SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Living Aboard in the Caribbean

12K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  24seven365 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to this site- already love it.

My husband and I are planning on retiring in 6 years to live and sail through the Caribbean- I am very open to any and all information that experienced live aboards can share.

I have heard that it is not very safe- is this true?

Thanks in advance.

Shelly

#2 ·
There are pockets that are not always safe.. lately St Vincent has been noted for some problems. Cruiser radio nets and grapevines usually warn you of the 'trouble spots'.

Not a good idea to plan to stay year-round.. most people we know of spend November to April down south and return home for the rest of the year. Most haul out for the 'summer' away from the Hurricane belt..

#11 ·
There are pockets that are not always safe.. lately St Vincent has been noted for some problems. Cruiser radio nets and grapevines usually warn you of the 'trouble spots'.
Chateabelair is the only anchorage in St Vincent that I would be cautious about. I would not be there on my own but would anchor there with at least two other boats though. The rest are OK now in my opinion. The RUDE BOAT BOYS have been re-educated and are now polite and efficient BEACH FRONT SERVICE PROVIDERS.

However Venuzuela is currently a bit of a no go area especially the mainland.

Not a good idea to plan to stay year-round.. most people we know of spend November to April down south and return home for the rest of the year. Most haul out for the 'summer' away from the Hurricane belt..
Staying all year round is fine. Just be south during hurricane season. How far South might depend on your insurance Co. weather awareness and boat speed. Just know where the hurricane holes are and go there EARLY if one threatens.

How safe is it in the Caribbean. Well I am in my 8 th year as liveaboard and only once felt threatened [Venuzuela] but I recently spent 2 years touring the US/Canada/Mexico in an RV and that was MUCH SCARIER!

According to the FBI, in 2008 14,180 people were murdered in America. Some states have more registered gun dealers than petrol stations.

#3 ·
have just started our 4th year in the Caribbean and have not felt threatened or had a single thing stolen...Safety is 99% prevention...you need to make yourself the hardest target in the anchorage.

We have bars on the hatches, lock ourselves in at night, have remote lights, always lift and lock the dinghy, never anchor in remote locations, never anchor alone and we have sailed past St Vincent 8 times.

We did not visit Venezuela and kept 50 miles off-shore for most of Columbia and all Nicaragua but in Mexico we feel safer than in our Miami home.

However, you need to be out of the hurricane belt July, August, Sept and Oct..so far we have sailed to Nova Scotia, a lovely place...spent 3 months in Trinidad, a terible and unsafe place...and last year we were in Bonaire, Curacao, Cartagena and the San Blas Islands,an experience we plan to repeat

Good luck Phil

#8 ·
"Nipping over to Panama" and through for the summer is harder to do than to type! ;) This is a pretty major undertaking in its own. It's a looong way from the Caribbean chain to Panama, and even longer trying to get back against the trades. And, as mentioned, the storms can be both sides of the continent.

Much easier to head south or north to get to safer waters

#16 ·
Panama (either side) is safe from hurricanes and many people spend the summer in the San Blas Islands to avoid storms. Getting from there back to the Eastern Caribbean is a major, difficult trip. Perhaps it makes sense to think of the Caribbean as two somewhat separate cruising grounds - the eastern and the western with connections along the northern shore of South American and further north via Central America (and possibly Cuba) to Florida and the Bahamas. We met a few boats in the San Blas that were heading east along Colombia and Venezuela but where rare and knew they were in for tough slog.

Many people stay on their boats all year in Grenada. This lovely spot was thought to be safe from hurricanes until it was devastated in 2004(?). Now many insurance companies have moved their latitude limit one degree south. I wondered about the possibility of heading south from Grenada if it appeared to be at risk (perhaps in a 72 hour forecast. You could go to Trinidad although this is a bit to windward or Margarita Island in Venezuela if necessary.

#21 ·
we have been sailing and living on-board in the Caribbean for years. In general I would say that it is much safer than the US with a few exceptions. I would not worry about it at all and as you travel down island you will easily pick-up the info where to be careful at the given time.

With regards to hurricane season a common strategy is to stay in the wonderful cruising grounds around Granada and just north in the Grenadines and then follow the weather forecast closely. If something is coming your way you will have time to run south as far as needed to avoid any hurricanes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.