Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2011

SailingWebGuy is on a distinguished road
Why Don't You Liveaboard?

There are a lot of threads about living aboard and why people do it.

What are some of the reasons why ex-liveaboards have gone back to land?
Old 02-19-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
We found that most move back ashore due to "un-realistic" expectations.

When you expect warm, sunny days - it still rains

Many people can not handle sitting, reading, learning, watching as an activity

When you expect the marina to put down ice-melt, or change light bulbs - and doesn't

You don't realize that the "motion and noise" of the boat NEVER stops

Cramped space or uncomfortable spaces are unforgiving and don't get better.

Life still goes on, and the boat can be an asset or a liability, all depends on your point of view.

However, we love the motion. We are fixing the heating systems, water systems, and have 4 hatches to seal this spring. The view is awesome. We really like each other but still respect the need for privacy or alone time. All the rest is just - life!

Expectations - plain and simple. That being said, there is nothing more miserable than not enjoying your life, ashore or aboard...so make the change!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
What a great question, and one that I've been asking myself lately. I lived aboard for a few years 20 years ago and absolutely LOVED it. My Catalina 36 was a palace for one and not bad when my future ex-wife and dog came aboard. We moved off and started a family on land. It just seemed easier since we were marina bound, not cruising. Twenty years go by, my son's off at college, ex-wife is long gone and I sit here sometimes wondering if I really need all this cr@p I seem to have collected. For me, it comes down to things like where would I put my 2 cars & 2 motorcycles, how much I'd miss my workshop, where would I put my 6 guitars (moisture is bad for them), my guns, my books, my kid's room when he graces me with a visit, and on & on. Fact is, I'm just used to comfort now. I'm 58, not 35 and comfort is a good thing. I like my 70" TV and my big comfy bed. Fortunately, I don't have financial issues as my house and boat are paid for. So, I keep the house and visit the boat several times a week. I never had the dream of sailing away, there are too many other things that I enjoy doing. So, although I do think about it from time to time, I imagine I'll end up keeping both.

Mike
Old 02-20-2011

DavidD. is on a distinguished road
MikeinLA summed it up pretty good. I feel the same way about not wanting to loose my workshop and 50' TV at this point in life. We lived aboard in False creek marina (Vancouver) for several years on our C&C 32 until they moved us off the EXPO 86 fairground site, relocating us down the creek and evenentualy up the Fraser river.
We loved the summers, casting off every Friday night at 5:00, heading over to one of the local islands for the weekend. Loved being free of material possessions like furniture and tons of collected stuff. The winters were harsh at times, but still liked being on the water, with the soothing motion and the visiting ducks, etc.
I really miss the sailing tremendously, I still crew on a couple of races a year. I'm restoring a 20' twin keeler to cruise the coast after retirement in 4 or 5 years (hopefully), but I couldn't give up our 70' manufactured home to go back to the water full time.
I wouldn't trade our live aboard years for a land based home at that time when we were younger, and had a great time with many great memories.
I only regret the many years between then and now not sailing, and really look forward to being on the water again soon.
Old 02-20-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
If you are going to live on your boat, the rest of your life needs to take place near water. (ie, job, kids, grandkids, lifelong friends, community activity, other hobbies, etc.) While sailing may be ones most important personal activity, it is rarely the only important thing in their life. The others may be way inland.

These are among the reasons we don't live aboard now and only expect to do so for approx six months out of each year in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-20-2011

crazyfish is on a distinguished road
I have lived on Crazy Fish for many years off/on and currently off.

A few benefits for being off the boat.

Garage - Work Area
Storage for my collection of scuba equipment
Workplace/storage of tools.
Place to varnish pieces off the boat.

Home office
Multiple computer screens, high speed internet connection make working
from home feasible.

Boat location
Although I live in San Diego and the boat currently is here, planning
on moving the boat up to Long Beach or Ventura/Oxnard this summer
and spending long weekends at Catalina or Channel Islands.

Boat projects
Easier to do interior boat projects when not living on the boat.
I recently replaced the head and all sanitation hoses which took a
few days and it was nice just to close up the boat and head home at
the end of the day. Have some interior varnishing projects currently
and may replace the cabin sole in the near future.

Marc
Old 02-20-2011

montenido is on a distinguished road
I have not lived on board, but my best friend did when I was a teenager. He lived on a 36' catamaran with his aunt and uncle. I thought it was so cool, and spent a lot of time on board with them.

Like many others, I have way too much stuff to leave shore for good, although I fantasize about it.

Crazy Fish, I recommend Channel Islands Marina for your move. Plenty of slips at reasonable prices, and the islands are just off shore. Beautiful up here.

Cheers, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Old 02-20-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Really? Your big screen TVs? If I ever mention a big screen TV as a reason for doing anything, then just shoot me ;-). I do miss my workshop but that is what friends are for. We have a wonderful life aboard and see no change in the future. That being said, we are keeping our options open. We have some land in Maine that we may eventually build on but that is many years down the road.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim R. For This Useful Post:
Irideon (06-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
Really? Your big screen TVs? If I ever mention a big screen TV as a reason for doing anything, then just shoot me ;-).
I've never even bothered watching sports on the boat (of course, I can't even get my antenna to work with these new digital airwaves, even after buying a digital TV). Could you imagine a superbowl party aboard? There is a reason for everything. Admittedly, there are sports bars.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-21-2011
Two many boats!

degreeoff is on a distinguished road
Tools, shop and a wife that gets seasick..........

Now If I could only stay away from working on the damn things I could sail more!

Current boat...
-1985 c-30 TR DONE!! after two new engines and too much labor she floats sails and steams....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.