Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011

Giffie is on a distinguished road
Customs and Checking in

Hey i've looked around and can't really find the info. if you know a post already please refer me to it, if not then I have a few questions id appreciate some help with.

I'm doing a Trans Atlantic in the spring and well.

How do you find what procedures you need at every port you intend to go to.
They seem to vary so much.

Do you just go and call when you get there and figure it out then.

What if its late at night. all I found on this was you might pay a fee.

Is there specific channels for different places. or is it the same as marinas around here, you contact them and they switch you to a certain channel,

What if they dont speak english or french. guessing they'll figure out your a vessel from a distant place anyway.

Things I do know is that you must fly a Quantine flag until cleared then your courtesy flag, be nice , be polite , and I got that some people carry gifts such as pens or things like that for customs agents. Any help apprecited.

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To follow my sailing adventure's

Last edited by Giffie; 03-18-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
The prudent thing to do would be to check with your own state department and also to check websites for customs and immigration where you might possibly visit. You will need to know ports of entry. You may need visas, for example, and may want to know about any fees in advance, as well as forms of payment. You certainly want to know about firearms rules, if that is an issue. If you are going to the EU, you'll want to know about length of stay rules, lest you overstay and get a hefty bill for "importing" your vessel.

A good policy is to stay on your boat with the quarantine flag out until you verify the location and hours of operation for customs and immigration. You can expect an additional fee for after hours/weekend service.

Doing your homework before departure is in order here.
Old 03-18-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giffie View Post
Hey i've looked around and can't really find the info. if you know a post already please refer me to it, if not then I have a few questions id appreciate some help with.

I'm doing a Trans Atlantic in the spring and well.

How do you find what procedures you need at every port you intend to go to.
They seem to vary so much.

Do you just go and call when you get there and figure it out then.

What if its late at night. all I found on this was you might pay a fee.

Is there specific channels for different places. or is it the same as marinas around here, you contact them and they switch you to a certain channel,

What if they dont speak english or french. guessing they'll figure out your a vessel from a distant place anyway.

Things I do know is that you must fly a Quantine flag until cleared then your courtesy flag, be nice , be polite , and I got that some people carry gifts such as pens or things like that for customs agents. Any help apprecited.

Thanks.
Noonsite is what you need to look at see CLICKY

No gifts required in Europe. Generally if you are in a port visited by the cruising community things wil be fairly relaxed and if you are in a marina the staff will know what to do and where to go. Just have the Q flag flying. Some countries CAN be strict about only the skipper going ashore untill all formalities are completed.

Assuming you are a non EU passport holder there is a nasty surprise in store if you want to visit the group of countries covered by the Schengen Agreement

Quote:
The Schengen Visa issued to nationals of other countries is only valid for 90 days. This means a total of only 90 days can be spent in the Schengen Agreement countries in any 6 month period, even if it is a multi-entry visa and time is spent in countries outside the Agreement. A new visa will not normally be issued within 6 months of the date of first entering a Schengen Agreement country.

For nationals of non-EU countries which do not require a visa (for example, the USA), the 90 day limit still also applies.

In northern waters, the following countries are part of the Agreement :- France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Sweden, Norway and Finland.

In the Mediterranean, the following counties are included:- France, Italy, Malta, Greece, Spain and Portugal.

This restriction may only affect a small number of cruising boats, but since applications for this visa can take some time, are very complicated if not applied for from the crew's home country, extensions are almost impossible to obtain and fines are imposed for over-staying, it is something of which to be aware.
Make sure you have the necessary certificates for a country onboard. In some cases they MUST BE THE ORIGINALS. France is picky about this. Things like boat registration docs, skippers certificate of competance, Radio licences etc.

Last edited by TQA; 03-18-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-18-2011

night0wl is on a distinguished road
www.noonsite.com

Has good and updated procedures for most countries
Old 03-18-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Try noonsite.com for the nations you will be entering, and contact their consulates or "customs" agencies directly to confirm, in writing, what you may need.

Just showing up can be a bad idea, folks tend to get upset if you show up without a visa or other papers and they are needed.

You'll also find each country has their own ideas about contraband, including foodstuffs. Know what to leave behind, consume, or dump before you get there. (Heck, even in Canada it can be problematic bringing in potatoes and blueberries, of all the dangerous things!)
Old 03-31-2011
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Assuming you are a non EU passport holder there is a nasty surprise in store if you want to visit the group of countries covered by the Schengen Agreement.
Can you explain, please?
Old 03-31-2011

lickingcardboard is on a distinguished road
Trekka read up a few post and in the Quote there is the Answer your looking for.
Old 04-01-2011
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road
Duh - that's what happens when I scan too quickly.

thanksfornotmakingmefeellikeacompleteidiot

Would make a European cruise pretty difficult. Could spend time in Ireland, UK before crossing to continent. But once there, if going through inland waterways to the Med, would have very limited options on where to go with that 90 day clock ticking. Even cruising coastal, that's not much time, especially if waiting for favorable weather and season.

Last edited by Trekka; 04-01-2011 at 02:48 AM.
Old 04-01-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Not to worry, Trekka. In their great wisdom of evicting vagrants, ah, rousting tourists, the Schengen countries has just ensured that riff-raff will have to go visit the further reaches of the Med. Turkey, ex-Yugolavia, the south shore if the revolutions settle down...

Or you could of course simply declare war, announce you're conquering that territory in the name of Canada, and confuse the hell out of them. :-)

If someone at a border asks me "The purpose of your visit?" I tend to reply "Conquest and pillage. But if you'll leave the gold, cattle and women stacked up by the border, I can just pick them up on my way out, and we can skip all the messy plundering and burning business."

Well, I've held up MY end of the bargain, but they never seem to stack up the gold and cattle for me.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.