Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011

urbanfood is on a distinguished road
best way to store clothes on the boat?

hi all,

just purchased my first boat for liveaboard, a very well maintained 77 newport 30. will be sailing her down from ventura as soon as this storm lets up.

i'd like to know the best way to store clothes on the boat. i have plastic storage bins that i'm planning on using and was wondering if i should put anything in them, i.e. bounce dryer sheet (i'm experimenting with that now) or those dessicant packets.

what would you suggest?

thanks, david
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2011

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Vac- storage bags work well, you'd be surprised how much they will hold

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 03-20-2011

urbanfood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Vac- storage bags work well, you'd be surprised how much they will hold
i'm thinking more for everyday use of clothes et all. arent the vac bags for more long term storage?
Old 03-20-2011

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Oh, yeah vac is not the best idea for daily useage.....sorry

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 03-20-2011

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Our boat doesn't have much locker space for clothes but we do have two hanging lockers. I picked up a mesh hanging shoe holder. It is great for shorts, t-shirts, socks, and underwear. The mesh lets it breathe.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 03-20-2011

We lucky in that area, lots of lockers and drawers to keep the daily use stuff and lots of storage for seasonal items that we keep in vac bags.

On our last boat we got into the habit of rolling cloths and towels and keeping them in over night bags, there again you be surprised at how much space you created by rolling things up, plus they don't get all wrinkled

Old 03-20-2011

captflood is on a distinguished road
Greeting Earthlings; string bags are good, alows your gear to breath and can be used to launder it as well. Get yourself a hotwater bottle is one of the best comfort kit you can get (you can re-cycle the water in it) and before you change wrap your clothes up in it HOT OR COLD remeber a good selection of flasks also serves well on the boat store them well GO SAVE
Old 04-01-2011

CarolynShearlock is on a distinguished road
I used plastic bins in a converted hanging locker. Just rolled my clothes and put them in -- nothing special. It worked really well.

If you have a choice, get bins with ventilation holes. Wal-mart has some great ones made by Sterilite (mine were solid because that's all I could get when we finally decided to convert the hanging locker in Mexico). The one thing I learned in six years of cruising was that more ventilation is ALWAYS better!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.