Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2003

devildad is on a distinguished road
Sandy Hook - NY harbor

I am going to be crusing through the area this summer and am wondering about morings/anchorages that are available. Is there any reason to go behind Stanton Is?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2003

slipacre is on a distinguished road
Sandy Hook - NY harbor

Great Kills on Staten Island east shore south of VN bridge is good. Have not used those along sandy hook as they were out of the way and looked exposed on the chart. Behind Staten Island covers a lot of ground but it is very busy with commercial traffic and I know of no good anchorages there.
They may well exist but would be out of your way I would guess.
Todd
Old 06-19-2003

HHJ is on a distinguished road
Sandy Hook - NY harbor

From what I''ve heard (from several sources) is that two of the best achorages are the Perth Amboy (or is it Raritan?) Yacht Club on the NJ side where NJ and Staten Island meet, and Great Kills Harbor, about halfway up Staten Island''s eastern shore. They''re both easy to find on Maptech''s New York Harbor & Approaches chart.
Old 06-20-2003

devildad is on a distinguished road
Sandy Hook - NY harbor

Thanks. We will be meeting friends to go to a Bruce Springsteen concert and will look up both.
Old 06-24-2003

rads is on a distinguished road
Sandy Hook - NY harbor

Atlantic Highlands Municipal Marina offers moorings and also has a safe protected anchorage. There is launch service too. It is about 1 1/2 hours south of the Verazano Bridge. Also might check Liberty marina on the NJ side of the Hudson across from NYC. Check your Embassy Guide.
Mark
Old 01-20-2012

S/V Utopia is on a distinguished road
Sandy Hook is by far one of the most beautiful settings to anchor out in--peaceful, secluded and you can see for miles. We anchored there for the 4th of July and were able to see fireworks for at least 20 towns--not to mention the breathtaking sunsets...I am going to post a pic!!!

Amy
Utopia
37' Endeavour Owner

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
Old 01-20-2012

S/V Utopia is on a distinguished road
Sandy Hook--Beautiful Sunset! 7/4/11
Attached Thumbnails
Sandy Hook - NY harbor-sandyhookforweb.jpg  
jameswilson29 likes this.

Amy
Utopia
37' Endeavour Owner

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
Old 01-20-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Atlantic Highlands has plenty of space to throw the hook or you can rent a REALLY expensive mooring (think it was $60 last time I used one). There is also a little anchorage in Horseshoe Cove, about halfway between the point and Atl. Highlands but you have to be careful of the bar and fish traps going in. It's also exposed in a W-NW wind. I usually use it if the forecast is good. Right behind the Statue of Liberty is a nice, completely protected spot for two or three boats. Follow the channel in S. of the statue and then HUG the bulkhead all the way in. Don't think I'd try it if the tide was dead low. It's a good stop if you're going to proceed through the E.River to LI Sound and are waiting to catch the current going through.
Old 01-20-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
What is the anchorage at Horseshoe Cove like these days? Someone said that the sand spit that used to protect the anchorage has mostly been eroded away.

Where is your concert? That might tell you where to park.
Old 01-20-2012
Well-wisher

pschoonveld is on a distinguished road
Ahyc

Couple notes. First, the thread is nearly 10 years old, but wanted to make sure the info was correct.

Atlantic Highlands Yacht Club (ahyc.net) offers moorings with launch service to non-members for $50/night. The town also has a marina and I believe the rates are under $3/ft for transients.

You may also anchor inside the breakwater, outside the marked channel. New markers were installed in 2011 as many cruisers were anchoring in the channel. The club will provide launch service for $35/night.

The town is a regular stop before jumps south, to Bermuda or across the Atlantic due to the ease of resupplying. There is a small, but well stocked chandlery, auto parts store and large supermarket all within walking distance. The restaurants (particularly the Flaky Tart bakery) make it a nice weekend destination as well.
chef2sail likes this.