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-11-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Panama (either side) is safe from hurricanes and many people spend the summer in the San Blas Islands to avoid storms. Getting from there back to the Eastern Caribbean is a major, difficult trip. Perhaps it makes sense to think of the Caribbean as two somewhat separate cruising grounds - the eastern and the western with connections along the northern shore of South American and further north via Central America (and possibly Cuba) to Florida and the Bahamas. We met a few boats in the San Blas that were heading east along Colombia and Venezuela but where rare and knew they were in for tough slog.

Many people stay on their boats all year in Grenada. This lovely spot was thought to be safe from hurricanes until it was devastated in 2004(?). Now many insurance companies have moved their latitude limit one degree south. I wondered about the possibility of heading south from Grenada if it appeared to be at risk (perhaps in a 72 hour forecast. You could go to Trinidad although this is a bit to windward or Margarita Island in Venezuela if necessary.
Old 02-16-2011

riversandbar is on a distinguished road
So if you were to stay in the San Blas Islands in Panama for the summer, would it be feasable to make the run back along Central America and Mexico heading back to Texas? Maybe stop in Cancun before making the puddle jump back in the spring time?
Old 02-21-2011

bdietrich is on a distinguished road
lots of info on my web site

Caribbean stuff starting at:
Caribbean

Hurricane stuff at:
Places To Sail

Or start at the top of the whole thing:
Retire Onto A Sailboat

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sailing vessel "Magnolia": 1973 Gulfstar 44 ketch motor-sailer
Old 02-23-2011

riversandbar is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdietrich View Post
Caribbean stuff starting at:
Caribbean

Hurricane stuff at:
Places To Sail

Or start at the top of the whole thing:
Retire Onto A Sailboat

Bill
Thanks Bill!!!!! wow, there is a ton of stuff on your website... gonna have to spend a bunch of time reading it all.

GREAT INFORMATION.
Old 02-23-2011

gigglingdolphins is on a distinguished road
Hi,
check out this site, they are in Cartagena heading to the San Blas and back to Panama. They left Texas in 2003, it is a pretty extensive report of all they have done. They also are helpful in answering questions you may have.

The Adventures of Bruadair
Hans Christian 33T Hull #80
...it's all about the warm and fuzzy feeling you get on your boat.