SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   My top 3 "MUST HAVES" or if it broke I would replace it tomorrow (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/72456-my-top-3-must-haves-if-broke-i-would-replace-tomorrow.html)

F15EWSO 03-01-2011 11:36 AM

My top 3 "MUST HAVES" or if it broke I would replace it tomorrow

All,
I would like to know what item you have on your boat that you are surprised that it is a "must have" and you couldn't live without it. I am not talking about a "wench handle" but am thinking of the item that is particularly useful for the everyday things that make living aboard a challenge. Is it a head-mounted LED light for reading at night? Something useful in the galley? A Kindle? A type of lip-balm....whatever.

Please provide a short list of the top 3 things you couldn't do without.

BBurg 03-01-2011 11:45 AM

Wine (rum), women (wenches) and song (guitar). The rest will take care of itself.

F15EWSO 03-01-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBurg (Post 703732)
Wine (rum), women (wenches) and song (guitar). The rest will take care of itself.

BBurg is a wench similar to the wench handle mentioned in my original post? I feared this would rapidly degenerate. Your list was sort of a "goes without saying" list so AFTER those three do you have anything else?

jrd22 03-01-2011 12:12 PM

In no particular order:
1. Heater (PNW, one source of heat ain't enough)
2. Electric windlass (after 20+ years pulling by hand I couldn't go back)
3. Chartplotter at the helm (I would never go anywhere without my paper charts but having the "chart" in front of me all the time is invaluable).

mstern 03-01-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F15EWSO (Post 703739)
BBurg is a wench similar to the wench handle mentioned in my original post? I feared this would rapidly degenerate. Your list was sort of a "goes without saying" list so AFTER those three do you have anything else?

wench: archaic slang term for a woman, usually a woman of lower class; generally derogatory

winch: a device used to create a mechanical advantage in lifting or moving a line or chain.

I don't even want to know what a "wench handle" does.

Just sayin'...

AdamLein 03-01-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBurg (Post 703732)

I think the OP specifically excluded wench handles.

F15EWSO 03-01-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstern (Post 703757)
I don't even want to know what a "wench handle" does.

Just sayin'...

I found it on google images but had to remove the "moderate safe-search filter"....don't recommend that.

rmeador 03-01-2011 12:57 PM

If we're talking about living aboard, I'd answer: espar heater, computer/internet, pressure fresh water system.

If we're talking about sailing, I'd answer: GPS/chartplotter, autopilot, dodger (and I bet after I get my bimini, I'll add that to the "indispensable" list too)

tomperanteau 03-01-2011 01:54 PM

Refrigeration
Old-time nav equipment
Sail repair tape

This list could be a LOT longer, as probably for most of us.

norsearayder 03-01-2011 02:10 PM

gps/autopilot/freezer